Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm
Fired off 6 at spring valley the other day, NICE. I went ahead & did up a hundred more WOOT!
Oh btw after the 2nd trip to OEO I asked someone about small pistol primers- they're "out back". So I managed to pick up a thousand.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post subject: Re: First Ingots :)
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am
i cant wait to hear how they do for you . ... how and what did you use for lube . .. im a pan luber myself .
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:46 pm
right now I'm using the lee lube, but when it's gone I've got a tub of JPW.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 pm
ive had pretty good luck with the liquid alox ... less is usualy better in my experiance
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm
How did you end up sizing them...or did you just measure?

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 pm
I measured a large sample and they were all .358-.36 with the .36 being an oblong, so I chose to go with an oal of about 1.48 with no crimp and a bullseye load of 3.4-3.5 The six I took to the range worked well as far as feel and accuracy. None of my other rounds affected by recoil.

My sizer is on the way though, I found one at FS yesterday and ordered it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm
next time you cast make keep five or six samples from each cavity .. makin sure you know which cavity they came from so you can see if maybe you have cavities that arent round . or if maybe you arent keeping a consistant grip on the handles while pouring .
or maybe not quite closing the blocks correctly . also keep an eye on the mold halves whole casting being sure you dont get any lead between the blocks .

if you do have one or both cavities out of round send em back lee will replaace them
personaly i dont get to excited about it .... .001 - .002 isnt that big a deal .. the barrel will make em round
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:04 pm
I'm going to try (biting my tongue) not to cast until it gets a little warmer. That little variance doesn't bother me much either, and I'm definitely going to run them all thru the lubersizer. Cadence & temp is what I'm looking at fixing, otherwise for my purposes I think I'm all set. After some experience I'll start to tinker with semi-auto stuff, but for now I'll stick to .38's

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 am
Cast a couple hundred more day before yesterday, slightly frosty & well filled :) After using the .358 lubrisizer the bullets were seating noticeably looser, so I added a medium crimp. Also backed off the powder to 3.3gr. Can't wait to get to the range to check 'em out!

I was getting some pretty bad leading before. Hopefully some of the improvements will help. This latest batch I did add about a foot of 60/40 solder I found in the garage. I was pricing tin, and jeezzzz it's expensive :(

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm
yes sir tin is way pricey .. havent looked for a few months but last i seen it was up over $17 a lb

but fear not there is other ways of getting tin . the cheapest and easiest is to search yard/garage sales and thrift stores for pewter
i dont usualy add any tin to wheel weights .. but sometimes it is needed ... a little goes a very long way .

usualy if im adding tin its just a pinch to aid fill out .... sometimes after gettin my a** kicked at a bpcr shoot i go back to trying a 1-20 alloy instead of wheel weights .. but it never lasts long .. all that tin gets expensive quickly with 535 grain bullets
Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 pm
Just a heads up- I scored a Lee carbide 4 die set for 45acp AND a 2 cavity die .452/230RN at Natchezss this afternoon... upon further exploration it looks like they've gotten a shipment of Lee...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:16 pm
we have .45acp :) And..... Christmas pewter lol

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 pm
hey things are looking like you are improving .. woo hoo .

now you just need more heat ... your getting good fillout everywhere except them pesky rounded bases .. more heat, more heat ... you arent very far off , if you can squeeze another 25-50 degrees out of that hot plate i think you are going to be there .... cast on a 65 -70 degree day an it might be enough .

and good job on the lube ... so many people ( me included ) tend to over do the alox
Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 pm
Thanks man, I guess I'll have to spring for a thermometer, I can't quite estimate that temp. On the alox- I found an old toaster oven, and it's got a nice aluminum tray in it. I set it to the lowest temp and start the preheat. When the bell goes off, they're ready to tumble :)

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3