Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Got lucky and scored about 60lbs of weights last week. Almost had 240lbs today but then the guy came back and said "sorry man, there's another guy that buys them" :cry:

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post subject: Re: First Ingots :)
Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm
what molds do you have?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 pm
these are stainless steel condiment cups from walmart- they are near the utensils section. they worked ~perfectly~ 4 for .99 so I grabbed 3 packs.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm
ooooh pretty ... those condiment cups are a great idea .

old muffin tins work very well to ... just try to stay away from aluminum
Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 pm
I've been haunting castboolits for a little while- so much GREAT info there. I guess I better add SAFETY before anybody else finds this interesting this stuff is Molten Heavy Metal. I was hesitant to even go into casting, but I think if you use all the precautions it can be a safe thing to do.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm
Hooray we have Bullets !!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 am
Quote:
Hooray we have Bullets !!!

YAY! :P

Now shoot them and make more!

I wish I had the time to pick up a new hobby. Sure looks like fun.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 am
well, the making of ingots is dirty smelly work- but had I known how easy it is to make the bullets, I never would have waited so long. Too bad small pistol primers are so rare right now :? I have no idea why they're gone as well as manufactured ammo. There can't be as many reloaders as there are people who buy their ammo ?!? Very much a mystery to me.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm
I am enjoying watching your journey into bullet casting ... keep up the pics!

What caliber, grains, etc bullets are you casting? What mold? etc...

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm
I'm using the lee 2 cavity 158gr .38/.357 I wasn't going to size them but I'm getting too much variance- .358-.36
The mold works wonderfully, and I have a black & decker hotplate that I can run on high and the temp is perfect. I don't have a thermometer so that's a big plus.

On a side note- I did buy a IR thermometer, and it does NOT work. My guess is that the surface of the lead is so shiny that the IR bounces off it :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm
How are you going to size them? Do you have a lubrisizer?

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:42 pm
well.... looks like I can't atm. The Lee .358 lube/size die is backordered for a month it looks like. Crazy times eh?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 pm
looks like your off to a good start . they look nicer then the first bullets i casted 20 plus years ago .
i noticed you mentioned a varience in size while casting , along with rounded edges and a few minor wrinkles in the pic .
not a big deal for plinking ammo at all .. except for the undersized bullets .. they likely wont shoot worth a hoot and may tend to lead your barrel a bit ..

but i do have a few pointers that may help .
turn your heat up a bit and try casting a bit faster ... you want to run the melt and mold hot enough to get nice sharp bullet bases lube grooves and driving bands ... the base is the most important part to have a nice sharp clean edge it is the last thing to touch the barrel after all .
the lee molds tend to work best when everything is hot enough that your bullets come out just slightly frosted looking .

the next thing to work on is a cadence ... you want to do the same thing every time pour to keep bullet weights and dia the same over the entire casting session .
i like to use a clock to keep me on on track when i cast .. if you do every thing taking the same amount of time for each step youll find you have much more consistant bullets mostly due to a consistant mold temp ... even more critical with aluminum molds due to rapid heat loss .

if you find it hard to get crisp edges using wheel weights add just a bit of tin .. a few inches of solder per 10 lbs of melt can make a huge differance in fill out .

as to sizing your on your own there ... i dont size anything .. if itll chamber i shoot it .

but darn good job .. your off to a great start

oh and yea the infared thermometer is useless for lead been there tried that to
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:46 pm
Roger,

If you're coming to the Buckeye Bash and haven't found any primers yet, let me know. I'd be willing to trade a few hundred small pistol primers for some of those bullets. I personally wouldn't have a problem running those through my revolver.

Also, midway USA is showing the Lee sizer/lube die back ordered until 2/24. It might be a good idea to get your order in. I don't think they charge your card until they become available and they've been known to get things in a bit early.

As far as the primers being hard to find, I think the same companies use the same primers for the loaded ammo they sell. If they can sell ammo, they're gonna put the primers into cartirdges before they put them in a box for less profit. That and people are stocking up on reloading and new reloaders are getting started because of the "shortage".

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:50 pm
stephen45-70 wrote:
looks like your off to a good start . they look nicer then the first bullets i casted 20 plus years ago .
i noticed you mentioned a varience in size while casting , along with rounded edges and a few minor wrinkles in the pic .
not a big deal for plinking ammo at all .. except for the undersized bullets .. they likely wont shoot worth a hoot and may tend to lead your barrel a bit ..

but i do have a few pointers that may help .
turn your heat up a bit and try casting a bit faster ... you want to run the melt and mold hot enough to get nice sharp bullet bases lube grooves and driving bands ... the base is the most important part to have a nice sharp clean edge it is the last thing to touch the barrel after all .
the lee molds tend to work best when everything is hot enough that your bullets come out just slightly frosted looking .

the next thing to work on is a cadence ... you want to do the same thing every time pour to keep bullet weights and dia the same over the entire casting session .
i like to use a clock to keep me on on track when i cast .. if you do every thing taking the same amount of time for each step youll find you have much more consistant bullets mostly due to a consistant mold temp ... even more critical with aluminum molds due to rapid heat loss .

if you find it hard to get crisp edges using wheel weights add just a bit of tin .. a few inches of solder per 10 lbs of melt can make a huge differance in fill out .

as to sizing your on your own there ... i dont size anything .. if itll chamber i shoot it .

but darn good job .. your off to a great start

oh and yea the infared thermometer is useless for lead been there tried that to

Great tips, thank you! My hot plate is going full throttle- it didn't help that I was outside, it was between 30-40 degrees out with a bit of wind. Was doing a 6 count & then dropping the bullets. Those were my very first run, thanks for the compliments! I can't wait for warm weather to get here.

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next