Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 pm
working on a hot plate is tough .. but as you found out its still doable. .. camp stoves or a turkey fryer might work a bit better for you if you happen to have either .
but keep the hotplate even after you upgrade . they work great for preheating the molds .
Post subject: Re: First Ingots :)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 am
I've used a hot plate and found it worked real well. I forget the wattage though. I am thinking 1400 or 1500 watts. It handled about 15 pounds or so pretty easy.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:29 am
NRAInstructor- thanks so much for the offer- unfortunately I won't be attending. Primers will be back, I'm sure.

I already have an upright propane cooker, I used it to do the ingots. When it warms up and the wind quits blowing, I'm pretty sure the hotplate will reach an optimum temp. If not, to the cooker I go! Think I'll still wait for the lube & sizer though, I'll feel better knowing they're all more uniform.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 am
Congrats Roger, they look great.
I have got some ingots made but have not gotten around to casting any
boolits yet.
Also have a couple molds on back order.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:16 pm
Thanks! As stephen45-70 said, my mold isn't staying hot enough- I'll probably dump the whole first batch and recast when the weather warms up. My garage is the only place I have to do it, and the bay door has to be all the way up lol. You should have seen the crap I had stacked up as a wind barrier :lol:

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:27 pm
oh no dont dump the entire batch , just sit down with a set of verneers and pick out the undersized bullets .
if they are groove dia or larger shoot em ... rounded edges wont hurt a single thing for general plinking .. youd be suprised at how well even a realy ugly bullet can shoot at 25 feet
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 pm
Well Roger, you inspired me. I cast my first bullets today. They turned out pretty well although there is a thin rim around part of the base on several of them where the sprue plate didn't cut clean.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm
born free
are you using a lee mold or ?
Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 pm
stephen45-70 wrote:
born free
are you using a lee mold or ?

Yes, it is a Lee 6 cavity .358 dia. Using bottom pour pot.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47 am
kinda sounds like your sprue plate isnt quite tight enough .
did you happen to notice if it was all cavities leaving flash or maybe just one or two of the cavities at the handle end
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 am
I didn't notice but I will check the tightness and watch for that the next time. Thanks

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 am
lee sprue plates can be a bit touchy . .. dont try to turn the screw unless the mold is hot.
and the real bad part is once you do turn the screw you will most likely have to drill and tap the block for a set screw to keep the sprue plate screw from loosening up again .

so youll want to be absolutly sure what the problem is before you mess with it
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 am
I agree about the sprue plate- during casting I have to retighten sometimes.

Also- I've run a few practice (without powder/primer) , and I'm going to get the luber/sizer. I can probably make ammo without crimping as long as I measure the bullets... but as is, my loads won't go into the crimper die. I'll probably end up with split shells sooner?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 pm
what are you using for a crimp die ?

and what is stopping them from going in ? to much flare on the case ? bullet nose dia to large ?

on thing i always do for loads i deem a crimp is needed is i always seat and crimp as two differant steps .
and i never use the factory crimp die ... ive found it usualy swedges the bullet as it goes threw the die ... never a good thing with cast .

ive never found a need for a hard crimp with anything , even my big bores . proper neck tension is more then adequite to keep things in place in 97% of all handgun aplications .
or at least it has been for all of my needs
Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 pm
I got the 4 die carbide set and it includes a crimp die. I'm thinking that it won't pass a .36 diameter bullet seating. Or quite possibly, I'm doing it wrong :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next