Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: some more equipment questions
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am
1.) What is the best way to remove a military crimp from the primer pocket for you and why? What have you tried and did not like for the job? I'm looking at possibly either the RCBS bench tool (the separate one, not the die set) or the hand tool, unless there is a better system.

2.) What is a good caliper to get to start with and/or where to get a good quality one for a reasonable price. Some people have told me harbor freight but not sure if that is wise.

3.) What manual(s) would you suggest I get to use at the beginning? I am currently working my way through the ABCs of reloading and making sure I understand it as I go.

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post subject: Re: some more equipment questions
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 am
No idea about the rest, but I bought Frankford Arsenal calipers & scale. As far as manuals go, I hear that it can't hurt to get several, but I hear the most about Lyman's 49th, Speer, Hornady, and Lee Precision.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am
The answer to number one is the hydraulic method. You can make the tool for free.

Once the primers are out, you can clean the lip of the priming pockets with a Lee chamfer and deburring tool $4.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/389104 ... rring-tool

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am
If you want to prep military brass on a large scale, the Dillon machine gets good reviews for handling the crimped primer pockets:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... _Swage_600

--
James Beatty
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 am
jabeatty wrote:
If you want to prep military brass on a large scale, the Dillon machine gets good reviews for handling the crimped primer pockets:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... _Swage_600

That's very similar to the RCBS one I am looking at just a different motion for the handle. I'll look into that one as well, thanks.

Dan,
The method you showed only removes the primer, you still need to remove the crimp from the primer pocket which the narrator also states. That is what I am asking about in number 1.

"All the public shootings in the United States in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where concealed handguns have been banned. "Washington Times article
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:38 pm
I believe that hydraulic method is more geared toward berdan primered cases. I can't image wasting that much time to remove boxer style primers...

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager because a local gun shop had it at a deep discount (and because I am cheap.) It seems to work well for me but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

As far as calipers go I feel the harbor freight models are fine as long as they are consistent. I have seen some of the really cheap ones give different readings if you open and close them multiple times.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for manuals, and the more sources you have the better.

Keep your friends close and your .45 closer!
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm
the harbor frieght calipers work just fine for measuring over all lenght and such .. i just personaly recomend the dial calipers ... the set i have ive had for 20 years no issues .

if you do go digital i'd find a better set elsewhere ... the ones ive had a a few others ive know who have had them all complain about the same problems .. batteries . the things realy eat batteries for ome reason
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm
I had an RCBS dial caliper and it worked but it was a little hard to read (for me). I bought one of the Kobalt digital calipers at Lowes and it has worked fine for 2 years. I've changed the battery once but it came with a spare. I don't do any precision loading but I use the Frankford digital scale lately. I want to say it was less than 30 bucks at Midway-USA.

I haven't messed with military cases except for 9mm. The non-military ones are plentiful enough that I just started tossing anything with a military headstamp.

Also, I still have your 223 brass here and they are all deprimed,sized polished and swaged thanks to the guy that sold them to us.

Manuals depend on what you're loading. If you are going to do multiple calibers and bullet types and plan on experimenting it makes sense to have a few manuals. I have the Speer manual, a Lee manual and get the rest online at manufacturer websites. Or, you could ask Rich- which is cheaper.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm
Quote:
Dan,
The method you showed only removes the primer, you still need to remove the crimp from the primer pocket which the narrator also states. That is what I am asking about in number 1.

He also said this:

Quote:
Once the primers are out, you can clean the lip of the priming pockets with a Lee chamfer and deburring tool $4.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/389104 ... rring-tool

Takes a little time but effective, I've used the Lee tool on the 9mm cases I mentioned. It's also handy just for cleaning the pocket of regular cases which can make your primers seat smoother.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]