Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: barrel length vs Muzzle velocity .454 Casull/45LC
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 pm
I have a Ruger Alaskan chambered in .454 Casull/45LC. :surp: The barrel is 2.5". All or most of the ballistic data is giving for a 7.5" barrel. Is there a rule of thumb or a link to information so that I can get an estimate of projectile performance out of my hand mortar. Thanks in advance.

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post subject: Re: barrel length vs Muzzle velocity .454 Casull/45LC
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:15 pm
This is a great site for ballistics data. They seem to have .45 Colt data but not .454 ... Maybe it's chronograph time? :D :D

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:53 pm
Viking wrote:
This is a great site for ballistics data. They seem to have .45 Colt data but not .454 ... Maybe it's chronograph time? :D :D

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

that is a pretty good sight, i did some calculations and it looks like the bullet looses between 300 and 600 ft/sec. depending on the caliber. the 44mag lost 404 ft/sec in 5 inches which is the closest to 454 casull listed. If someone has 454 casull specific data, I'm still interested in it but thanks Viking for the start.

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:08 pm
you can negate a good portion of the lost energy from the short barrel by shooting heavy for caliber bullets from the casull , more mass = 's more energy ..
Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:03 am
Double tap ammo is sometimes a good source for data on a variety of bbl lengths, and in a few cases I emailed the website with questions on shorter bbls and they got right back to me. I bet if you look, and if the data is not there, ask you will get an answer pretty quick. They seem to have tested their ammo in a LOT of the guns avail in the caliber they load for.

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am
here is the response I got back from hornady "You will loose approximately 25 fps to 30 fps per inch in barrel loss, so, with a 5" shorter barrel you will loose 125 fps to 150 fps."

From my calculations this number is seemingly a little low, across the wider range of ammo outside the 454 Casull caliber. The link I was given in the second response averages around a 400fps drop over 5 inches. I guess its time for a chrono lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]