Page 3 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Win94ae wrote:
willbird wrote:
... and I only pass the yield strength of the brass (just to find it then back down again) in very strong guns that would survive an over pressure event gracefully.

I don't intentionally pass the yield strength on any of my rifles.
One can only work-up to a point they find pressure signs then stop.

I can tell I'm not going to be posting here much.

I'm not cutting you down, merely pointing out that the only "pressure" signs we can truly trust is when you surpass the yield point of the BRASS CASE, and I will not be doing THAT in a Springfield, or in a brittle mauser action for that matter either.

We all grew up looking at fired primers and using what we see as indications of the pressure of the fired round, but as more and more strain gauge stuff becomes avail cheaper and cheaper (down to $700 or so now) it becomes more and more apparent that "pressure signs" are not very good indicators of true chamber pressure.

Rifle actions in general are about twice as strong as the cartridge case....but the issue with the Springfield specifically is that due to the cone breech a LOT of case hangs out, and when that fails due to an over pressure event, the brittle action shatters, or can do so due to the unconstrained gas.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
 Page 3 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3