Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm
So I thought I'd post up a short review of my new Lee classic reloader kit. If you like bear skins and stone knives this is the reloader you need. :lol: Honestly it is pretty cool and I bought one so I could reload 45-70 govt rounds. Basically it a die and instead of a press you use a rubber mallet or piece of wood. I can see this being a pretty cool way for a beginner to get their feet wet for pennies on the dollar over an expensive press. Not fast but effective.
I made one round last night just to test it out. I'll admit I was hesitant about smacking a bullet like a 45-70 with even a rubber mallet but I'll be damed it works and the test firing today proved it. 100 yard+ unsupported shot hitting a 10X16 inch plate. :D Made up two more rounds this evening in no time flat now that I have a better idea what I'm doing with it and have the length set properly.
So if you are looking to start reloading and want to do it on the cheap here is a great way to do that. :wink:

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post subject: Re: Lee classic reloader
Post Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 pm
I was considering one of these instead of a single stage lee press for my. 308
Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:51 am
I've mentioned starting into reloading some 40 years ago and not doing it. One of the "devices" we bought was one of those. (We also bought a conventional single-stage press. Progressives existed, but cost too much for our budget at the time.)

Very slow, especially if you've used a progressive, but IMHO, a handy gadget to have around even if you're doing a full setup with a progressive, or just making multiple passes in a single stage. However, if you need a quick decap, for example, and the press has a bullet seating die set up in it, bingo! $40-ish, I think. You can find a used single-stage press in that same price range, but then you have to buy a die set, and, naturally, the wrong die's going to be in it.... (I have a junk press here with a decapper in it. I was doing a lot of that originally.)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:02 am
Back in the early 80s, the guy who showed me to reload gave me a very well used set in 38/357. He, a couple buddies and meself would go to the Eglin AFB/Hurlbert Field Rod and Gun Club with our 357 magnums. We'd spend hours going up to the line shoot a hand full, hit the bench reload the spent cartridges and repeat. If we were lucky maybe shoot a 150 or so rounds.

We had a blast and it was a great way to spend a Saturday. Enjoy.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:23 pm
i started out using a whack a mole lee loader ... i do tend to collect them and highly recomend them to anyone looking to start reloading cheaply and safely .

one caveat ... always wear safety glasses ... eventualy you will set off a primer and scare the crap outta yourself
Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:35 pm
stephen45-70 wrote:
i started out using a whack a mole lee loader ... i do tend to collect them and highly recomend them to anyone looking to start reloading cheaply and safely .

one caveat ... always wear safety glasses ... eventualy you will set off a primer and scare the crap outta yourself

Don't you mean 'Whac-A-Bullet'?

Yep, darn near pizzed myself. That was about a year after I started reloading with it.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:02 am
stephen45-70 wrote:

That's funny. :lol: I can see where something like this for smaller calibers would be a pain but for the the big 45-70 rounds it seems like a really great idea. Cheapest I can find 45-70 rounds is $32 for 20, so still $1.50 a bullet. but I can reload them for $.40. :wink: So 30 rounds reloaded and I have paid for the reloader in savings. :D

Motorcycle and gun videos from ADVfilmer in Ohio. http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer?feature=mhee
Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:51 am
One thing to be aware of for the guy who mentioned 308, the dies neck size only, meaning eventually with full power loads the headspace on the cases will get long enough that they will not chamber easily. We refer to that as "the bolt handle getting tight" and it puts a lot more wear on the locking lugs than rounds which have the proper .002 headspace minimum.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm
Speaking of Lee reloaders and other Lee products, I just ran across this when looking up ammo on the Walmart.com website. I don't know how long this link will work but try it anyway.

Lee Precision 6 Cavity Mold, .44 Caliber
$48.99

That's a pretty good price for that "mold". :roll:

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 pm
Alan:

Wonder what you'd actually get if you ordered that....

(If I had any use for a .44 mold and a spare $50.... :D)

Telling their search engine to show only handguns, just for fun, included a few pellet or BB guns and some things that appear to be AR's....

No real handguns, though....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:24 am
So as an update I love these simple reloaders. I bought another for 38spl since I don't shoot a ton of them, 223 and 30 carbine. The 223 is a gift to my future BIL for Christmas with bullets, primers and powder to make 90 rounds or so. I had to return the 30 carbine to midway because it was missing parts and the die was not right. The new one is to arrive tomorrow. I have 50 rounds cleaned and ready to reload with it so I hope this one is good. Note: Midway said they would test and confirm the die was good with the new one they are shipping. ;)

38 reloaded

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm
buildit,

Looks good! Sometime this Spring/Summer I am going to pick up a 45-70 and start reloading for it, but I have other projects to finish first. I though that this might be a good idea to pick up one of these for use out in the field or just when I can't get to my shop. I have both the LEE single stage & the Classic turret press - used them for years, the both work great but a small portable press like this might just come in handy.

Thanks for the post.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:54 pm
Just a plug for a great resource on 45-70 bullets. X-tereme bullets sells them at a great bulk price. I've ordered 45-70 bullets from them twice along with other calibers and they work great.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:26 pm
and now you're hooked bro .... tons of shooting for pennies on the dollar

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:40 am
Rich 2.0 wrote:
and now you're hooked bro .... tons of shooting for pennies on the dollar

Yes but it sweet sorrow to watch friends now paying $20 for a box of 9mm when I'm pumping out 500 rounds for $80 - $90. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next