Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Experimenting with making a quick & dirty bullet mold
Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 pm
Success. Sort of.

The product I used was Activa Permastone. Here's how I did it, and I'll post pics of the results in a little while:

Take a small square-ish bowl about 2" x 2" x 2" and fill it almost halfway up with the wet permastone. It sets quickly and is hard in about 20 minutes.... But you don't want to wait that long.

When it sets enough that it won't let your bullet sink to the bottom, you put your bullet flat bottom side into the wall of the bowl, and push down. It doesn't matter if it's exactly halfway down, but it does matter to make sure the nose of the bullet IS. Also, it's easier to get the bullet out if you try and get it as close to halfway as possible.

It's important when you work on the bottom half, to not move or remove the bullet ;)

(In my next trial, I will be adding a bar of some sort across the lower middle, something about the size of a sucker stick. This will help both pieces of the mold to meet up properly when you put them together.)

OK, what I did next was wait a few hours, and then started baking the bottom half of the mold in my toaster oven until I was satisfied it was fairly dry. Then I used some wetted down tacky glue to shellack over the surface of the mold and the bullet. Let that dry. Mixed up another batch of permastone and poured it in to make the other half of the mold.

This comes out of the 2x2 bowl wonderfully, and in 2 perfect halves. Repeated the drying process on the top half.

The problems I have encountered- as far as the casting process goes, none! But... The mold shrinks a little. After I ran a couple bullets through a resizer, I knew that I'd have to bore the new mold just a hair. It's almost negligible, but I like to feel a little more resistance in the resizing die than what I was feeling.

The second problem might not have a solution. I can't think of a way to fashion a sprue plate. I believe it would break the mold.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post subject: Re: Experimenting with making a quick & dirty bullet mold
Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

I assure you I don't intend to try and load these bullets !!! I'm just curious. This one, I wanted to see if I could turn a .358swc into something like a .35 winchester. This bullet was modeled off one of my swc's, and the nose was fashioned with a bit of clay when I cast the mold. But now I see that there are some possibilities here... and maybe this belongs in the SHTF forum LoL

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:47 am
Well i do give kudo's for the effort .
One thing you can do that will help give you a more useable bullet.
Next time turn the bullet around so the base is at the bottem and make it a nose pour.
It is more important to have a good square base on the bullet .
Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:52 pm
Fantastic idea with the nose pour- the beauty is in the simplicity :mrgreen: I'd a never thunk it.

Btw on my first effort I cast 15 with no failures. I'm anticipating a failure will be catastrophic, but this stuff is supposed to be very tough. As for degradation I have no idea (yet).

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm
whats the tin / lead mixture your using?
do you know of any jacketing techniques?

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 pm
I do enjoy seeing someone willing to experiment a bit .
It will be interesting to see how many casts the materi al will. Withstand.

I wouldnt be scared to try. Shooting a few of them either as long as they will chamber they will shoot
You might be suprised at how well even an ugly bullet will shoot at shorter ranges so long as its not undersized for your groove dia
Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 am
calemus wrote:
whats the tin / lead mixture your using?
do you know of any jacketing techniques?

I'm using straight wheel weights so the mixture is gonna be + - ? And I'll probably never jacket anything. Castboolits is the best place for information.

When I get the gumption to shoot one of these suckers, I'll be making a mold for my h&r .357 It'll be a fun project for the winter. Might have to delve into the world of gas checks possibly.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]