Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Markarov casings and minimum overall length
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 am
I have received some prefired brass for loading 9mm. While checking the cases, I found several of them to be 9mmM/9mm Markarov along with some that are 9X21. In checking my books, it does not appear these are safe for loading standard 9X19 handloads. Can you verify that for me? Also, is there a minimum overall length for standard 9mm and if so, what would that be?
Post subject: Re: Markarov casings and minimum overall length
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:57 am
Spurs315:

Welcome aboard!

Can't help you on the brass, except to be hesitant about the 9x21. The same ball and powder might work, but the longer case ought to be a problem.

Just a guess, but the way the 9mm's headspace on the case mouth the extra 3mm might muck up the ritual. I wouldn't....

Hopefully, somebody who really knows will be along shortly. Meantime, there's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at. It's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing, but who knows? :D

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:45 am
Briefly put, if you're loading for a 9mm parabellum gun (9x19) use only brass of that chambering and nothing else. For all I know the 9x21 would work if you trimmed it down 2mm but the case dimensions between that and 9x19 may differ a small but crucial amount in some other way. The 9x18 Makarov brass, as well as being shorter, is meant to be loaded with bullets of a larger diameter (about .364) than the parabellum.

Separate the brass and find somebody who loads those other calibers to swap it off to.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:54 am
You'll want to separate out those 9mm Makarov and 9x21 cases (as well as the odd 9mm Kurz /9mm Short / 380 Auto that sometimes find their way into a batch of 9x19 cases). As SMMAssociates said, the 9x19 case headspaces on the case mouth so the differing lengths would mess up the works even if the other dimensions were OK. I generally set them aside until I have enough to offer up for trade for something I need.

As to the OAL, the minimum OAL depends on the bullet weight and profile. The loading manual you use should give you OAL for each of the loads - but that is just what they tested with, not some magical length. As you reduce the OAL, the pressures increase so as a general rule I don't reduce OAL from what is published with the load unless there is something that forces it (magazine or chamber dimensions for example). And then I tend to reduce the powder charge and watch carefully for high pressure signs.

Here are a couple of articles you might find helpful - even though they talk mostly about the 38 Super, the same things apply to any cartridge (just not any specific lengths or the like of course).

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Bullet%20D ... ility.html

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Overall%20Length.html

Finally, if you haven't already done so, invest in a couple of good reloading manuals. I like to have the manual for the bullet manufacturer I use, and a couple of others like the Lee and Lyman manuals. Read them through, thoroughly, and then follow the recipes carefully.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]