Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 pm
I've come across many forums over the past few years about squibs, I've only experienced one in a .22 using brand new fresh from the box Federal and that was after about 100 rounds during the day. I've been around a few dozen squibs in the past 20 years and the majority are as a result of reloads, but there has also been a few factory ammo. I realize that you can't be 100% sure with factory, eventually it will come up.

But it seems to be true that you get what you pay for. Bulk ammo I really do not trust, particularly when it comes to replacing a barrel, but for safety concerns I will try to stick with a relatively reasonable price range like Remington or Winchester.

Are there any statistics out there that give a ratio of misfires/squibs pertaining to factory ammo (Winchester, Remington, Federal, CCI, Speer etc...) ?
Post subject: Re: Factory Ammo vs Squibs
Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:13 am
Jack:

I've had a few squibs with my own reloads (.40S&W and .45ACP), and more than a few failures to fire with .22's (Remington, mostly).

If you subscribe to the notion that .22's aren't for SD, the hazard there is mucking up a competition somehow. You shouldn't (OK, IMHO) carry your own reloads in the field for SD use anyway.

Note that there's a difference between a squib load that leaves the projectile in the barrel (or, if you're lucky, on the floor in front of you), and a round that simply doesn't ignite. The latter won't necessarily muck up the weapon, too, in many cases. I've had failures in a .45 or .40 that at least temporarily deactivated the weapon.

I had a buddy who was shooting in a competition (.38Spl) using somebody's reloads. He lined up a good one, dropped the hammer, and the bullet sort of scooted out the barrel and landed on the floor. Needless to say, he didn't get his reloads from that guy anymore :D....

I was buying reloads from a buddy who had a progressive machine at that time. He paid his daughter (I think she was about 15 at the time) to make 'em. She's got to be close to sixty now.... (Just started reloading in 2012. Some friends and I bought the whole load in about 1970, but when somebody's mom or wife - can't remember which - didn't want gunpowder in the basement, the whole thing melted down. I finally took the plunge right before the 2012 meltdown.)

That said, I've never seen a table.... I think if you tried to publish one, some Ninjas would come by to adjust your attitude. The manufacturers really don't want their products to fail in the field - especially in their SD lines.... Cheapie .22's may be an exception....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:27 pm
Who actually foots the bill for new barrels when a squib occurs with, lets say, something like an automatic when there is no chance of a pause? I wonder if there have been many suits against major manufacturers. Gunsmiths aren't cheap nor are quality parts.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:50 pm
Hello. I would suggest spending several years shooting .22 matches, you'll see some complete duds across almost all brands, as well as a few squibs.

As to the lawsuits, one has to be able to prove whether the fault was with the gun or the ammunition, otherwise there's not going to be any sort of capitulation from the companies.

That said, if let's say a handgun barrel gets ruined, and the owner can confirm the ammunition was not "homemade", the gun maker will sometimes replace the parts without charge. They and the ammo maker are going to want specifics, though.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 pm
^ I've only read a few cases over the last ~4 years that I've been in the community.

In all cases of factory ammo failure, the ammo manufacturer made good either on repairs or with a replacement firearm.

-Allen
Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm
I have never ever seen a "squib" in 22 lr, I have seen total misfires, very common.

One Instructor active on another forum had TWO squibs that lodged bullets in barrels with two different brands of so called Winchester White Box in the SAME CCW class, one bulged the barrel in a nice revolver, the other one the student had been paying attention in class and caught it without firing another round into the blocked barrel.

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:11 pm
Can't prove it but I once had what had to be an over charge or even double charge with a .22 long rifle cartridge. It didn't damage the Ruger Mark II handgun that fired it but the case head ruptured, the sound was way too loud, recoil was excessive, etc.

Winchester sent me a coupon for a free box of fifty rounds to replace the defective one, but they insisted on me giving them the lot number, and even sending in the empty box that the boomer round came out of. Pulled the bullets out of the ones from that box I hadn't yet fired, used the powder to help start a campfire I built a few weeks later.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:45 am
Brian D. wrote:
Can't prove it but I once had what had to be an over charge or even double charge with a .22 long rifle cartridge. It didn't damage the Ruger Mark II handgun that fired it but the case head ruptured, the sound was way too loud, recoil was excessive, etc.

Winchester sent me a coupon for a free box of fifty rounds to replace the defective one, but they insisted on me giving them the lot number, and even sending in the empty box that the boomer round came out of. Pulled the bullets out of the ones from that box I hadn't yet fired, used the powder to help start a campfire I built a few weeks later.

Yes I do recall seeing a few recalls for overpressure 22lr ammo now that you mention it :-).

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]