Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Post subject: Re: What kind of light do you carry?
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:06 pm
SpicyMcHaggis wrote:
Olight M20S-X Warrior. The new Cree XML LED. 500 lumen death ray in a 5.5" package. Also carry an Olight i1 on a key chain, that lil sucker runs 180 lumens in a tiny package.

I just looked up your 500 lumen flame thower. Wow! $94.95 on Amazon.com right now. That is a TON of light for the money. How do you like it? Is the quality as good as what they claim on the company website? Do you own any Surefire lights? How does the quality of the Olight compair to the Surefire?

"One man with courage is a majority." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. ~ Luke 22:36
Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm
I picked up 3 packs of these today... BRIGHT

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ce-tech-led-tactical-style-flashlights-2-pack-320810.html
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm
Current EDC is a SureFire Z2S-LED with X-Concealment clip. Nice fit with my usual attire (jeans and a T), but it's a bit bulky for dressier occasions, when I'll default back to my old E2D (which has been riding in my pocket since it came out, I really love the thing).

I'm looking at getting a Surefire LX2.

-Allen
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:16 pm
JETBeam RRT-2 Raptor Cree XML T
http://hkequipment.net/index.php?p=6&id ... sg=Session Expiried!&s=
Very bright little light, not sure if it will fit comfortably in a pocket but on the belt is no problem.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:13 pm
Ultra fire. It takes a 1 rechargeable battery and has a self defense spike thing around the light. I carry it in a case I found at a surplus store that looks low profile. It is bright enough to blind an assailant and also has a flashing mode for signaling. The holster was like $2 and I got it because it does not make me look like a mall ninja. The light was like $10-$15 I think
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:20 pm
Streamlight Protac 2L in a belt holster. www.botachtactical.com.

Colin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm
Fenix PD32, sits beside my Leatherman at 8 o'clock (weak side) and is about the same size. (For those considering this light or another Fenix, I replaced the nylon belt pouch it came with because it rode too low on my belt & kept getting caught on stuff when I sat down, and was so thin that the scalloped edge around the bezel sarted wearing through the nylon. Replacement pouch is much heavier and rides better. Made by Jetbeam.)

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:37 pm
TSiWRX wrote:
Current EDC is a SureFire Z2S-LED with X-Concealment clip. Nice fit with my usual attire (jeans and a T), but it's a bit bulky for dressier occasions, when I'll default back to my old E2D (which has been riding in my pocket since it came out, I really love the thing).

I'm looking at getting a Surefire LX2.

I have indeed updated to a Surefire LX2. :oops: It actually didn't take me long before I made the transition - records show that I purchased the LX2 in February of 2012, barely a month after the post above. :lol: Yes, I'm a flashaholic.

It's become my primary carry. The dual output really works out well for me - my daily work tasks has me using the light on low power virtually every workday.

Weekends, I switch to my E2D, which was updated about exactly a year ago (this thread is just too weird! :surp: ) with a Malkoff M60 drop-in and VME head.

I recently updated my main keychain light to a Surefire Titan T1A. My old Arc AAA Premium is still there, albeit now slaved to the side of the keychain Q/D that's got my wife's car keys attached. The Titan is a big bulky and heavy, but it works well for me as a daily, as I simply tuck it into my jeans back pocket to anchor my keys. Unless I'm wearing a jacket, though, it gets bulky when I'm dressy. :(

My dog-walking light is an el-cheapo Cree XM-L T6 3-Mode drop-in off the slowboat from DealExtreme, housed in an old Surefire G2 body with a P2 bezel.

-Allen
Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:16 pm
i have a drawer of pocket flashlights
i have a few standards to measure by

1) it has to use AAA batteries. Rechargeables keep the overhead down, and you will never be unable to find batteries to buy in unexpected events

2) brightness if the tool is not more than 200 lumins it is not worth having

3) construction if the item can not take a 20 foot drop to cement and act brand new (while underwater) it's not worth
having

4) the smaller the better smaller tools are easier to handle, and carry

currently i am carrying a bic lighter, and a " http://www.coastportland.com/px45-led-flashlight.htm "

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 am
Don't get me wrong - I agree with your points. :)

But I also wanted to bring out these counterpoints :arrow:

calemus wrote:
i
1) it has to use AAA batteries. Rechargeables keep the overhead down, and you will never be unable to find batteries to buy in unexpected events

AAAs and AAs are great, but longer-term storage can be a concern unless one invests in lithium cells.

Rechargeables do keep the overhead down, but in case of unexpected events, one must have the ability to recharge: but the need for thoroughput should also be kept in mind.

Quote:
2) brightness if the tool is not more than 200 lumins it is not worth having

Watch out for advertising.

Grab a Surefire light rated at "120 lumens," and compare it with a no-brand light (using the same power source) brought off Amazon (i.e. http://www.amazon.com/FordEx-Group-300l ... nkc6475-20) that may claim well over twice that, and it's plain to see that the latter is nowhere near its advertised lumen output.

In the current market, everyone and their cousins realize that "bright" sells. Since there is really no standard convention as to how this factor is assessed, it leaves a lot to interpretation.

The better makes will have a more honest rating - if going off-brand, try to search up beam-shots or other's written recommendations to get a more real-world picture of what to expect.

One more thing to remember is that it's not all about how bright the light is: how the output is managed is critical to real-world use. I've got an old Surefire C3 that houses a Malkoff M91A - but when I walk my dog, I actually prefer the beam pattern from my XM-L T6 dropin instead, as it has a bit more reach paired with considerably less spill: that's better for lighting up the sidewalk and keeping the light out of people's living rooms. :lol:

Quote:
4) the smaller the better smaller tools are easier to handle, and carry

This is highly dependent on usage.

My keychain light? Smaller and lighter is definitely better.

My clipped-to-pocket EDC? Lighter is better, but I don't want it any smaller than about 5 inches, as it is also useful as a striking/control tool. I also prefer the bezel and body to be as slim as reasonably possible (the former also with respect to beam pattern and throw).

A dedicated handheld light to shoot with? I wouldn't mind heft, but I have very specific requirements regarding switchgear (forward clickie, tail-mounted) as well as physical size/configuration (preferably a 3/4-inch body diameter, but a 1" diameter with a solid control ring is acceptable; lanyard is absolutely necessary, but I don't necessarily use it all the time).

Again, not really disagreeing with your points - just putting some reasonable counters out there, that's all. :)

-Allen
Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:16 pm
as for the "unexpected events" i have in mind mostly a time of being without the ability to obtain charged cells
in this event it is likely that the nearest store would have AAA's, but not have surefire, or 123 size batteries
i also carry a AA / AAA vehicle charger in my vehicle, as well as 3 other emergency led lights. preparedness is using wisdom

i do agree with the management of the beam
being able to focus, and use a reduced intensity are also very important to me
a full 250 lumen from a focused beam less than 4 foot focused on a work piece will make it imposable to see the piece in a dark environment, it literally blinds you,,a white-out
adjust to flood, and click to the 50 lumen setting and your golden

as for tools
i also carry a tiny leatherman plier that thing is a lifesaver,
taking that thought to weapon type tool application i would have to say i can use my empty hands better than most men could comprehend that ALMOST eliminates the light as a tool options, but thats a different topic for a different place that goes away from flashlights

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm
Ya Chinese knock off brands usually lie about their output but, take their figure and drop it 25% and that's usually a safe assumption about their real output.

The biggest con from the cheaper lights is they usually aren't regulated.. which means as voltage drops so does light output. So 123 primaries will be dim on most lights because they run 3volts, rechargeable run higher.

A lot of the lights setup for 18650 cells can usually take 123 x2 and will knock the voltage down so 2x primaries work fine in those.

The Ultrafire 502 that DX sells is nice great size takes 18650's but can also take 123's

In an emergency you could recharge a few ways.. small solar pannel, I believe HF sales a 13w panel for like 50 bucks
That would be plenty to run a battery charger.

Other options would be crank generator, portable generator, or your car.

I recommend getting a hobby charger which can handle a number of different battery types and configurations and will do it properly some of the cheaper battery chargers are kinda "dumb"

I use a Turnigy Accucel 6
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=7028

It's a great little charger i've even charged lead acid car batteries with it before albeit kinda slow.
It can handle a decent range of input voltages.

Bad thing is it does not come with a power supply.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:44 pm
^ Good stuff, right there. :) Thanks for taking the time.

------

calemus wrote:
as for the "unexpected events" i have in mind mostly a time of being without the ability to obtain charged cells
in this event it is likely that the nearest store would have AAA's, but not have surefire, or 123 size batteries

^ Ah, I see what you mean, now. :) I was reading the "unexpected events" as it relates only to rechargeables, as they were mentioned in the same sentence.

Quote:
i also carry a AA / AAA vehicle charger in my vehicle, as well as 3 other emergency led lights. preparedness is using wisdom

Same here. Solar charging is among the backups I carry in the vehicle, but throughput is a problem..... A mechanically powered light is always nice, too, but they're really not all that bright. :( I still carry a couple of flares for longer trips.

Quote:
i do agree with the management of the beam
being able to focus, and use a reduced intensity are also very important to me
a full 250 lumen from a focused beam less than 4 foot focused on a work piece will make it imposable to see the piece in a dark environment, it literally blinds you,,a white-out
adjust to flood, and click to the 50 lumen setting and your golden

I do wish that more lights allowed the ability to adjust the beam pattern.

It's definitely why I like the Titan so much as a keychain utility, despite its bulk and weight.

Walking the dog really has allowed me the most chance to play with my lights in a long while. :oops: And just like you said, I experienced that temporary light-blindness when I first played around with my then-new Surefire P2ZX Fury. It's a much more powerful light to shoot with than my previous favorite - a Surefire Z2S LED - but using it to illuminate the patch of grass my dog just defecated on so that I can bag the waste was followed by nearly a full 20 seconds' worth of night blindness. :lol: The CREE XM-L T6 drop-in from DealExtreme may be el-cheapo, but it offers a really nice high-low feature that allows me to scan the sidewalk for skunks, from afar - and yet be able to tone it down for the smelly close-up work. 8)

-Allen
Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:11 pm
allen sounds like a well seasoned professional "cleaner" ;)

and i bet that dog is well worth it.
i'd give the skin off my back to be able to have my dog back :(

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 pm
:lol: The way this puppy poops, I have become a well seasoned poop-picking-up-professional, and it's only been 3 months! :lol:

Indeed, he's worth it. I gave up a 3-day class that I'd registered and paid for (Costa's HE02, which I'd been locked into since last October!!!) so that I could be with him during the first few weeks that he came into our household. The way he's bonded with me - and with my wife and daughter - I don't regret that decision for even a second. :) And to tell the truth, even if I hadn't sold that seat to a fellow NE-Ohio shooter, I'd still have given it up....that was a critical time in his (our) life, and I'm glad I got to spend all of it with him.

Indeed, I looked at it as investing in what hopefully will be some 15-years' worth of friendship.

And yes, I'd give the skin off my back to be able to get my first dog (Sababa is now only my second) back, too. :(

-Allen
 Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4