Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post subject: What kind of light do you carry?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 am
A few years back I got tired of looking for a flashlight when I was looking for something. It was then I decided I needed a small flashlight of good quality that I could carry in my pants pocket. I had done some looking around and finally decided on a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman. Small, compact, light weight, belt clip, that I never use, and runs on one 3 volt 123 battery. These little lites are fairly expensive (75$) but do have a lifetime warranty. I had to replace the pushbutton tail cap once because I didn't know how to change the battery...battery inserts and removes from the light end and not the tail cap! :roll: Called Surefire and they sent another cap...no problems. This little light is LED, bright enough to blind a potential attacker and should the case arise, also used as a fist pack. When one really thinks about, how often do you need just a little shot of light to find what you're looking for? For me, it's pretty often.

BFA Leader
NRA-EVC Ohio 6th
NRA Benefactor member
Southern Ohio
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
Region Leader
Post subject: Re: What kind of light do you carry?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 am
I've got a few different ones, all use the 3 volt lithium batteries. I thought Sure Fires were the be all-end all of their kind until the first time I dropped one about three feet and broke the ($18!) bulb. The choice of high speed low drag tactical operators, my eye! :mrgreen: (Admittedly their lights atre better these days.)

Can't seem to find room for the flashlight on my belt so it ends up in a weak-side pocket most often. Wouldn't make much sense to carry it on the strong (gun) side of the belt, and the off side is already kinda crowded with spare mag(s) and the TDI sheath knife.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am
A vender at a gun show recommended an iTP C10T Tactical flashlight when I mentioned a target price of about $50. At 230 Lumens this light is very bright. (The link below will get you the specs and an image.) The center of the beam is a crisp circle for blinding penetration while an outer, slightly dimmer ring, allows for a good field-of-vision.

http://www.itplight.com/product_show.asp?id=170

One night the family cat got out. My son grabbed his full-size rechargeable Streamlight when I grabbed my iTP. While we were searching outside he goes, "Man, that little thing's as bright as mine!"

I also keep an iTP E50 flashlight on the nightstand (link below). It works the same as the C10T but has a larger, tactical impact type head. Not only gives you an impact weapon but makes it less likely to fall over on the nightstand. :wink:

http://www.itplight.com/product_show.asp?id=171

I paid $30 online for the E50 at Shiningbeam.com and found the C10T there as well for the same price. :shock: I console myself with the fact that the gunshow vender included the batteries while Shiningbeam does not. :roll: And no, I am not affiliated with iTP or Shiningbeam...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm
At work I carry a mini mag led its actually very bright and multi function. The light has four modes bright, dim, strobe, and SOS.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 pm
Quark AA2 turbo S2. Rocks out 206 lumens and with AA bats it is easy on my wallet. My FENIX P3D is now in my wifes purse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
OFCC Patron
BFA supporter
Life Member NRA
Psalms 35
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:28 am
Got a tip from someone and bought the Gander Mountain brand....220 lumen, good throw, small and light....at only $35, it's an outstanding deal.

To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm
I've got many older mini mags that use (2) AA's (Many of them were free) I've converted most of them to LED's using a nightlize conversion kit. It comes with a (3) led fixture & push button cap. It's about $7-8. These are all over the house.

I've also bought some 9-LED, 21-LED Flashlights from a canadian woodworking catalog for the cars & bedroom. I go for the ones the use AA or AAA because there easier to find & buy batteries for...

One of the 21-LED'ers goes with my CCW. No brand names, no high dollar stuff.

Kimber's in .45 ACP, Browning H.P. 9mm, Glock 17, S&W 586, Ruger LCR, Browning Buckmark.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm
I think I have a plastic one in my kitchen drawer. :?

I should get a nice little flashlight one of these days.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm
NRAInstructor wrote:
I think I have a plastic one in my kitchen drawer. :?

I should get a nice little flashlight one of these days.

I have a nice LED Mag Lite around here somewhere....the kids think it's a toy or something, so I can never find it when I need it. I installed a handy little app on my Blackberry Torch that allows me to use the LED flash for the camera as a flashlight :mrgreen: It's not the greatest...but it works in a pinch when I really need it!

Ken

USAF Vet
American Legion
Glock 36/Ruger SR9C
Para 1911 GI Expert
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 pm
Ohio Bue Tip or bic, and they light my cig also......................Sorry

Don't really carry a light at this time. Have a nice little compact one next to the bed, but would like a nice little one that uses AA, as stated easier to find the batteries. Gets to the point you really need suspenders, gun in the holster RH or SOB, mag on left side or back. Folding knife RH and usually seventy five cents or so in pocket. Keys on a carabiner. I look like a hip hop king always hilding my pants up. As big as I am, no hips or butt, it's always......Pants on the ground............... :lol: :lol: :shock:

Jr.....Out

WWJMBD
USN Veteran
COTEP CBOB0406
The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm
Just bought my first LED after years of mini-mags.

Streamlight PT 2AA.

So far really like it. Only real complaint is a rattle from the AA's fitting a little loosely. Other than that it's low setting is as bright as my mini-mags, and its high setting...holy!.

Let's know what we're talking about here, ideas have consequences.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:49 pm
jrohio wrote:
Ohio Blue Tip or bic, and they light my cig also......................

correct answer ............ no real man carries a flashlight but a object of creating mass destruction via flammability capability is the only thing a real man would carry as it can be done in such a way that satellite imaging would have no problem what so ever deciding where you are.......

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:58 pm
4sevens Preon 2 or Quark AA.

Victory is mine!
Armchair Elitist and Master of All That is Tacticool.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 am
i picked up a coast tac-light from home depot a while back, ...liked it so much (and price didn't break the bank), went back and got another to keep in the vehicle..

LED, uses just AAA batteries, has momentary and on/off rear switch, ...they also make a model that will acept an external pressure-actuated switch you can mount on a long gun foreend/etc..

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 pm
Rich 2.0 wrote:
jrohio wrote:
Ohio Blue Tip or bic, and they light my cig also......................

correct answer ............ no real man carries a flashlight but a object of creating mass destruction via flammability capability is the only thing a real man would carry as it can be done in such a way that satellite imaging would have no problem what so ever deciding where you are.......

Only one word to fill the bill Rich........."ZIPPO!!"

BFA Leader
NRA-EVC Ohio 6th
NRA Benefactor member
Southern Ohio
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
Region Leader
 Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next