Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author
Post subject: Re: knife laws:clarification
Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 am
Look out! This old thread is ALIVE again!

Folks from OFCC and BFA who spend time at the statehouse with legislators report that getting out licenses changed from "Concealed handgun" to "Concealed deadly weapons" or the like is an ongoing discussion. Also, the subject of doing a pre-emption of all those local knife ordinances comes up in conversation as well.

Wouldn't hurt to add a couple more voices to this chorus, guys. Contact your state reps and let them know where you (we) stand on this, I certainly have done so a few times.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 am
bluedog46 wrote:
Does the ohio permit to carry a gun also cover other weapons? There are some states where it does.

Unfortunately, Ohio is not one of those states.

Knife laws in Ohio vary by local municipality. You can literally walk across a street and have a problem because you have a 3" blade versus a 2.5" blade.
1stMarDiv wrote:
Good question, has Ohio ever put forth an effort to move from the hand gun specification to concealed weapon permit. I mean seriously, you can carry a gun but not a knife. I've been stabbed never shot but I would much prefer to be stabbed again if given the option. I don't get it. I think you can have switch blades as part of a collection, just can't carry it, however if you have one arm you might be able to talk your way out of it.

There's also a lot of subjectivity in how the law is interpreted.

1stMarDiv wrote:
I don't get it. I think you can have switch blades as part of a collection, just can't carry it, however if you have one arm you might be able to talk your way out of it.

^ Yes, and yes. And no, I don't get it, either.

The knife is a devastating close-range weapon, but to allow a law-abiding citizen to legally carry a concealed firearm yet make a defensive folder or emergency cutting tool (REF: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat ... 52328646/1) such a risky proposition (REF: Michael Porschien - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15488 and http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... knife+laws)...it just doesn't make sense.

And here's a few more recent threads both here as well as on OFCC that you may be interested in, bluedog46 -

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17252&hilit=knife
http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... ool+weapon

and

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... ool+weapon

-Allen
Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:35 pm
Yes I think there needs to be more awareness of knives and other weapons.
The 2nd amendment is all arms not just guns.

Ohio like most state has very muddy laws when it comes to knives.. Thats why I try to stick to 2.5inch blades.. It doesn't mean you wont have ANY problems but it's usually blades above this length that can cause problems in a lot of jurisdictions.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:51 pm
Isn't it really dependent on whether or not the knife is carried as a weapon or a tool that goes to the overall intent of the law. If I have a 5 inch folder in a sheath on my belt along with my gun. One could argue and justifiably so that the weapon aspect of the knife is muted by the singular purpose of the gun as a weapon. And since the knife is a multi purpose tool, its use as a weapon is nullified by the existence of the gun. I can't imagine a reasonable jury could even fathom the idea that someone with a CHL would be using a knife as a weapon to defend his/her life when the use of deadly force is the ultimate goal if either is warranted. The only logical conclusion is the the knife is merely a tool because the weapon issue is certainly answered by the gun. Its a no brainer for me

If the state wants to charge me, and spend thousands of dollars, I think this is one fight I'd be willing to make and all we need is a precedent. I'm laid off right now, I have all the time in the world :egrin:

Makes for a great screw driver or Axe

Image[/URL]

Fascism is not defined by the number of its victims, but by the way it kills them. J.P. Sartre

It is not my duty to die for my country, but to help others die for theirs. Gen Patton
Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm
It's been a while since I last looked but it seems a lot of the time these cases get decided arbitrarily in court.

although there is no hard and fast rules it seems some characteristics are more likely to be viewed as a weapon rather a tool.
EX: sharp tip, serrations, locking blade, 1 handed opening, fixed blade, double edge.

Of course most knives do lock open, many blades have serrations these days (it's actually hard to find anything other then buck knives without them these days), 1 handed opening is kinda hard to define since most knives can be opened with 1 hand although some are easier then others.
Most knives do have sharp tips.

I think short of daggers, large bowie knives or redneck folders most officers probably aren't going to hassle you in the first place unless they think you're no good and can find nothing else to get you on, Then you gotta deal with it in court.

There just isn't any clarity in the state and the fact that many weapons/knives are banned is BS.
After reading about the history of demonization of butterfly, switch blades, brass knuckles it seems that the laws that swept the country banning those knives was spurred by 50-60's movies depicting as weapons of choice for rebel youth gangs.. which apparently was never a substantial problem in reality.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
 Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2