Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:45 pm
Anybody else following this?

Quote:
Former TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; suggests axes and machetes, too

By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
updated 10:39 AM EST, Thu March 7, 2013
Washington (CNN) -- The former head of transportation security said Wednesday he supports a new policy allowing small knives on planes, but said it does not go far enough, and should include instruments such as "battle axes (and) machetes."

Sharp objects can no longer bring down aircraft, former Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley told CNN, and the search for knives interferes with the search for objects that can harm aircraft.

"In retrospect, I should have done the same thing," Hawley said of the rule, which allows passengers to board aircraft with certain small knives, as well as sports equipment such as ice hockey and lacrosse sticks.

"They ought to let everything on that is sharp and pointy. Battle axes, machetes ... bring anything you want that is pointy and sharp because while you may be able to commit an act of violence, you will not be able to take over the plane. It is as simple as that," he said.

"So my position would be, bravo on the 2.6 inch knife. But why not take it all the way and then really clean up the checkpoint where officers are focusing on bombs and toxins, which are things that can destroy an airplane. And it would smooth the process, cost less money, and be better security."

read the rest:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-hawley/index.html

and of course the inevitable "security theater" backlash:

Quote:
Backlash grows against new policy on knives on planes

http://news.msn.com/us/backlash-grows-against-new-policy-on-knives-on-planes

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post subject: Re: TSA new Knife policy
Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:31 am
Just dropped my wife off at CAK. I'm more worried about pilot error or mechanical failure than a small knife or a terrorist attack for that matter. The TSA is worthless.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]