Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:15 pm
I've bought seven or so knifes this past year or so and my question is this....of those here that are into knifes, what type of stones and grit do you use/prefer and what companies do you prefer buying from? All of them are stainless except two. I also bought, what I would call a bowie ( 14'' blade ) with a damascus blade(sorry for the spelling ) that was used (the blade has some very small nicks in the cutting edge ) :( , otherwise the knife is beautiful. I'd like to sharpen this knife myself but DO NOT want to mess it up. I've been told to practice on "junk" knifes before I mess with this one. I know there's an actual Knife Forum but I thought I'd ask here first.

3FULLMAGS+1
They say the best "Home Remedy" for Tyranny is... LEAD POISONING!
Post subject: Re: Sharpening stone question?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 pm
...don't have much experience sharpening knives, ...but have done some sharpening of my woodworking tools (plane blades, chisels)... i like the diamond stones by DMT, ...you can get some that have a different grit on each side (i have a 300/600 grit)... i also use water stones (i have a 1000 grit and 8000 grit combination stone) for putting on the secondary bevel edge... i think DMT makes some pocket-sized diamond flip-open type diamond sharpeners that might be ideal for sharpening knives...

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:03 pm
I used to be a devoted natural stone user and learned how to sharpen blades on Washita and Arkansas stones - almost 4 decades ago. Since then, having encountered blades that were very difficult to sharpen on my natural stones I've started experimenting with diamond sharpeners - 6" and 8" bench sharpeners, not sharpening systems at the moment.

I am still learning the differences between diamond and natural, but I find that I am much more easily able to put a good working edge on a blade with diamond. However, I'm not able to put the very polished, razor-sharp edge on a blade even with the finest diamond sharpener I have been able to find. But honestly, since most of my blades are working knives I don't need that level of polish, though I'd like to get to the point, assuming it is possible.

I've not decided on a best brand yet, having just started my excursion into diamond sharpeners, so I will also be watching this thread with interest.

Oh, and heed the advice you received - practice on a blade you don't care about until you are able to sharpen it well before you work on any knife you value. Both because you don't want to damage a good blade, but also most cheaper knives are softer steel and are easier to fix mistakes - and quicker to show them, too.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 pm
I use the Lansky system

http://lansky.com/

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:18 pm
Google the term "Scary sharp"
With this technique and a flat surface (even a formica table top will suffice in a pinch) you can sharpen any cutting edge without investing in expensive, breakable, heavy, stones.

First off: Acquire a flat plate of some sort.
A visit to a window glass shop for a piece of THICK glass about 12" x 12" or so that can have the edges sanded and beveled to preclude cuts is one way to go.
Another way is to go to Lowes or Builder's Square and find a thick, glass smooth, 12 x 12, stone or ceramic tile.

Then buy wet and dry abrasive papers in fine, very fine, and extremely fine grits. I top out at 2000 grit. A few drops of water between the paper and your flat plate will keep the paper stable for use.

My 8" kitchen carving knife will fall through a tomato under it's own weight.
My EDC Gerber Paraframe only needs a rare touch up.

Also acquire a thick flat piece of aluminum to use as a strop. Aluminum oxide, which forms on the surface of all unprotected aluminum surfaces, is corundum which is extremely hard and an excellent polishing agent.
Stropping is the last thing to be done to a cutting edge to polish of the "wire edge' that is produced during the sharpening process. It is done on a hard, flat, surface by rubbing the knife edge BACKWARDS along the strop so as to not cause the knife to dig in and try to cut the strop. Using a soft surfaced strop can round over the knife edge.

I also carry a credit card sized diamond plate in my wallet for emergencies.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 am
I too use the Lansky system. I have the standard 3 stone kit. It's close to 25 years old and not a single problem. I still have about half the bottle of oil left too. I have sharpened buck knives to shaving edges and my stones are just now showing minute wear after all this time.

It's awesome and you can't go wrong with it. Absolutely worth every penny.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:42 am
I use the Chef'sChoice Diamond Hone MultiEdge #460 for sharpening all my knives whether kitchen, field, pocket, etc. I've had it for at leat 10 years & it still works like a champ! It is a pretty Idiot-proof sharpener, and gets the blades shaving sharp. Great deal for around $20 too. I also keep a DMT pocket sharpener in my pack or field gear for a quick touch-up in the field if necesary.

There are some great sharpening systems out there: Spyderco, lansky etc but the Chef's choice has been my "go to" because it is quick, easy to use and consistant on almost any type of steel.

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:53 pm
Thanks guys for all the opinions.......just want to ask this one question again,Has anyone ever sharpened a demascas type blade, again sorry for that spelling, as I've got this used knife.......new, it's got to be at least a $100 + knife. Just wondering if these type blades need any special care when sharpening. I picked up this knife at quite a bargain.....and if I ruin it, well......

Viking.......I thought you mentioned a specific forum devoted to knifes and I'm sure there is but Idon't remember it or maybe it was someone else........thanks again!

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Viking.......I thought you mentioned a specific forum devoted to knifes and I'm sure there is but Idon't remember it or maybe it was someone else........thanks again!

I sure did:

http://www.bladeforums.com

That would be a great place to ask that question or just google search it to see if someone else already did.

US NAVY VETERAN
Navy Qualified Tactical Action Officer
Navy Qualified Sharpshooter (Pistol, Rifle)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:25 pm
3FULLMAGS+1,
Sharpen your damascus blade like you would any other. Depending on the material used to create the damascus, you may want to be more concerned about rust.

Wash it thoroughly after you sharpen it then put a coat of vegetable oil on it. Shortening works too. You don't have to worry about poisoning yourself if you use the knife for slicing things you are going to eat with the food friendly oils. I am assuming you are going to use the knife due to the sharpening questions of course.

If you aren't an experienced knife sharpener, you may want to keep that Lansky system in mind because the guides force you into the proper angle and the learning curve is very small.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:56 pm
Thanks Viking.......thought you were the one who posted about the BladeForums in an old thread.......my memory isn't worth a crap :roll:

Dan....I had breakfast with Dinstar this morning and he said he's got a Lansky sharpening kit he'll lone me to see if I like it. Don't know if he's got natural or diamond stones ( I'd LIKE to try the diamond stones and yes the lansky's angle setup interests me as I'm new at this knife sharpening thing, though I know I'll pick up on keepin' the right angle as I've sharpened my chain saw chains by hand for years. And if I order the clamp, and just the stones I want, it isn't all that exspensive. Looking into it, a damascus blade isn't any different to sharpen than any other blade, AND if I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll post one of my Damascus knife,........ man...... it's a beauty, even with the nicks in the edge, which I'll fix sooner or later.

Thanks again guys for all the comments.

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am
3FULLMAGS+1,

If that blade is nicked up real bad you may want to regrind the edge. I have one of these:

It makes quick work of damaged edges. You may want to save that particular project for the next time you're in the Licking county area and I'll run it through the Tru Hone for you. From there, a few minutes in the Lansky and it's ready to shave.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:17 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQttzLrdtU

nuff said

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:40 pm
The guy who owns the Tru Hone is going to take it back this evening. I thought I would be sitting on it for much much longer but that is not the case. I may still have access to it in the future but it will no longer be in my hands.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 am
Dan.....thats alright, I handed it( the knife ) over to a friend of mine who has an uncle who I've talked to in person so I trust him, anyway he has an electric sharpener with, I think he said, diamond type wheels in it?. so I'll see how it goes.....has a extremely sharp edge as is, except for those freek'in nicks :x .

Again thanks fer the offer to sharpen my knife and maybe I'll see ya at the bash.

3FULLMAGS+1
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]