Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:42 pm
Does anyone carry or use SOG fixed blades?
or CRKT folders?

I like the SOG line as well as some of the Gerber's when
it comes to all purpose fixed blades. At least I can still
afford those.

So Mote It Be.
Aging is not for the timid
NRA Benefactor Member
Post subject: Re: SOG Knives
Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:46 pm
I carried a CRKT M16 for years and loved it until I lost it. I replaced it with a Gerber Evo which has a similar profile, but not the CRKT AutoLAWK system. I still have it and now use it as a knock around yard work knife. They both have combination blades (serrated and straight) which I think is a perfect EDC blade for all purpose cutting and slicing.

My current EDC is a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian with combination blade which I love.

The only fixed blades I have are ESEE and Blind Horse.

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 am
Know what you mean about the AutoLAWK system. I've been
carrying a CRKT Hissatsu for a couple of years now. Its
not much of utility knife, but it is one helluva
self defense weapon. Been just to lazy to apply for a CHL.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:30 pm
Old Timer wrote:

You know what they say about bringing a knife to a gunfight... :mrgreen:

I carry my knife for utility and would use it for self defense if it came to that, but it is not my first or second choice.

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:53 pm
ThawMyTongue wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

You know what they say about bringing a knife to a gunfight... :mrgreen:

Yeah I know, in fact Sean Connery used that line in the movie the untouchables.
Back in the 60's 70's and 80's I use to carry. But the laws have changed
since then, and so have the costs. So at my age and shape don't see a real
need to be armed again. The only time I have one with me is if I'm on a
buying trip or have my family on the open road.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:22 pm
Old Timer wrote:

Can you explain that a little more for me? In my case the desire to carry has increased with age, not lessened. In my fifties now and although life experience has heightened my situational awareness, the youthfulness leaving my body has brought me to the conclusion that I could not handle physical confrontation without some sort of "equalizer" like back in my twenties and thirties.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:36 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

Can you explain that a little more for me? In my case the desire to carry has increased with age, not lessened. In my fifties now and although life experience has heightened my situational awareness, the youthfulness leaving my body has brought me to the conclusion that I could not handle physical confrontation without some sort of "equalizer" like back in my twenties and thirties.

No problem. I'm in my Mid-70's seldom go anywhere that might require the
use of deadly force. Travel mostly daylight hours, no more bars, clubs, Big
time events, or places that offer a hot shot Y-generation type a chance.
Ergo no real need. I'll grant the fact one ever knows when the feces might
hit the fan. But the odds are I won't be there went it does. That plus the
fact I'm to slow to pull off a fast draw from an open carry. That and most
places frown upon a 12 Ga. riot gun draped over my shoulder.

Hope that answers your question.

BUT I have been known to go outside the house at night
when a would be prowler thought he had an easy target,
his eyeballs where a helluva lot bigger than the opening hole
on that old 1911 .45 ACP.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:36 pm
"Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" is a gross misrepresentation of such a scenario.

A lot depends on distance, and that ties in directly with situational awareness.

The canonical Tueller Drill is a perfect example of the dangers of underestimating the effectiveness of a contact weapon at closer distances, and when one realizes that the "Tueller Drill" assumes a defender who knows what is about to happen and is primed to respond and is pairing said individual with an aggressor who has been instructed to "stop when hit," it is all too optimistic of an outlook.

If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I would choose not to be in one. If I had no way not to be there, I'd bring a rifle. I'd wear some armor. I'd bring a few similarly armed friends. :lol: It's a crystal ball setup, ain't it. :wink: :) :lol:

"Bringing a knife to a gunfight" assumes that both participants know what's about to happen: that's not the way that most violent encounters occur in the real world. Don't underestimate the bodily-harm capabilities of even a 2-inch blade wielded by even an untrained or inebriated individual. Do not underestimate the potential for harm of *any* contact weapon, just because you are armed with a firearm does not guaranty your safety. It is not an amulet.

-----

Sorry for the thread derail! :oops: Just a topic that I feel very strongly about, that's all. :) After getting my face bashed in enough times in similar force-on-force scenarios, I've come to realize the dangers in being "tool driven" in terms of one's outlook on self-defense. Solve the problem, first - if that means beating feet or going hands-on until you can access the right tool for the job, then do so.

To get back to the OP:

Old Timer wrote:
Does anyone carry or use SOG fixed blades?
or CRKT folders?

I like the SOG line as well as some of the Gerber's when
it comes to all purpose fixed blades. At least I can still
afford those.

SOG's fixed blades aren't bad. Compared against their folders, I think that their fixed blades are actually worth the dollar amount asked for them, whereas their folders have always subjectively felt a little "cheap" to me. I've got a couple of SOG folders that I've picked up as impulse/circumstance buys or simply to fill-out a purchase, and despite the fact that they work well enough, they just feel lacking compared against price-similar competition.

Have you looked at the ESEE knives?

CRKT and Kershaw folders both continue to impress me at their price-points.

-Allen
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:56 pm
Situational awareness is easier said than done. Anybody that says they are aware of their surroundings at all times is blowing smoke. Multitasking, rub your tummy and pat your head while adding a column of numbers.

There are times that you don't have the choice in sitting at a round table in the middle of the restaurant with your back to the door. Just saying.

I'm 10 years younger than Old Timer and relate to going out at night. I do carry and I'm not happy and uncomfortable if a gun is not close at hand.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:04 pm
To echo TSiWRX's sentiments, Kershaw has some great offerings at very decent price points. I have had Leeks and Scallions which are great knives. Their ZT line is very robust. I don't think I ever will break my 0350. It locks up like a fixed blade and feels like you could pry out nails with it.

I also have a few Case pocket worn folders for my more refined times. Those are sharp and hold an edge. I just have to be careful of no lock on the blade. Although it is not really YOUR knife until it "kisses" you. :lol: I have more scars on my hands...

And back to the gunfight thing... A gunfight is any situation where I should have a gun. I don't care what the other guy has.

-Matt

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:27 pm
color of law wrote:
Situational awareness is easier said than done. Anybody that says they are aware of their surroundings at all times is blowing smoke. Multitasking, rub your tummy and pat your head while adding a column of numbers.
{
Quote:
True, very true, but you don't have to sit with your head in your plate either

There are times that you don't have the choice in sitting at a round table in the middle of the restaurant with your back to the door. Just saying.
Quote:
But you again keep your self aware of what's going on around you.
Quote:

I'm 10 years younger than Old Timer and relate to going out at night. I do carry and I'm not happy and uncomfortable if a gun is not close at hand.

That is how a reasonable and wise man thinks. Even if you are a generation
behind me.

But the one thing I have in my corner is growing up in the slums of Chicago, doing
things that I regret and am ashamed of, but taught me some valuable lessons on
survival.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 pm
Have you looked at the ESEE knives?
[/quote]

No I haven't, but I will. Thank you for another company
to look at and check out.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:26 am
^ No problem - glad to help. :) I've been out of the knife hobby for a while, now, so I'm no longer as familiar with the different brands/makes. :oops:

If you have the time/inclination to delve into the hobby, try attending some knife shows near where you live. The community is filled with great people, and at the shows, custom makers typically sell knives for a fraction of what they would otherwise cost on the open market. Similarly, many newer makers will attend such shows, and oftentimes, their goods can be had at very reasonable prices simply because the masses have not yet recognized their talent.

If you go so far as to join various knife-enthusiast Forums, know that while most online trading/selling/purchasing is done with "collector" items that are blem-free, there are also those who will do the same with true "user" knives: if your intent is to use the knives and appreciate them in that way, deals are to be had there, too.

ThawMyTongue wrote:
To echo TSiWRX's sentiments, Kershaw has some great offerings at very decent price points. I have had Leeks and Scallions which are great knives. Their ZT line is very robust. I don't think I ever will break my 0350. It locks up like a fixed blade and feels like you could pry out nails with it.

^ You know, I thought about separating out the ZT line from the rest, but failed to do so. :oops: Thank you for pointing that out! :D

They're also definitely very knives for the price, and depending on what you're looking for, Old Timer, you might be interested in checking them out, too.

-----

color of law wrote:

Oh, no, I definitely agree.

My mention of "situational awareness" should not be interpreted as somehow suggestive of it being a magical remedy, either.

First and foremost, just as you wrote, I personally think it is impossible to maintain an increased level of alertness for any extended period of time without risking premature mental/physical fatigue - which itself would be counterproductive.

In looking at my past posts throughout "gun-dom" - here, on OFCC, on XDTalk, DefensiveCarry.com and other such communities - I think it is clear to see that my outlook on "situational awareness" is nothing if not pragmatic, that in addition to the above realization, I've expressed similar sentiments as your when it came to cases such as that of the officers who died in CiCi's Pizza before the Wal-Mart shooting in Nevada or the innocents who have been injured in various iterations of "The Knockout Game" nationwide. Similarly, I've been among those who have directly questioned other's posts about being able to maintain distance from strangers while out in public - whether that was indeed realistic.

My soul-searching question has always been "will I see it coming."

What I wrote in the previous post regarding situational awareness and distance is just that - that there is a direct relationship between the two, and what's more, the statement also questions the logic that, had we already failed at the necessary situational awareness to keep the threat from closing distance, what is the likelihood that we are going to be able to reactively execute a draw, from concealment, and effect hits-on-target, in time for a physical assault that may well come from bad-breath distances (when we already know from the Tueller Drill that even at 21 feet, we're optimistic if we think we can actually escape without harm).

The question I ask is whether if that expectation was realistic - or if by being "gun-centric" in our thoughts about self-defense that we are assigning way too much value to the gun.

-Allen
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:43 am
TSiWRX Don't know, you but you sound as if you've have LEO experience,
and I must agree with you on a great many of your points. Hate to say this
but it's another reason I've gone back to marshal arts. I've got a low belt
ranking and have gone back to learning how to use Tonfa's (pr-24's) and a
few other toys. BTW not very good with them as yet, but I'm learning.

So Mote It Be.
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:56 am
^ Nope, no LE experience, no military experience. I'm a nerdy biological scientist. :geek: Just trying to learn - like all the rest of us here - that's all. :)

I was literally another person (less than half my age now :lol: , and ~80 lbs or so lighter :oops: ) when I achieved black belt in one martial art, and I only re-started 4 years ago, but even then, it was sadly only sporadic. My family and I recently spent about 6 months with family TKD, and along with that, I also started Krav at the same gym. My daughter decided to quit TKD to further pursue her true love - piano - so we stopped going. I kept on only a few more weeks with Krav as I needed extensive oral reconstructive surgery to address a pair of injuries I received as a kid (at 9, I pretended to be a Thundercat and failed :lol: , at 16, I raced two female friends on my bike and performed an endo :lol: ), and as a result I've been off contact sports since last September. :cry:

After the reconstruction is done and I have a custom mouth-piece fitted, I'd like to either continue with Krav or, more likely, pursue an integrated combatives gym locally.

Those few force-on-force seminars I participated in taught me that, as you suggested above, it's more about solving the problem than anything else - and sometimes, that the best solution may not be to immediately try to access a tool, but rather, to either go hands-on or to simply beat feet the other way!

-Allen
 Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next