Forum rules

Please have a look at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 before diving too deeply into the board.

Enjoy!
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: New OH License & Certification (Hold MD license/cert)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:32 pm
Good afternoon,

I currently live in Maryland and am seeking to obtain my firearms instructor certifications in Ohio. I am a retired US Marine (serving 22 years) and now own a security (armed and unarmed) & investigations business. I am 1) a certified Maryland state police firearms Instructor, 2) a NRA firearms instructor, 3) certified as a Maryland Private Detective and Maryland Security Officer, 4) a holder of a Maryland concealed weapon permit, and 5) a holder of a Utah concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit.

I am being offered the opportunity to provide firearm training to a large corporation that provides security services throughout the US and around the world. I want to obtain my Ohio concealed weapon permit and instructor’s certification. Does anyone know if Ohio has reciprocity with Maryland or any other states for firearm certifications and/or permits? I've emailed the Ohio State Attorney General requesting additional information. However, I would greatly appreciate any helpful information you can provide. If you prefer to correspond directly, you can reach me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance for your anticipated assistance.
Post subject: Re: New OH License & Certification (Hold MD license/cert)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:12 pm
Your NRA Instructor certification allows you to teach concealed carry classes in Ohio. Depending on how long ago you took the certification class - if it was within the past three years - it might also qualify you for your carry license (yes, that's nuts. If your instructor certification class is over three years old you can teach others but it doesn't qualify you for a license. Government. Pah!)

Take a look at Ohio Revised Code 2923.125 which details the requirements for a concealed handgun license. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post subject: Re: New OH License & Certification (Hold MD license/cert)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:21 pm
thinton:

Welcome Aboard!

I'm not going to try to sort out your question - we have others here who can do it better than I can. I'm still trying to find the paper my wife asked me to copy for her....

However, you should have a look at the sticky referenced in at the top of this page. It's not mandatory, and taking another nap may be a better idea, but that's not what I'm paid to say. Come to think of it, I'm not paid - volunteer.... (It's OK to quit after about page 3.)

You should be able to carry in OH with your existing license from Utah if it's not too old. Fortunately, getting an OH CHL is mostly paperwork and a few bucks, after finding the time. Here in Mahoning County, I went to Columbiana County to get my CHL. (Long story, but you can go to any adjacent County.) Columbiana County was happy to see me, which may qualify them for a group rate at the local shrink, but....

IAC, one visit to the Sheriff's Office downtown, and two to the office at the County Jail a little ways out of town. The first visit, downtown, is more or less random - no appointment, but there are some hours. They'll call you with the next visit date, and then you come back in about a week. Renewals normally only take a few hours, but the last time I renewed, the Deputy who handled that stuff had other duties in the afternoon. Here, we've heard from guys who went from "right now" to come back in a month or something like that.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]