Forum rules

Please have a look at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 before diving too deeply into the board.

Enjoy!
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Will you you lose your CHL if HB 203 becomes law?
Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:13 pm
So if Ohio HB 203 is signed into law does this mean anyone that has had a CHL that had a previous misdemeanor domestic charge will lose there CHL? Because if so I don't think that is right because some people have had them for years and to take them away now isn't right. I mean there are people that have been police officers that have have misdemeanor charge of domestic violence, I just don't think it's right to make someone that may have never been or never since been in trouble for this to have to pay for it there entire life. Does anyone else have a thought on this?
Post subject: Re: Will you you lose your CHL if HB 203 becomes law?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 am
Glock-1:

One of the other guys can give you the full details on HB203 - my brain's resting before hitting the checkbook tonight to pay some bills :D....

However, we've all been living under the Lautenberg Amendment for quite a few years now. Generally, any DV conviction, misdemeanor or felony, and since the beginning of time, is a lock-out. More than a few LEO's had to jump in and get their records sealed when that happened.

Of late, too, the Courts have told people to consider some convictions that don't say "Domestic Violence", but cover crimes that really are, or could be DV, as DV for Lautenberg purposes....

I think that HB203 may affect the CHL holders ability to get a CHL, or to get the conviction sealed. At this point, if you seal a record, any Federal exclusions go away, and HB203 may change that.

I don't think anybody's going to lose a CHL, but renewal could get dicey....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 am
Thank you Stu good info to know!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 am
If you have a DV, get it sealed.

HB 203 is a bad bill. It needs to die. If it passes the feds gets federal law enforced free of charge by all Ohio police departments.

Ohio police departments have no obligation to enforce federal law.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:24 am
If Arizona police have no authority to enforce federal immigration law, I don't see how Ohio police would have the authority to enforce federal gun laws.

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

~ Mark Twain
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]