Forum rules

Please have a look at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 before diving too deeply into the board.

Enjoy!
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Greetings, and how do I sell my registered gun?? :)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:32 pm
I'm new here. My name is Michael, I live in Medina County. I'm not really big into guns, but I do own a P89 Ruger 9mm handgun. My main purpose for joining this board is to find out how to legally sell this gun since it is registered to me in the state of CA. I have lived in Ohio for about 18 years now, but bought this gun when I lived in California. I bought it about 20 yrs ago, and (don't laugh too much), I have never shot it. Not even once. :) LOL.
So, now I've figured "Why the hell do I still have this thing? I doubt I'll ever use it, and it's a nice gun, probably worth a few hundred".
My first concern, though, is the fact that I registered it in my name while I was living in CA. So, before I sell it to someone else, do I need to contact some office in CA and let them know that I'm sellig it, or -how would this work??

Thank you,
Michael
Post subject: Re: Greetings, and how do I sell my registered gun?? :)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:01 am
Michael:

Welcome Aboard!

Please have a look at the sticky referenced in the "Forum Rules" masthead at the top of this page. It's not mandatory, but it may be sleep inducing :D.... And you'll find out who the little dog in my avatar is.

We don't sell firearms on this board, so don't post any "for sale" info, please.

That said, OH does not require registration of firearms. I'm not sure if you have to tell CA about anything, and after 18 years with nobody showing up at your front door to ask, I think you can forget about that.

Here in OH, you can sell a firearm to another individual who's also an OH resident by just doing your best to verify that he/she is an OH resident. A bill of sale is a good idea, and looking at a driver's license and/or CHL is also good, but to be honest, nothing at all that's "concrete" is required. My personal view here is to NOT do this unless you already know the buyer.

You can sell the gun to any licensed dealer (i.e., "Fred's Gun Shop"), although your return may be slightly smaller. He will background the buyer, but by then it's out of your hands entirely. (I once blew a chance to grab an old S&W Chief's Special - a gal came into my local gun pusher's place trying to get a quote on having him buy it, and when she decided not to go with the offer, I could have followed her out into the parking lot and offered a bit more.)

OR, you can find a local dealer that'll background the buyer and let him handle the paperwork. It's essentially the same as selling the gun to the dealer first, but all he sees is his fee - maybe $35. Again, you're out of the loop.

That said, if you have the gun, you may just decide that you really want it.... You can legally open-carry it, although the rules for transporting it in a vehicle are silly, or possibly qualify for a CHL, which has equally silly restrictions, but they're a lot better. And, if you've got the money - maybe $150 as a good start - you don't have to be Diane Finestein (or however it's spelled) to qualify. (There are legal issues in qualification, but nothing like you'd find in CA.)

Usually, somebody will come along and correct me :D.... I keep telling them that I'm infallible, but can't seem to get that across.

DO see if you can find a local range and somebody to walk you through it - you may find that it's fun, even if you're not interested in the "self defense" aspects. Might as well shoot it....

In my case, I've been carrying 24/7 for something like 45 years. Started out as a rent-a-cop (come to think of it, I still am, although "semi-retired" may not indicate how retired I really am), and later shifted to what we called "Affirmative Defense" carry when the City PD pulled all of the rental commissions. (I won't even start to define that, but it's gone now.) In 2004, I had to get a CHL, and hadn't been on the range for quite a while. They wouldn't accept my OH "Police Academy" training - 1967 was kinda too old :) - so I had to take the course. When I got to the "range time" part, and had to actually shoot, I popped off my first round and remembered how much fun I'd been missing. Ten years later, I'm on the range about once a week, and loving it.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:19 am
Greetings MBrown!

As Stu said, you could at least fill out a bill of sale if you conduct a face-to-face sale to maintain a paper trail. Or you could just embrace living in real America and enjoy freedom! I completely understand where you are coming from as I'm currently working on the transition from Maryland to Ohio and quite a few of my firearms are registered with the Maryland State Police. Those of us who hail from Anti-2A states often suffer from BGOS (battered gun owner syndrome) and second think everything firearm related. I can't wait to be permanently in Ohio!

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm
welcome Michael!

as long as you're the lawful owner of it, you should be able to sell it in OH to non-prohibited persons... I don't know if there's anything to do w/ CA regarding the status of your registration, ..but I don't think that enters into your adherence to OH gun law. there is no "gun registration" here, fortunately!

as for feeling you'll never use it, well, if that's all you have it might be nice to have for home defense at least.. if you don't feel comfortable there's a plethora of introductory level classes you could take to overcome that.

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 am
Michael, you could also limit your sale to an Ohio Concealed Handgun License holder. You'll get your proof of residency, background check and age verification all in one ID. That is assuming you decide to actually sell it. Even if it is a stranger, a CHL holder is a pretty safe gamble.

Another option, and this is just me being creative, is to list it for sale on CA gun boards. If anyone in CA buys it, they will need to have an FFL do the transfer which creates a new 4473 with their name on it. That covers your federal paper trail. They will also be required to register a previously CA registered gun that will remove you from the CA paper trail officially.

Let the state of CA sort it out! 8)

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 am
And if anyone ever comes around asking about your old Ruger, please remember this phrase..."Well, there was this boating accident, you see..." :roll:

To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:18 am
Why not sell it to a store, won't any take one to sell instead of trade in on another? Then you get some sort of paperwork showing you sold it.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:19 am
Eugene wrote:
Why not sell it to a store, won't any take one to sell instead of trade in on another? Then you get some sort of paperwork showing you sold it.

Selling to a store or going with a consignment option through a dealer will update the paperwork but it will cut into price considerably. If he is even considering that option then a pawn shop might look pretty good.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 am
And legally there is no such thing as consignment. When a FFL takes the gun it is placed into his inventory. To get your gun back you must fill out a 4473.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]