Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 am
I just wonder why its easy to buy a gun in USA? Does every state have the same law about guns? Is there are any state where guns are banned?
Post subject: Re: Why guns are easy to buy
Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:20 am
FireFighter22:

Welcome aboard!

It's a good idea to have a look at my sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097. Nothing mandatory, and it may put you to sleep, but the first few pages will give you some idea of how this place works, and who's here.

Buying a car, minus all of the BS paperwork that seems to go with it, is, however, a lot easier. If you're buying from a dealer (presuming both of you want to stay legal), you fill out and sign a "Form 4473", show some ID, and the dealer does a "Brady Check", and you're done. There's some craziness involved if you don't pass the test, but in the years since these requirements got bolted in, I think there have been only two or three prosecutions.

Rejections tend to be on technical grounds. Criminals don't seem to be stupid enough to try to buy a gun from a dealer. (If you buy a gun from a dealer at a gun show, he must follow pretty much the same rules as in his store.)

You can buy a gun from an individual. The seller is obliged to do some "due dilligence", but that is kind of wide open.

You can't sell a handgun by mail (or over the internet).... You can arrange for it to go to a licensed dealer near the purchaser, and then the dealer handles the same background check as if the gun was bought from the dealer.

The above, and a few other things, are at the Federal level. States tend to be more restrictive, like magazine capacity limits in some states. No states have banned guns altogether, although getting licensed to carry one may be nearly impossible if you're not "important" enough. When somebody illegally possesses a gun in one of those highly restricted areas, the powers that be almost always blame guns illegally brought in from other states.

Bet we get more comments here now....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 am
Welcome. I just retired from the fire/EMS racket after 35 years. Started introducing myself as a "narcandyman" since reviving addicts had become the thing we were doing the most of. But, you didn't come here to discuss that, pardon the topic drift.

"Easy to get" is a relative term when it comes to firearms laws. No two states have the exact same restrictions, to be sure. Learn those of your own state and any you are traveling to.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 pm
Buying a gun is lot easier than buying a car, and a lot less paperwork than buying a house...
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm
dustymedic wrote:
Buying a gun is lot easier than buying a car, and a lot less paperwork than buying a house...

If buying from a private person yes, but not necessarily so when buying a gun from a licensed dealer.

Buying a car even with cash requires proof of insurance and it must be registered/licensed. Buying a house with cash can be difficult because most title search agencies have no clue what the law is.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:51 pm
Brian D. wrote:
Welcome. I just retired from the fire/EMS racket after 35 years. Started introducing myself as a "narcandyman" since reviving addicts had become the thing we were doing the most of. But, you didn't come here to discuss that, pardon the topic drift....
Congrats!!!! Now you can be a real hell raiser......
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:55 pm
Before 1968 you could go to your local hardware store and buy a gun, no questions asked, as it should be today.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 am
Interesting first post.

FireFighter22 wrote:
I just wonder why its easy to buy a gun in USA?

Well it's suppose to be a right, So logically it should be as unintrusive as possible..
As color of law pointed out before 68 you could buy them no questions asked, infact there was a thriving mail order industry that would ship right to your home.

I have a rifle that was my fathers that near as I can tell was bought that way.
You could have the gun customized like EX: a bolt action you could select what stock you wanted, what caliber, etc.. and the gun would be customized and set to your home.

The 68 gun law killed that with the introduction of FFL (dealers)

FireFighter22 wrote:
Does every state have the same law about guns?

No.. and I don't know enough to recite all the different laws in different states, I have enough trouble keeping Ohio straight.

I think the majority go with the federal law that just requires a instant background check.. in most cases this is a form that's filled out, it's called in and checked to see if the sale can proceed.. unless there is a problem the dealer gets the ok and you can walk out with it, they keep a log of the transaction in their book.

Some states have secondary checks that might go thru state database or something.. and sometimes they cost money to conduct.

Additionally A few states I think have waiting periods and/or require ID card to purchase.. I think Illinois uses one of those cards (FOID), Dealer won't even let you touch a gun without a card.

Some states also have registration where the state keeps track of who own's what.

It should be pointed out a NICS (Federal) check is the minimum and costs nothing.
Dealers will charge a fee for the service if they're transferring the gun shipped to them from another dealer for you for example.. they have to charge because they're not making any money on the gun.

Some dealers have taken to charging NICS fee's even on guns they sale.
The excuse is usually that they don't wanna waste their time on someone who gets denied, So they want a guarantee of some small fee to even attempt.

Personally I suggest you just avoid dealers like that.

FireFighter22 wrote:
Is there are any state where guns are banned?

Out right banned? no not completely.
But there are some states that have very strict laws which limit what's legal.
Big ones would be states like CA & NY

Luckily Ohio is just a NICS check and no registration, Most things can be owned without issue.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]