Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Selling a shotgun to an out of state buyer
Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm
I have a shotgun listed on a gun friendly classifieds site. I was contacted by a gentlemen who lives in New York who was willing to drive to Ohio to buy the gun. He spoke with one of the gun stores in Akron who agreed to facilitate the transfer, but they said it would be $89 and then he has to pay $100 for some background check that isn't the normal NICS background, so he would also have to wait 3 days (and drive back to Ohio to get the gun). The gun store did tell him though that it was unnecessary because he and I could just complete a private sale. I am unclear on what the current laws are for selling long guns, but as far as I was aware, all out of state sales have to go through an FFL. Can somebody educate me here?
Post subject: Re: Selling a shotgun to an out of state buyer
Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm
If the guy finds an FFL in his home state, and then comes here with a shipping box, pays me for the gun, hands me the box, and I pack the gun into the box and hand it to the mailman, would that work? That's all legal and above board, correct?
Post subject: Re: Selling a shotgun to an out of state buyer
Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:14 pm
A person from another state can purchase a long gun from an FFL in Ohio, but for you to sell one it must go through an FFL. Your scenario of shipping to an FFL in his state of residence would work - I'd think you would want to have a copy of the FFL before shipping it to verify that the address you are shipping it to is indeed an FFL. I've had other individuals ship to my FFL and they always did that.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]