Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » Gun Talk

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Review of New JR 9MM Carbine
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hey all, recently been on a quest to find the "Just right" pun intended 9mm Carbine.
As a lefty this can be dicey. Kel-tecs neat Sub-2000 is nifty, but lefties are left with
a less than pleasurable shooting experience. Add to that the last example of such
was wouldn't fire but once out of battery from the factory..

So what's a guy to do? 9mm AR-15s are a possibility. Still waiting for Stag to
introduce a left handed equivalent.. Not crazy about the Hi point and The Beretta
Storm is over priced..

When EMF brought out their ambi/ejection/charging handle JR carbine
I was enthusiastic to say the least. http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/THE ... E-c282.htm
I had hear mixed reviews on some forums. One owner posted a video to youtube
highlighting his carbines jamming issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcJEc6PgK4

However the JR won the prestigious 2010 Cygnus Law Enforcement Innovation Award!

So I decided to go to the source. Debbie, EMFs marketing director offered to supply
an example for test. What follows are my experiences and thoughts on how
to improve this promising design.

Very impressed with the fit & finish. It's an astetically
pleasing, well put together piece of kit. The handling is very instinctive.
The lower is essentially AR-15, it uses the AR's controls and fire control group.
It should be very familiar to anyone who has trained and built muscle memory
with Stoner AR-15 pattern firearms.

The Carbine is hefty for a 9mm but the balance is just right so one hardly notices.
The finish is even applied parked. The Tri flatted barrel "made by Mossberg" is free floated
via a picitinney rail.

First impressions and handling were very good.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/THE ... E-c282.htm

We "my co-instructor and a friend whose a firearms enthusiast," took the JR carbine out
for it's first test run last Thursday. As the carbine does not include sights from the
factory we mounted an Eotech. After loading up some mags with 9mm fmj "Winchester
white box & federal" we were ready to start our testing.

Unfortunately that's when our troubles started. It suffered from continual failures to feed,
with approximately 70% of ejections resulting in stove pipe failure to eject jams, leaving
the brass very mangled. Whether when using the supplied Glock 17 mag or various other
capacity Glock factory magazines the problem seemed to persist. Although function
was slightly better with the Glock 19 15 round capacity magazines.

We were very disappointed with the overall performance. Jams were the norm not
the exception. This is frustrating since the carbine showed exceptional accuracy.
At 15 yards our groups were 1 moa. More of 1 ragged hole than a pattern.
We found this exceptional since we had to continually disrupt our sight picture and
stance to clear the jams.

We fired a total of 350 rounds through the carbine. The first 100 in the right handed
as from factory configuration. As many of us are left handed we switched to port side
ejection for the remaining 250 rounds fired.

Observations, The miniscule screw that holds the charging handle in place is a weak point.
It loosened up repeatedly during testing. Locktight thread lock might be a good temporary
fix but this would hamper disassembly and the charging handle must be removed for
disassembly. As this is reversible "a great idea" is must obviously not be permanently affixed,
however a stronger attachment method is needed if this carbine is to be considered for serious
use.

Speaking of disassembly, it would be a wonderful upgrade if the carbine could be disassembled
via push pins ala AR-15. The removal of the stock, buffer tube etc to remove/reverse bolt is
cumbersome. Not a deal breaker for a fun plinker but a better system is needed for a rifle
for moderate to hard use.

Ejection seems to be the biggest failing in our example. I wonder has this been an ongoing issue or
perhaps we just got a bad apple? The extractor and it's spring seem very undersized and a
bit anemic. Perhaps this area needs reworked to ensure proper functioning..

Next step it'll be returning o the factory for repiar of replacement.

Overall We all liked and enjoyed the JR carbine, it has great potential.
We def hope to give the JR carbine another chance.

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garmet, and buy one
Luke 22:36

Post subject: Re: Review of New JR 9MM Carbine
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 am 

Thanks for the review!

I like the magazine commonality w/ G - 9MM family; I wouldn't buy a jam-o-matic though... When (if) I ever get a pistol-caliber carbine, it will be the Kel-tec SUB 2000 in .40 S&W .... I still don't see the purpose of carbines chambered in pistol calibers other than cartridge/mag commonality (or fun to shoot?) If I am woods-loafing, hiking, canoeing, etc; I will carry, for the same weight, a full rifle caliber, shotgun, or .22LR. It's not like I am going to CC the thing, or conduct hostage rescue, take down, or CQB special operations... :roll: Heck, even when I did that sort of stuff in the USN all I had was an M9 :? (which never left the holster...we used blue-guns for training.) I needed my hands free to review paperwork, go through shipping manifests and handle radios more than anything...a carbine would have been a PITA, IMHO ...YMMV :)

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

"Vigilia aeterna est pretium libertatis"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:31 pm 

Overall We all liked and enjoyed the JR carbine... Really?!?!?!? How is that even possible????

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Lol, yeah, I know what you're saying. My point was the rifle was well laid out, ergonomic and well balanced, very accurate with little recoil. However since it was unreliable and had many failures to function it should be avoided until the design is perfected.

Joe Reeser wrote:
Overall We all liked and enjoyed the JR carbine... Really?!?!?!? How is that even possible????

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garmet, and buy one
Luke 22:36

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 pm 

Call me old fashioned, being a lefty, my Marlin Camp 9 works just fine. It uses S&W mags that fit my M&P. Best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Buckeye Firearms Association » Gun Talk