Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm
I have been on the hunt for an affordable bolt action .22 rifle to set up for small game hunting. Unfortunately there just aren't a lot of choices out there for bolt action .22. Then somebody posted about the Marlin Model XT-22. They are under $200 and most of the reviews I have seen give them high marks for the money. Here is a link to their web site...

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/XT22.asp

I was wondering if anyone has one of these and can give me some thoughts on its quality, accuracy, etc.

Fortune Hunter

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Post subject: Re: Marlin Model XT-22
Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm
Marlins are great for the kids because they are cheap. Cheap being the operative word. If you want a serious .22LR bolt action I would look at Savage or CZ. Plan on adding $150-$300 more however. The money spent will immediately be apparent in the triggers and accuracy.

Whatever you can get that Marlin to do at 50 yards the CZ's and Savages in the $400 range will do it better at 75 yards. A few extra bucks in a .22LR goes a long long way but that can be said about most things.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:43 pm
Unless the satisfying cocking and metal smacking sound is something you really prefer, I would honestly go for a 10/22. The benefits of having semi-auto in the short range enviornment (less than 100 yards) is better. 10/22 run around $200-$250 and for the price about the best .22 you can get, plus you can get about any attatchment you can think of.

I have sworn up the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." -J. Edgar Hoover
Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:42 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
Marlins are great for the kids because they are cheap. Cheap being the operative word. If you want a serious .22LR bolt action I would look at Savage or CZ. Plan on adding $150-$300 more however. The money spent will immediately be apparent in the triggers and accuracy.

Whatever you can get that Marlin to do at 50 yards the CZ's and Savages in the $400 range will do it better at 75 yards. A few extra bucks in a .22LR goes a long long way but that can be said about most things.

My wife's first gun was a Marlin 25N 22 bolt action, a buddy had one, and every time I shot it I liked it, and I would look at it and say to myself "self, that is a nice looking rifle" and I still tell myself that every time I ruin a starlings day with her Marlin.

Dan I'm calling FOUL unless you have some source of info that shows the Savage to be 50% more accurate than the Marlin. When I think of "cheap, clunky, clumsy" SAVAGE is the maker I'd apply that label to not Marlin. Everybody on the net is putting the OP's topic rifle dead even to anything Savage offers.

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 am
If you have a Dunham's Sports near you,I think they carry that Marlin bolt action,and Savage models.Real low priced.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:51 pm
How can you tell when you are on a real classy gun thread?

When the brand war is between Marlin and Savage.

:mrgreen:

"One man with courage is a majority." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. ~ Luke 22:36
Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:01 pm
2ndafe wrote:
How can you tell when you are on a real classy gun thread?

When the brand war is between Marlin and Savage.

:mrgreen:

Marlins that I have worked with have always been very nice rifles. Grandpas 30-30 lever action, Dads model 39a, and the 22 lr and 17hmr bolt actions my wife has, all nice rifles.

Bill

American held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......for an indefinite period of time going forward..........

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 pm
willbird wrote:
Dan I'm calling FOUL unless you have some source of info that shows the Savage to be 50% more accurate than the Marlin. When I think of "cheap, clunky, clumsy" SAVAGE is the maker I'd apply that label to not Marlin. Everybody on the net is putting the OP's topic rifle dead even to anything Savage offers.

I owned a 25N myself until about a year ago. I went through the range variety box and tried all sorts of ammo in it. It did pretty well with Wolfe Match and Eley Match but the stuff you would normally shoot like CCI in standard velocity, velocitors, mini mags, stingers, Federal, Blazer, Remington and Winchester bulks...Bah! After 50 yards the gun was worthless for squirrel head sized groups.

50% better is a bit of a stretch. I also specifically said Savages in the $400 range. Savages almost always make a showing in the competitions. I rarely see Marlins. CZ is definitely boss. Anshutz and Sako almost never make a showing but those are so expensive no one can afford them. FYI I'm talking about silhouette, action rifle and rimfire sporter competitions.

There is nothing wrong with Marlins specifically but I have shot air rifles that are more accurate than their cheap small game lines. I'll not own any more of them now that my standards have become spoiled. That's what happens when you RSO matches and work at a shooting range for a living.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
willbird wrote:

I owned a 25N myself until about a year ago. I went through the range variety box and tried all sorts of ammo in it. It did pretty well with Wolfe Match and Eley Match but the stuff you would normally shoot like CCI in standard velocity, velocitors, mini mags, stingers, Federal, Blazer, Remington and Winchester bulks...Bah! After 50 yards the gun was worthless for squirrel head sized groups.

50% better is a bit of a stretch. I also specifically said Savages in the $400 range. Savages almost always make a showing in the competitions. I rarely see Marlins. CZ is definitely boss. Anshutz and Sako almost never make a showing but those are so expensive no one can afford them. FYI I'm talking about silhouette, action rifle and rimfire sporter competitions.

There is nothing wrong with Marlins specifically but I have shot air rifles that are more accurate than their cheap small game lines. I'll not own any more of them now that my standards have become spoiled. That's what happens when you RSO matches and work at a shooting range for a living.

A minor point, Air rifles by nature are FAR more accurate than most if not ALL 22lr rifles. 22 lr is by nature a crippled cartridge that will NEVER be nearly as accurate as cartridges that do not use a heeled bullet. I have quoted the statistics that prove this before, but if you look up the benchrest records for 22lr, the best groups recorded in the world ever for the cartridge, in the very best equipment, with very shooters, the results are very ho-hum, esp the aggregates.

Bill

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:58 pm
my nephew has a marlin xt .

i dont see a thing wrong with it , no complaints with how it shoots or functions .
i dont realy see how a person can go wrong for the price .

someone mentined dunhams ... watch the flyer in your sunday paper . if your not in a big hurry to buy one ive seen them listed as a sunday/monday only sale for $159.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:49 am
A quick search found savages in the $200.00 range with the Accutrigger.
I'm curious to the differences between these and the more expensive savages.

Now after perusing this thread I want to see a head to head for those rifles. (Savage vs. marlin

In the mean time my Ruger 10/22 is sufficient for my needs.

basically posting to subscribe to the thread.

--
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 pm
I bought a Mossberg 42M about a year ago. It is a tack driver at 100yd. $100.00.

"Our Constitution is a document in which "We the people" tell the government what it is allowed to do. "We the people" are free." - Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1/11/1989

My friends, never forget this.
NRA
GOA
2AF
Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 pm
Karl der Grosse

Those old Mossbergs rock! A guy I used to coon hunt with carried the 42B. The magazine was lost so he inserted a hand carved wooden plug to make it a single shot. The thing was absolutely beat up. If he could see the target he could hit the target though. Using open sights at that.

Farslayer and Fortune Hunter.

Have a look over at Rimfire Central in the Marlin Forum. QC issues, trigger jobs, poor bedding etc etc. A lot of out of the box tinkering that you rarely see in a higher end brand or model (competitors excluded). The guys that like them however appear to be loyal to them.

Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 am
Buckeye Dan wrote:
Karl der Grosse

The guys that like them however appear to be loyal to them.

It really comes down to this I suppose, for me "Savage" has never been the answer to any question that has ever been asked, for some it is the ONLY answer :-).

Ironically the selling point of the Savage guns back 20 years ago was CHEAP with decent quality, now many others have been getting into the CHEAP aspect, and the debate is how much quality you get with your CHEAP :-).

Bill

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm
Quote:
If you want a serious .22LR bolt action I would look at Savage or CZ. Plan on adding $150-$300 more however.

I have heard of the Savage and I was looking into those, but the CZ I can't say I know much about.

Quote:
I bought a Mossberg 42M about a year ago. It is a tack driver at 100yd. $100.00.

I am intrigued. I have a Mossberg 500, pump 20 gauge, but nothing else. I never thought to look at them for .22. I will have to check it out.

Thank you for all the great suggestions, I am going to check some of these out and see where the trail goes.

Fortune Hunter

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
 Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next