Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:45 am
Been reading a bit lately about the quality of Marlin rifles really taking a turn for the worse in recent years because Remington has done some dumb things with the company.

I have an older Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 (1970s era) and I'd like to add another similar gun, probably the Marlin 1895SBL. But I sure don't want to drop $800-900 on a piece of crap.

Does anyone here have any real experience with recent Marlin rifles?

TIA for any feedback.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://mcullison.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @camdenmike

I got a gun for my wife. Good trade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post subject: Re: Marlin Rifles
Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:04 am
No exp with recent builds, Last one I messed with was a 08 model 60 and it was excellent, But I think that was before the buyout, I too have heard the rumor that recent quality has dipped but can't say 1st hand.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 pm
I bought a new marlin 1895 to use for deer hunting this past season and found it to look nice function without any problems and to be accurate

M&M
Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:02 pm
Thanks guys. I really like the 1895SBL and might just pick one up. I looked up the serial # on my 1895 and it was made in 1974. Has the straight grip stock and the mag tube doesn't go all the way out to the end of the barrel. Bought it in an online auction maybe 10 years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://mcullison.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @camdenmike

I got a gun for my wife. Good trade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 am
Marlin rifles went to crap during the Remington transition. They have since improved but still aren't quite what they were. During the transition there were serious functional issues and really poor fit and finish issues. They are still a little rough in the finish department but they function now.

Just inspect the one you intend to buy and ignore the floor model. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one today.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:00 pm
I haven't shot my 60 since I was a kid, it had to be disassembled and cleaned every other tube full or it would misfeed. I've been using the AR7 more and its way more reliable.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 am
I guess there are always exceptions, but my .32WSp M94 shot 2" 100 yd groups with reloads, and my .356Win shot 1" groups with factory loads. Trigger pull on the .32WSp was 12 pounds, though. My M71 shot, at best, 4" groups but I loved using it anyway. I didn't know the trigger on the M99 could be improved. I appreciate that info. Will someday, hopefully, snag one in .358. I am a sucker for old .35's. I keep looking at the BLR but can't get past the looks and the aluminum receiver. Yes, I do mostly woods hunting.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:53 pm
I have an 1895gs 45/70 (Bought new fall 2014) Stainless that is ok in workmanship. First thing I had to do was get the files and stones out to clean the burrs from the bolt and the action After that it seamed to be a bit better. Internals seemed a bit crude to my likings but it's a cool Gun. haven't dialed it into being a tack driver just yet and I have my doubts about the 300 yard shots. I really like the feel of the gun, Has an appeal to me. I just wish the quality was better on the internals. Watch out for scope bite! It is a BEAST!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:43 am
I have been thinking about a 30/30 (comparing the Marlin and the Henry). I am leaning toward the Henry, although it is a lot more expensive-- I believe it is worth the price.

...the right to keep and arm bears. :^b
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:18 am
I have a lever action 39A-22 S/L/LR, a lever action 57-22 magnum and a Camp 9, semi-auto 9mm. All older rifles. All excellent condition. All are accurate and smooth operating. Will buy a 30/30 some day and when I do it will be an older model.

I would only buy an older model.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]