Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:17 pm
I've been looking at verious rifle cartriges over the last two years and am leaning towards the 300 Winchester magnum. I own a 308 now but want to move up to a magnum round but not wanting anymore recoil than necessary. I'm not wanting to hunt w/ it as much as I want it for target use. I'm not wanting the latest and most powerful round out there, I just want a round that is capable of 5 to 600 yard shots....(I have a place to shot without going to a range)..... and I want to stay w/ a 30 caliber round. I've been looking online and elsewhere and am under the impression this is a popular round and has been around a long time and is easier on the budget compared to some of the newer, more powerful rounds out there in 30 cal. also. Any comment on this round would be appreciated....thanks.

3FULLMAGS+1
They say the best "Home Remedy" for Tyranny is... LEAD POISONING!
Post subject: Re: 300 Win. Magnum
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:46 pm
The .308 is quite capable of 5 to 600 yard shots with good match ammo. In fact, the military classifies it as effective out to 800 yards (except for the USMC who classify it as capable of up to 1000 yard) effective hits.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 pm
Ditto Justa. I have a 300 Win Mag but I bought it for the 1000+ yard shots. I don't have a regular place to shoot it, but I have a friend that has hundreds of acres in Kentucky that I can occasionally take it to shoot. It's a much more expensive round than the 308 and for what you want, really overkill. I'd stick with the 308.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 pm
Well, you two just took the wind out of my sails, as some others have also....I've got the same advice from a few others too.....lol!
The thought of working with the 308 I have now , HAS crossed my mind

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:35 pm
LOL Just change your post to replace "5 to 600 yard shots" with "1000 yard shots" and now a .300 Win Mag makes perfect sense!

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 pm
Well....lol....1000yds will, (probably), never be my goal, but then maybe I'm intentionally holding myself back , but I have a place to make a 600 yd shot. I'm just thinking that at 300 WM velocities, it would make that shot a lot easier....and I'm not against a little "overkill" for that matter!

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:00 am
Then why not step up to .418 Barrett or .458 Socom? Just asking if you aren't against a little overkill. .300 Win Mag is a much "flatter" round.

The big difference is 300 Win Mag is about 250 ft/sec faster and has about a 5-10 MOA difference at 500 yards. However, factory ammo, think about spending at least 50% more if not generally twice as much.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 am
I figured you might say that Jedi. I'm aware that it's a flatter round and that's why I am considering it. As for overkill, the 300 WM is where I was considering drawing the line on that, but I'm new to rifles more or less as I've played around w/ revolvers all my life and looking at rifles since about two years and now am getting more interested. By the way....My rifle has a 24" barrel w/ a 1 in 10" twist....will this barrel stabilize a heavier bullet, say a 170 to 200 grain bullet,(if I want to even go that heavy). I'm getting conflicting opinions somewhat? This rifle,as far as I have used it, is good out to 300 yards on factory rounds,(w/ 150 grn bullets), but that's all I've done w/ it so far. If I don't like what I can do w. it out to 600 yds and decide to purchase something else then I may move up to the 300, that's all, but just trying to get some opinions on what it "should" do w/ the barrel it has and what it will do with heavier bullets.....thanks. Jedi.

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:41 pm
A 1 in 10 twist will eat anything. That's actually a good twist rate that lets you feed it pretty much any weight, even up to 240 grain bullet. I hand load my 300 Win Mag and do it with a 200 grain bullet. I generally shoot it 200-300 yards and can hit a quarter quite easily. I'm not 600 yard certified at the range I belong to yet but once I am I'll probably only shoot that distance. I have taken it out to 1000 yards a few time and have no problem with accuracy. My main problem is I placed a scope on it that's good for about 600 yards but I figured that was my general distance I'd always be shooting and knew eventually I'd build a long distance .223 rifle and could move the scope to that one and get a Nightforce for my 300.

Some may say I went overkill...but I knew from day one I would be hand loading and therefore did not care about ammo costs. That and I was set on the rifle and it only came in 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua. I knew Lapua was way overkill and I wanted something that bullets were slightly easier to find. I call 300 Win Mag a 308 on steroids. The only difference between the two is about 40-45 grains of powder vs 70-75 grains. So, a heck of a lot more punch behind it. And for 75 cents a round vs about 60 cents, not much difference with each pull of the trigger when hand loading.

I will end with if you don't mind the extra costs, go 300 Win Mag over 308. Just realize ammo is more expensive and there are less chances for big box purchases. Generally, you buy 300 Win Mag by the 20 round box, no 500 or 1000 round deals.

Oh, and you will significantly shorten a barrel life on a 300 Win Mag, somewhere between 25-50% round count loss. Of course, if you've never replaced a barrel in any firearm, then it probably won't be an issue.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:15 pm
Jedi, what gain do you feel you have with a 26" barrel v. a 24" like my rifle has....do you feel there is much to be gained at 5 to 600 yards...what about 800 yards?
I realize I may not be asking the right question here so....

3FULLMAGS+1
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 am
On a 300 Win Mag you lose about 35 ft/sec initially for each 1" you cut the barrel down. That's not really going to affect much at any of the ranges you mentioned. Even after 1500 yards it's not going to really affect much besides maybe a slightly larger drop, but we are talking less than an inch. Accuracy won't be affected much either, maybe at most 1/4" if even that. If you start going lower than 24" on a 300 Win Mag barrel then a lot will be affected as it won't gain the proper twist and pressure needed for travel.

I have a 26" barrel with a 1:10 twist on mine. The biggest key with a 300 Win Mag is the muzzle brake in my opinion. 300 Win Mag has a kick to it. 25 rounds in a day and your shoulder won't be worth much unless mixed in with other guns to give it a break. A good muzzle brake will help expand that range. I have the Savage 110 BA and have the factory brake on it. Here's my rifle as currently set up...

About all I can say with the muzzle brake is don't stand next to it. It expels a lot of air off to the sides. I had my spotting scope on the table next to me once sitting about even with the bipod and it blew it right off and broke the mount. Luckily, lifetime warranty replaced that but it blows about 10 feet out tot he sides but reduces recoil a ton from other 300 Win Mags I've shot.

If you can't tell, I'm a 300 Win Mag fan. Great round all around. Nothing bad can really be said about it besides the expense it can generate.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:03 am
The 300 Win Mag is an excellent caliber as the 7MM Mag. I have both are depending on the bullet you chose to shoot both have long range bullet tradjectories. The 300 Win mag has much more recoil then the 7mm mag and would be felt more in a light rifle. The 300 Win mag has an edge at long distance but the 7mmMag is also a flat shooting rifle.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:41 am
Constankane:

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that might be worth a look, but it's not mandatory. Probably will give you a headache, though.

I have a buddy with a 300 Win Mag. He finds it rather unpleasant to shoot, but more than useful in the field. My one and only rifle is a single-shot .22; I'm into handguns :D....

(But proponents of either are welcome here.)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:42 am
300 Win mag in my opinion is a bridge between 30-06 and 308 .....
if you want to go 500-600 yards a hand rolled .223 will do it quite nicely all day long.. but in the .30 cal area I prefer 308 its much cheaper to buy and cheaper to reload .. 308 can and will do up to 1000 yards reliable every time and 30-06 will go 1400 to where the 300n win mag will go 1000 easily but has a much flatter trajectory..

It really boils down to several factors ,
.1 ammo cost 300 win mag is a expensive round
.2 availability of the ammo and the loaded cartage
.3 do you reload if so you can experiment with various loads and taior custom rounds to find out what the rifle loves every rifle even though they may be the same they will have suttle differences that will make a huge difference when/if you reload that make accuracy a huge difference

me personally I love my 308 its a much easier round to tailor custom rounds for and there is such a variety to choose from ...

but each to their own

We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."
Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 am
I've not really worked w/ my 308 that much and I'm getting the same sort of comments/opinions from others as I'm getting here. As I've mentioned before, I'm making 300yd shots w. factory loads at this point but would like to reach out to 600yds and thought if I'm going to start reloading, I'd move up to something w. a much flatter trajectory. Guess it's just a matter of opinion. Looks like I may stick w/ the 308 and start reloading for it and see where that leads. Thanks for the opinions guys!

3FULLMAGS+1
 Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next