Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:51 am
Sight picture doesn't need to be perfect. Check out our newest video discussing the topic.

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
Post subject: Re: Acceptable sight picture
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:33 am
Very informative. However, the majority of the gun tote'n public are lucky to go shooting once a year. Most gun fights will take place in a 10 foot radius or less. In the heat of the moment the majority will just point and shoot. Taking 5 seconds to align the sights just ain't go'n to happen.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXI2xtOLMJs The owner goes to the range about once a year.

I'm just say'n.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:42 am
Color of Law,

If we look at LE shooting stats you will see that nationally the hit ratio of LE shootings is around 19%, at 12 feet and closer you will see it around 32%-38%. But that is an average and not an accurate reflection of what happens. Incidents like the one in Cleveland where well over 100 shots were fired destroy the average.

Though look at an agency like Columbus PD. They have a solid training program, both in fundamentals of marksmanship and tactics. They tend to confront people at further distances because of their tactics and their officer involved shootings have more rounds hitting the target because of their training program. Training is an important part of your success is my point.

I am assuming you are being facetious about the "taking 5 seconds to align the sights" comment. Most people who attend just my 8 hour handgun class will fire 5 rounds in a 7 inch target at 15 feet in 4 seconds or less as a beginner. The thing is, I don't teach point shooting. Great shooters whether they are combative shooters or competition shooters don't practice point shooting. We teach proper sighted shooting. Point shooting in the sense of not using the sights is a disaster waiting to happen. Over the years I have shot really fast and hit what I was shooting at, I can tell you that I didn't always see my sights but the gun is up in front of my face and I am pretty sure my eyes and brain are processing some semblance of the sights. The flip side is when I miss, most of the time it is because I am staring at the target and looking over the sights.

Live fire shooting is over rated. You can get away with live fire on a 1-2 times a year basis but you need to dry practice on a regular basis. The argument that the average person is too lazy or too busy to do it is a cop out.

Stay Safe, Andrew

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:19 pm
ApexShootingTactics wrote:
Color of Law,

If we look at LE shooting stats you will see that nationally the hit ratio of LE shootings is around 19%, at 12 feet and closer you will see it around 32%-38%. But that is an average and not an accurate reflection of what happens. Incidents like the one in Cleveland where well over 100 shots were fired destroy the average.

Though look at an agency like Columbus PD. They have a solid training program, both in fundamentals of marksmanship and tactics. They tend to confront people at further distances because of their tactics and their officer involved shootings have more rounds hitting the target because of their training program. Training is an important part of your success is my point.

I am assuming you are being facetious about the "taking 5 seconds to align the sights" comment. Most people who attend just my 8 hour handgun class will fire 5 rounds in a 7 inch target at 15 feet in 4 seconds or less as a beginner. The thing is, I don't teach point shooting. Great shooters whether they are combative shooters or competition shooters don't practice point shooting. We teach proper sighted shooting. Point shooting in the sense of not using the sights is a disaster waiting to happen. Over the years I have shot really fast and hit what I was shooting at, I can tell you that I didn't always see my sights but the gun is up in front of my face and I am pretty sure my eyes and brain are processing some semblance of the sights. The flip side is when I miss, most of the time it is because I am staring at the target and looking over the sights.

Live fire shooting is over rated. You can get away with live fire on a 1-2 times a year basis but you need to dry practice on a regular basis. The argument that the average person is too lazy or too busy to do it is a cop out.

No I'm not being facetious. Time yourself in the video.

A cop out? Maybe, but 99.44% of people who carry will never see your video and if they did they don't care what you think.

I said your video is very informative. However, even the small number that participate on gun forums don't spend alot of time discussing proper shooting practices.

And I know a number of cops that only shoot for qualification. If everyone would meet your criteria there would be no SWAT teems.

I'm just say'n.....
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:44 pm
Color of law,

You misunderstood what I am doing in the video. I am purposely aligning the sights incorrectly according to the template to show how sloppy the sight picture can be and still score hits. The point is when you are moving fast it isn't going to be perfect and lacking a better term this was kind of scientific in the manner I am purposely lining up the sights wrong, that takes effort so yes it took several seconds.

I am fine with people not watching or caring what I say. I only worry about those who want to learn and not putting forth some effort to maintain skills and get a little better is a cop out.

I disagree with your SWAT Team statement. Shooting is only a small part of what SWAT does and the truth is patrol officers get into far more shooting than SWAT teams do. I am not trying to force anyone into being the best gunslinger this side of the Mississippi, the point is to give people the skills and the confidence to survive a lethal force encounter whether they are a barrel chested freedom fighter or an 80 year old retiree.

Edit to add the following....

Here is a video of me in a match recently. This was all about finding an acceptable sight picture and trigger control for each target that ranged from 10 feet to 60 feet and impact zones varied.

Stay Safe, Andrew

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]