Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 pm
I had a squib load in my 9mm Beretta PX4 today. Federal ammo, not a reload. The casing had scorching on the side and did not eject. The bullet was jammed about halfway down the barrel and I had to have the on-site gunsmith remove it (it was really jammed in there).

After it was cleared, I shot another 17 rounds, and it seemed to be fine, but I read elsewhere that another guy had a squib load that bulged the barrel a bit and it would no longer fire accurately.

My question is this... how often does a squib load damage the barrel? Should I be concerned about any other issues?
Post subject: Re: Squib load today
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:46 am
johnb:

If the gun is working OK, kiss the nearest religious object of your choice, and forget about damage to the gun.

HOWEVER, if you do get a squib, always check the barrel for obstructions before continuing.

I've had a few - one in a commercial reload (Ultra-Max), which turned out to not have a primer, and two with my reloads. The latest one just had a primer. The projectile never left the case, although it's pretty clear that the projectile wasn't pleased :) .... A previous one had a light powder charge, and hung up during the "reload" phase of the gun's cycle. The projectile landed inside the barrel, just past the chamber. Fortunately, the next round, after clearing the misfeed, wouldn't chamber.

SO, we make a rule: After you clear a misfire or apparent squib, check the chamber and bore!

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:20 am
johnb wrote:
I read elsewhere that another guy had a squib load that bulged the barrel a bit and it would no longer fire accurately.

My question is this... how often does a squib load damage the barrel? Should I be concerned about any other issues?

A squib can't damage the barrel, you have nothing to worry about. What can bulge the barrel is to fire one (or more) rounds *after* the squib with a bullet lodged in the bore. Or, I suppose you could damage the barrel removing the bullet from the bore but you'd be hard pressed to actually bulge it - scratch it up or damage the crown, sure, but I can't see bulging the barrel removing the bullet.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 pm
I agree with JustAShooter, a bulge is caused by a second round being fired while the barrel is obstructed.
I know of a gunsmith that worked on a 1911 that had a barrel with TWO bulges in it.
The idiot that owned the gun had done it once, cleared the barrel, and then did it again.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:13 pm
During the recent times of ammunition buying hysteria the companies responded by seriously ramping up production. Quality control suffered.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:23 pm
Relieved to hear it didn't damage the gun. Thanks for all the knowledgeable answers.

What's your opinion of the highest quality ammo line or manufacturer? Within reasonable limits, that is. Not the most expensive but the best "bang" for the buck.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:11 pm
^ To that.....

Brian D. wrote:
During the recent times of ammunition buying hysteria the companies responded by seriously ramping up production. Quality control suffered.

It's pretty much across-the-board.

Yesterday's class was the second time in the past year that I've heard from an instructor who's seen an increase in ammo defects - including squibs - in the past two or so years.

Remember that range-fodder is range-fodder, johnb. Federal is as good a name as any, and in all honesty, there's only a couple of big makes that pretty much owns them all (Federal is under the ATK umbrella of Federal/Lake, CCI, Speer, and Blazer).

Overall, of the failures that I as a shooter can potentially mitigate the outcome of, the squib is perhaps my most feared: rapid-fire, I wonder if I'll catch that squib before I trigger off the next round...... :xconf:

-Allen
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:50 pm
Last week I had a squib load while shooting my 22LR AR, I was doing double taps on steel and after one of the first shots it failed to eject and after examining it I realized that I had a squib load. I found the 22LR 36 gn HP Lead round about 4" from the chamber in the barrel. After removing the obstruction I resumed shooting. Probably been more than 20 years since my last squib which was a 38spc factory load.

Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, Varmint Hunters Association member
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 pm
I agree with TSiWRX. Target ammo produced by the ATK complex is very reliable and reasonably priced (whatever that means these days). I also recommend Fiocchi "Pistol Shooting Dynamics" ammo in their blue box in any caliber. Some may disagree, but I've never had a problem with Fiocchi and it's very accurate. And another to consider is Aguila, particularly the .22 LR "Interceptor" ammo.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves". - Edward R. Murrow
Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:55 pm
One of my friends in Viet Nam was a captain who was in charge of a Phung Hoang unit. I went on several operations with him. He told me about one of the Viet Namese troopers having a squib during a firefight when he was in full auto mode. They had to medevac the trooper and the M-16 was a complete write off.

-- Mike
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:42 am
Different from a squib but another sign that ammo companies were in hyperdrive mode to the exclusion of good QC practices: Couple years ago a student at TDI had not one but two factory rounds (maybe .40 S&W caliber, can't recall) from the same box that made a weak 'pop' but didn't come close to cycling the slide nor was a bullet impact apparent.

As it turned out the culprit was those two cases had no flash hole drilled between the primer pocket and where the powder sits. So the bullets hadn't even moved from their crimped position. Of course you can't know that without looking. In both instances I was running the timer and got the shooter stopped immediately because those primer-only 'pop's could have meant something else, like a bullet stuck in the barrel.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 am
I have heard of the missing primer flash hole but have never encountered one. I *have* encountered an inverted primer, but I caught that one while loading the mag. I often wonder what would have happened if the primer would have ignited - I know it wouldn't have ignited the powder charge of course, but what would it have done to the breach face, firing pin or striker, etc.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:01 am
As a handloader (since October 2012), I've managed more than one inverted primer. I find 'em during a last check before bagging the new rounds up for the range, or when loading a magazine. Never dropped the hammer on one - I don't think I'd want to find out, but it's probably not going to be too dangerous/damaging as long as I have my safety glasses on.

I also had one commercial reload that lacked a primer. No idea how that happened. I've managed the same thing here, too, but the same quick check for inverted primers finds those.

I've also run into some .45ACP cases made to run with small pistol primers - the standard is a large pistol primer. Really mess trying to prime one of those cases. I expect I could detonate the primer if I really whacked the handle, but since there's no powder in the casing at that time, lots of potential fire and noise ought to be all that I'd see. (The Dillon press I'm using has the primer setting hardware some distance from the primer feed tube. Anything can happen, of course, but I wouldn't panic.)

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:32 am
I know exactly what you are talking about with the small primer .45ACP cases - I've been running into them for a while, the first couple were a surprise. I didn't detonate the primer but it sure messed things up since I run a progressive press as you can imagine. Now I check any brass I acquire to make sure there aren't any of them in the mix.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:37 pm
Small primered .45 used to be just for the non-Toxic/lead free ammo. Used to be easy to spot as the headstamp had NT On it. Over the last 3-4 years it's been appearing with a lot more and not just the NT stuff. I try and catch as much as I can during sorting after cleaning but sometimes miss a few. I use Hornady LnL Progressive and can feel when it's a small primer case while trying to prime. I keep a container handy when loading .45Auto and throw it in there. When I have enough of it, I'll do a run with small primers and then use it at lost brass matches. Really wish the manufacturers would mark it with SP or something like they did the NT.

Dale
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]