Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Pros and cons of light weight and heavy weight rifles?
Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:16 am
Hello everyone,

I'm making a project and so I need your help. I want to know the advantage and disadvantage of light weight and heavy weight rifles. Some points I know but I don't want to skip any. That's why I'm asking here. Care to reply as I want it very soon.

Get firearms safety training online from an NRA certified school.
MA Gun License
Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of light weight and heavy weight rifles?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:58 pm
GunnerJacky wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm making a project and so I need your help. I want to know the advantage and disadvantage of light weight and heavy weight rifles. Some points I know but I don't want to skip any. That's why I'm asking here. Care to reply as I want it very soon.

Are we talking precision rifles (bolt guns) or battle rifles (AR/AK)?

I am of the opinion that battle rifles need to be light and robust. Too light weight and you tend to compromise how robust the rifle is. Bolt guns you ride a fine line. My beloved Marine Corps screwed up by making the M40A3 so damn heavy and they did this by requesting "Sniper Fill" in the McMillan stock which was a heavier filler inside the stock itself. Most short actions (308, 243, 6.5cm and so on) do not need to be over 15lbs, the recoil is not significant enough and what recoil they have can be mitigated by using a good muzzle brake or suppressor and proper fundamentals. Long action magnums are a slightly different story. A 300 wm under 10lbs is going to kick like a mule. If all you are doing with it is going out to harvest a Elk and you are carrying it all over the gods creation then I get it but shooting 20+ rds in a day is not going to be pleasant. I wouldn't say go heavy but be careful going light and a brake or suppressor on long action mags is a good idea.

Now, the flip side is if you are shooting bench rest only then go as heavy as you can but i like my rifles to be mobile andI should be able to shoot positional all day and not wear my self out.

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
 Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]