Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:04 pm
New to the forum. As the title states this will be a set of questions surrounding NFA Firearms.

Short synopsis on who is posting: I am a young gunsmith that works in LE with one of my siblings at a local agency, also compete as a SASS Shooter with my entire family and have always wanted some NFA Firearms. Along with the rest of the family.

So to the thick of it, HERE COME THE QUESTIONS

What are some decent lawyers for setting up gun trusts in Ohio/ Northeast Ohio?

Legalities of the NFA, such as ownership, creation, or purchasing by an individual under 21?

And just any thoughts anyone is willing to share with a family looking to start a new hobby?

I know it is generic; however, thank you in advance for the knowledge!
Post subject: Re: NFA Firearms
Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:54 pm
TNARB007:

Welcome Aboard!

I have the feeling that an "under 21" situation could cause problems with NFA Trusts, but really have no idea.... I hope that others who know about this will jump in here. The Feds are trying to make just about any gunsmithing into "business", and demand all kinds of expensive registration and oversight. So far it's just talk, but....

Meantime, there's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that's probably worth a look. It's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing, but you might learn something. (Just the first couple pags.... It degenerates into inside jokes and general silliness....)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, or to reply to other questions. You might learn something, or might know something....

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 am
TNARB007, shoot me an email. I can talk you through the trust stuff. I am at 12 stamps and waiting on two more. I've been in LE for 18 years. My NFA lawyer is not in Ohio but his trust works fine.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 pm
I used Derek DeBrosse, an attorney in Columbus, Ohio. He is very knowledgeable and active in advocacy for gun owner rights. Another good attorney whom I am acquainted with is George Lyon. He is in DC and is associated with Arsenal Attorneys. Atty. Lyon was one of the attorneys on the Heller case a couple of years back. He is extremely knowledgeable about the ins and outs of NFA trusts. The only reason that I might choose Mr. DeBrosse over Atty. Lyon is the fact that he is licensed to practice in Ohio and can represent you if you ever have any legal problems.

As far as ownership goes, if you are legally able to purchase a firearm in Ohio, you are able to purchase an NFA firearm, not withstanding any local ordinance against possession of NFA firearms. The requirement that the CLEO has to sign off is gone, although a notification is necessary (Google "BATFE Form 4" and look at the end where they sign).

You may not transfer an NFA firearm for anyone, it has to be purchased by them and they have to be legally able to receive it (i.e., 21 years old, legally able to purchase a firearm, able to own an NFA firearm in their town/municipality). You can name a minor in your trust, however, they are not eligible to take possession of the firearm until they reach the age of 21, provided that they are not disqualified from owning an NFA firearm.

Trusts are good tools to determine disposition of your firearms in the event that you die or become unable to maintain possession (i.e., you're convicted of an offense that disqualifies you), however, they now come with a requirement that all persons who are named as trustees or responsible persons have to submit to fingerprinting (which is one of the original benefits of the trust which has disappeared).

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]