Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Would anyone recomend the Glock 26?
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 am
I am thinking of buying the gun for my mother since she has smaller hands and some people call it the baby glock so I am curious if it will be a good choice since she needs some form of protection.
Post subject: Re: Would anyone recomend the Glock 26?
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:51 am
I helped buy one for a female cop to be used as her BUG.(Christmas present)
She likes it.
Does this help?

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 am
Welcome. Borrow or rent one at the range for her to try. Make sure she can rack the slide to load it, clear malfunctions, etc. See how it compares to the S&W M&P Compact and Shield in both feel and operation for her, if possible.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:33 am
Alias:

Welcome aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory. It's also somewhat sleep-inducing. Don't go past about the third page unless you're into agony. I should have cut that thing off, but we were having fun :D....

About your question: I don't believe in Glocks ( :) ), but if you must, it's a good choice. The S&W Shield (9mm) may be a good choice, too. Avoid the .40 Shield - nothing at all wrong with the gun (I'm wearing one right now.) But the various "full power" .40's may be a bit too much for your mom. IMHO, the 9mm would be more comfortable. Same, I think, goes for Glock.

The S&W "M&P" series guns - the M&P9 and 9C - are fine choices, too, IMHO, but carrying the full size versions is a little iffy for smaller people. 'Bout the only difference is that the .40's are a lot easier to shoot than the .40 Shield.

Stay away from the Kel-Tec's.... I have a P3-AT, which is a very tiny .380. For a good couple of years, I was never able to get a full magazine through it. Something would break, or I'd just give up due to the pain. OTOH, my daughter's buddy has a 9mm Kel-Tec that's been 100% for him, and is fairly comfortable to shoot.

Gun stores like to sell super-lightweight .38's or .357's. They carry fairly well, and are very small. But DO NOT try to use them in .357 Magnum, or +P loads. You only have to try that once.... For Self Defense, an ordinary .38Spl round is quite sufficient, IMHO.

If you can find a .44Spl wheelgun (don't even think about .44Magnum for her!), they're as good as a .38Spl, and only slightly tougher to shoot.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:09 am
The Glock 26 grip is similar to the Glock 19 and 17. Circumference is the same. It's just shorter horizontal and vertical but still the same thickness.

The Shield is thinner (and on sale at Fin Feather & Fur! Cheaper than LE price).

Have her hold them both if you can and see if she can work them before buying one.

My mom is 64 and has no issues with my gen2 Glock 19. She likes it so much she won't give it back to me. My exwife has my gen4 19 and I haven't asked for it back either.

My issued weapon is a gen4 31 and I edc my 32 and 33.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:57 am
I have and occasionally carry a Gen 4, 26. Its a great gun. S&W makes decent guns too but I prefer Glock's, so each to their own. I'd agree with others that you take her to a LGS and see how each feels in her hand and {IF} she can rack the slide. Gen 3's seem to rack easier due to a slightly softer recoil spring.

If she is looking for home protection I would suggest a larger frame hand gun, like a 19 or even a 17. Both of those have more weight, to control recoil more efficiently and have longer grips. The 26, 42 and 43 are easier to conceal, all have shorter grips which can make them more difficult to control so that should be a factor in your consideration.

I am of the belief that one should carry the largest gun possible. My EDC is a 19. It has more ammo capacity, longer grip for more control and a longer sight radius. Get a good holster and it carries as easily as a 26 or smaller gun. Check out Shark Tac holsters, made right here in Ohio. I have no affiliation with them but they are one of the best holsters out there IMHO.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:38 pm
I would recommend them and so does my brother, a federal probation officer. It's his duty weapon. It's a very reliable firearm.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]