Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:22 am
just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with or owns any of the sccy brand pistols I have been seeing them advertised in many gun magazines and the price is cheap and the warranty they offer looks very good, so I am just wondering what your thoughts on them are if you have one or any experience with one.

M&M
Post subject: Re: sccy pistols
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:57 pm
No first hand experience with them but from what I see/hear/read you have a maybe 50% chance of getting one that works from the get-go and continues to over time and use. For me those numbers don't add up to buying any for protective use.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:52 am
I would put them in the same category as High Point... they're for people that can't afford a gun.

SCCY and High Point are inexpensive knock-offs of higher end striker fired pistols. They're very accurate if you have a good throwing arm.

As for High Point: they're made in Ohio and are favored by criminals because if they are bought new in Ohio, and the dealer bought them from High Point, they don't fall under federal jurisdiction (Gun Nexus laws) because they never left the state. Therefore federal charges can't be pressed for commission of a crime with these guns.

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:57 am
Uncle Duke wrote:
I would put them in the same category as High Point... they're for people that can't afford a gun.

I'd put them a step or two above Hi-Point, personally.

Uncle Duke wrote:
SCCY and High Point are inexpensive knock-offs of higher end striker fired pistols.

You mean like Ruger? Oh, hang on, they made knock-off copies of *lower* end pistols, my mistake... lol

And although that might be true of some of SCCY's models, it isn't the case with Hi-Point. I actually think Hi-Point would be better if they did steal someone else's design.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:38 pm
I have both the Hi-point C-9 And the Sccy 9MM both shoot fine and are very accurate, used the Hi-point for my CHL, use the SCCY for EDC but do change out with one of my other guns from time to time.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:09 pm
By the way, does anyone know what "SCCY" stands for, if anything?

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves". - Edward R. Murrow
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 pm
We have had a few SCCY handguns in classes over the years. Only one did not experience issues. Part way through classes all but one had several malfunctions. Primarily, failure to feed and fail to fire (light primer hits).

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:48 pm
ApexShootingTactics wrote:
We have had a few SCCY handguns in classes over the years. Only one did not experience issues. Part way through classes all but one had several malfunctions. Primarily, failure to feed and fail to fire (light primer hits).

Do you recall if those malfunctions were primarily due to parts failures, build up of residue / fouling from a high round count / long intervals between cleaning, environmental issues (dirt / mud, etc.)? Just curious, some causes would be more concerning than others in a civilian carry piece.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm
JustaShooter wrote:
ApexShootingTactics wrote:

Do you recall if those malfunctions were primarily due to parts failures, build up of residue / fouling from a high round count / long intervals between cleaning, environmental issues (dirt / mud, etc.)? Just curious, some causes would be more concerning than others in a civilian carry piece.

Sorry, I just saw this question. My professional opinion is they are made with substandard materials and can't with stand regular use.

Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics
Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:13 am
I've seen some SCCY handguns come through the class over the years also...never seen a malfunction with any of them. With saying that I still wouldn't recommend buying one for your edc when you can buy good guns for a mere
$50 more!

NRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]