Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post subject: IWB holster recommendations
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 am
I have steered away from IWB holsters because I feel they seem uncomfortable. I need a recommendation for an IWB holster for a Glock 27 Gen 4. Tired of "printing" Thanks!

- Tim

Sig Sauer P226R . 40 (Duty gun)
Glock 27 Gen4 .40 (Backup/CCW gun)
Glock 26 Gen4 9mm (Wife's gun)
Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post subject: Re: IWB holster recommendations
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:46 am
My IWB is a leather Blackhawk, my gun a G-23. I use a thick leather 1-1/2" belt but I'm planning to upgrade to a steel core gun belt.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 pm
Check out Hidden Hybrid Holsters. They are the best IWB hybrid holster I've used or handled. Much better materials and workmanship than Alien Gear, Old Faithful, Crossbreed, etc. Also, they are made in NE Ohio from locally sourced materials - if you happen to be near Canton, you can check them out in person (and compare to the competitors holsters they've collected) at their retail store Stark Arms at 3666 Cleveland Ave S.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm
been using N82tactical for a few years now and I find mine to be very comfortable

M&M
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:31 am
Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming. I just dont want to waste money by trial and error to find a comfortable IWB holster.

- Tim

Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:45 am
In leather I've had good luck with the above-mentioned Blackhawk model. With kydex I've tried several brands now with varied success.

Regardless of material I must have two things:

1) Loops that go all the way around the belt and snap in place, or VERY good clips that don't just barely hook over or under the belt. The rig ain't supposed to EVER come off still holding the gun inside during a draw. Funny at the range, you dead in real life.

2) A reinforced mouth at the top, so that one handed re-holstering is possible. Get a rig that doesn't allow that, guess what? You won't practice with it like you ought to because re-holstering after the draw is too much hassle. Yes I underlined that for good reason, I've observed this with folks way too many times to count.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:17 pm
Brian D. wrote:
In leather I've had good luck with the above-mentioned Blackhawk model. With kydex I've tried several brands now with varied success.

Regardless of material I must have two things:

1) Loops that go all the way around the belt and snap in place, or VERY good clips that don't just barely hook over or under the belt. The rig ain't supposed to EVER come off still holding the gun inside during a draw. Funny at the range, you dead in real life.

2) A reinforced mouth at the top, so that one handed re-holstering is possible. Get a rig that doesn't allow that, guess what? You won't practice with it like you ought to because re-holstering after the draw is too much hassle. Yes I underlined that for good reason, I've observed this with folks way too many times to count.

So which do you suggest?? Links?

- Tim

Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:29 am
I like some of the Blade tech IWB offerings but not all of them. It's an individual thing.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:17 am
Ok. No one ever likes it when I suggest these because they say it's too much work.
It's the Raven Vanguard 2. They're out of North Ridgeville.

Ambidextrous. I can switch it from left hand or right hand draw. Minimalist design. Secure. Fits most Glocks. I use them with my 31/32/33/21. Yes you read that right. It fits the 21 also.

My daily setup. Glock 32 and 33. It's comfy and conceals well. I'm eventually going to replace these with twin Glock 32 gen4 if they don't offer a fingergrooveless model at SHOT SHOW 2017.

Here's the part people hate. If you draw, it is not easy or fast to reholster. It takes TWO hands to safely reholster. It's easier for me to unclip it from the belt, lock it to gun then reclip it to my belt. But if I draw my gun for any reason I won't be reholstering till it's safe so I have time to do it safely.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:56 am
chowser51 wrote:
Here's the part people hate. If you draw, it is not easy or fast to reholster. It takes TWO hands to safely reholster. It's easier for me to unclip it from the belt, lock it to gun then reclip it to my belt. But if I draw my gun for any reason I won't be reholstering till it's safe so I have time to do it safely.

No offense intended, carry as you see fit. But don't expect to be allowed to use a rig like that at matches or in training classes. Even practicing on your own, how many draws/re-holsters are you going to find time and patience for?

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:15 pm
Didn't know this was for training or comps. I use owb stuff for that.
I thought OP was asking about not printing.
For maximum concealment when carrying I use the Ravens. I don't plan on reholstering if I'm in a shooting off duty. More than likely I will be placing my gun on the ground with putting my hands up once the cops show up.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:13 pm
chowser51 wrote:
Didn't know this was for training or comps. I use owb stuff for that.

To Brian's point, if you aren't training and practicing with the gear you actually carry & use, you aren't doing it right.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:24 pm
Yeah but one can practice draw and re holster with an empty gun, in fact using an IWB and Glock that's my choice.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 pm
petergunn wrote:
Yeah but one can practice draw and re holster with an empty gun, in fact using an IWB and Glock that's my choice.

It's not that all IWB rigs make that impossible or even particularly difficult. But if they collapse when the gun is drawn, it certainly makes re-holstering a pain, and perhaps even unsafe, if your support hand is needed to manually hold open the top of the rig. That tends to put said hand in the perfect place for nuzzle sweeping. I want to be able to re-holster with one hand, whether it's with a loaded or (thrice checked) empty gun during dry fire and such away from the range. Really don't favor doing things differently from session to session.

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:36 pm
the reason I chose the blackhawk is because it has a reinforcing strip at the opening but I'm still inclined to remove the holster insert gun(loaded) then clip it back on.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next