Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Displaying firearm in your home
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:43 pm
I have googled this up and down and can't find anything regarding laws in Ohio. Some states it would be considered improper exhibition. Can I keep a functional Coach Gun on the mantle above the fireplace? I live by myself.

Thanks.
Post subject: Re: Displaying firearm in your home
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm
I'd even keep it loaded!
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm
I'm not aware of any law in Ohio that would make that illegal.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 am
greyeyezz:

Unless your house/apartment/condo is seriously secure, I think I'd avoid the "loaded" part. Just too much risk that somebody might want to play with it.

IMHO/IANAL, the little old ladies living next door may have bigger problems with it, but I doubt if that'd really mean anything if you don't have a condo association, or deed restrictions.

I almost bought one a long time ago, but it was a non-anything replica. The wife (I was still single then) would have found an excuse to toss it. She's not happy with the expensive real stuff that I keep locked up....

The "rule" is to display the junk, preferably inoperative, and hide the good stuff. Confuses the criminally inclined, unless they're well into this stuff.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 am
I know of no law that would prevent you from displaying a gun of any sort over the fireplace. Personally, I would not keep a wall-hanger loaded. I've had a Kentucky rifle over my fireplace for many years. It's the only gun displayed in my house. The only loaded gun would be the one I'm carrying. All others are in a safe.

AKA 1av8r
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm
I have yet to see the mantle above the fireplace at any Cracker Barrel restaurant that DIDN'T have an old Damascus type shotgun sitting there.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:22 pm
pz0r56 wrote:
I know of no law that would prevent you from displaying a gun of any sort over the fireplace. Personally, I would not keep a wall-hanger loaded. I've had a Kentucky rifle over my fireplace for many years. It's the only gun displayed in my house. The only loaded gun would be the one I'm carrying. All others are in a safe.

pz0r56:

(How the heck do you pronounce that? :D. I got the AKA, though.)

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing. Just some idea how this place works and who's here. Don't try to get past the first couple pages....

Enjoy!

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm
Brian:

That's more or less what I was looking at. I briefly worked at a furniture store back in the 70's, and there were a couple on the wall. As well as a nice sofa that I really wanted until I found out it was $800.... In those days, you could display merchandise on Sunday, but not sell it. I was there in my blue suit to keep people from buying anything! I made a few bucks, but it was silly.

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:38 pm
Quote:
The "rule" is to display the junk, preferably inoperative, and hide the good stuff.

I guess I could rule out my Rossi as junk. :lol:

Was thinking of loading it up but don't want to hand a burglar 2 rounds of 00 buck, not good.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:24 am
I too know of no law stating illegal to openly display any firearm,(legal weapon of course) but
I've always felt it's not to wise to advertise you have any guns or anything of any value to people you don't know, don't trust, don't like, ect. ect. Why invite trouble? But what do I know?
I'M old school.

BTW greyeyezz that Rossi may not be John Wayne's "Greener" But it is fun to play with.

So Mote It Be.
Aging is not for the timid
NRA Benefactor Member
Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:50 pm
I was working on a gun display for all my past duty guns and decided it wasn't worth putting actual working guns on display. There's no law against it. It's your house.

I do have functional swords above the fireplace.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:50 am
It's your house of course but I wouldn't put a working piece over my fireplace. Especially if it is supposed to be loaded :D I'm not an expert but I don't think there is any law in OH that prohibits you from doing so anyway.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:14 am
Glocker:

Welcome Aboard! Don't know how I missed you.... (Or did I? :))

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that may be worth a look, but it's not mandatory.

I'm surprised we don't have a mountain of laws against displaying a loaded firearm (on the wall, for example), but it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I sure wouldn't try that. Might be some local laws in the act, though. Unloaded or inoperative, though, shouldn't be a problem in OH and most other civilized states, but I think most of us would agree to not display 'em.

That's where you put the fish, or a big ugly clock. I have one of the latter. No idea how old it might be, etc. Came with the house. (My parents built the place in 1960, and my wife and I moved in here to help take care of mom in 2009. She, meantime, decided to "Winter" in El Paso, and never came back. I think it was my cooking....)

Regards,

Stu

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]