Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 am
As a new member, I have taken some time to read through many of the posts, and make some searches. There are many posts that mention shooting ranges, but no state wide list, like the “Ohio Gun Show Listings”. Or, did I miss something?

If not, may I suggest we start such a list?

Veni, Vidi, V8
Post subject: Re: Places to shoot
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:39 am
there's a list on the website, but it's not all inclusive.. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/weblinks/19

good idea, ..could get messy w/ folks adding stuff, duplicates, etc.. , i wonder if there'd be a way to have someone take inputs and create a list that could be displayed in google maps or something, could have folks post info about the range they go to (geocoords, name, description, phone#, etc).??? - i'm sure i've seen this somewhere before on teaparty sites..

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Ohioans for Concealed Carry
Oregon Firearms Federation
Maryland Shall Issue
Colorado Second Amendment Assoc
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 am
Here's a google map I made of ranges around the Akron area.

http://tiny.cc/1NCkv

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm
PX4_Storm wrote:
Here's a google map I made of ranges around the Akron area.

http://tiny.cc/1NCkv

now that's what i'm talking about.. 8) we could start a thread somewhere (not sure which forum is most relevant: instructors/training/events?), tack it up as a sticky. put map on first post, and let people post replies w/ info about ranges in their local area. only thing is would require one person (PX4Storm?, or equiv.) to update the map.

another thing would be to embed the map on the BFA website somewhere - i'd think that would be really helpful, and more easily seen by people who come to the homepage for general info but don't participate on the forums...

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Maryland Shall Issue
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm
While we're on the topic . . .

Do any of these ranges have decent transports? The ones I know of have the target clip attached to a line of some sort. When you reel out the target it bounces around like a rubber ball for five minutes, and occasionally hops when your rounds hit it. It's very unnerving.

So whose got good transports, like the digitally controlled ones with a slider attached to a rail? Thanks for your responses.

Greg in Hinckley

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves". - Edward R. Murrow
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm
PX4, That map is great! Far more sophisticated than what I envisioned.

Wiley, how do we get this started? A Sticky? What can I do to help

Veni, Vidi, V8
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:32 pm
morbius wrote:

Do any of these ranges have decent transports? The ones I know of have the target clip attached to a line of some sort. When you reel out the target it bounces around like a rubber ball for five minutes, and occasionally hops when your rounds hit it. It's very unnerving.

So whose got good transports, like the digitally controlled ones with a slider attached to a rail? Thanks for your responses.

Greg in Hinckley

Morbius,
:lol: :lol:

I know exactly what you mean! At the Akron Indoor Shooting range the transports are clothes line and they droop real bad in the center. When you send the target out it rocks back and forth for 3 or 4 minutes! I can laugh about it now but when I'm there it's really annoying! I think it is good for their bottom line because you have to burn minutes waiting for it to stop!

I figure it is practice at hitting a moving target!! 8)

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:59 pm
morbius wrote:

Greg in Hinckley

Greg,
The place I hosted the northeast ohio meet and greet.....Atwell's has great solid transports.

John
Army Vet
NRA Life,NRA RSO,NRA Instructor/Ohio CHL,BFA MOD,Glock Armorer
Lots of Glocks

They can come for my guns but I will give them my bullets

If you can read this thank a teacher
Because it is in english thank a vet!
Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 am
Awesome guys, please continue to ad to it, I have made this sticky, if you mods want to move or change it, have it it.

If People do their best what else is there?
Patton.

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garmet, and buy one
Luke 22:36
Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:02 am
i wonder if we can get a relatively thorough map together and embed it (so interactive zoom/pan is permitted) somewhere on the BFA website (___.org), and maybe a new link on the homepage "places to shoot", or something like that; then it could be found by anyone visiting the site.. i think this can be done w/ <iframe> tags, ..we could then still have a dedicated forum thread for it, but it's purpose would probably be best suited for posters to suggest additions to what's displayed (i.e. missing ranges, updates on phone #, geocoords, etc.)

i think there are ways of customizing the symbology for the markers, and could have different ones for "training facilities", "outdoor ranges", "indoor ranges", "sporting club", ... yadayada

flame away! 8)

NRA Endowment
GOA Life
SAF Life
Buckeye Firearms Assoc
Maryland Shall Issue
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:05 pm
For Indoor I like New Albany (Aim-Hi), good transports

Powder Room (Powell) isn't bad

Ohio Valley in Lancaster is awesome, you can even shoot muzzle loaders!

I shoot outside at the Centerburg Conservation Club, rain sleet or snow. Makes for more realistic tactical exercises. No transports there but we do have target frames built in one area. If you aren't using those there are real estate signs you can put targets on at whatever distance. I use metal T-posts about 10 feet apart, tie a clothes line to it and hang multiple targets (usually 8 or so) with clothes pins. If it's windy, i put the paper targets on cardboard and run a second clothes line to clip on the bottoms of the targets (If I do it right they don't move and it takes about 3 minutes to set up and is portable, I just throw it all in the van when I'm done). That whole set-up cost me about 10 bucks and works great for me.

Some folks at the club bring fancy target holders, others just throw a tin can down-range and shoot at it!

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm
I shoot in the basement on occasion. No I am not a nut case. Yes it is legal in my city. But my main facility is the Dillon Sportsmen Center located right next to Dillon Reservoir. It is an outdoor range.

http://www.llrpc.com/Dillon/Dillon.html

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:59 pm
Here is a pretty extensive list:
http://www.e-gun.net/local.asp?searchTy ... opState=OH

These are DNR sanctioned ranges:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_re ... fault.aspx

I could probably build something interactive with any one of the map sites like google maps, yahoo maps etc. It would be pretty time consuming though. I'd hate to start it and not finish it. Due to the lack luster enthusiasm of responses to this thread I decided to put the idea on hold for the time being. But it could be done.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Surfin the web today and found this place. Looks promising, just needs some user input to get more places on the map.
http://rangelistings.com/
Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:17 pm
Buckeye Dan wrote:
I shoot in the basement on occasion. No I am not a nut case. Yes it is legal in my city.

I know a guy in Grafton Township who was building his new house. He buried a large diameter concrete drain pipe (24" maybe?) starting at his basement wall, going about 50 feet out. His basement wall has a big hole in it where he can shoot year round. The end of it is also accessible from out in the yard. Pretty cool. :-)

--
NRA Life Member
 Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next