Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:21 am
Buffalo Trading Post, Findlay, OH. New store, very cool with good staff. Indoor range should now be open. And rumor has it, if you buy the ammo there you can use the range for free.
Post subject: Re: Places to shoot
Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 pm
on west side of cleveland there are 3 places i have visited other then my backyard.......Hickory Ridge in Brunswick Ohio-decent spot but always crowded and horrible climate control in cold weather. B&T Range in Elyria, Ohio-great staff, small range (7 stalls) and double the price on weekends. Stonewall shooting suplies in North Royalton, Ohio - Amazing facility with many stalls, couches, tvs, huge supply of guns/ammo but the employees are complete STAINS. horrible service, inappropriate jokes, just complete rude meatheads...they lost my business due to that.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating
Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:55 am
When I was in the area and even when I went back to visit, I did a fair bit of shooting at Target World. Now I spend a lot of time at Midwest Gun Club. I liked Target World because it had so many lanes, but all the folks at Midwest Gun Club know me and the wife and are always friendly, more than happy to answer any questions and just great all around.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:57 pm
Hi everyone. New to this forum so I hope I'm not duplicating any previously posted info.

Try http://www.wheretoshoot.org managed by NSSF for the U.S. and Canada. It provides a state-by-state directory range directory. Great resource! Also available as a free app for iPhones and Androids (search your app store for NSSF, find a range, or where to shoot). You can search for ranges near you, by state, or by zip code (up to 120 mile radius). NSSF member appear in bold at the top of the list, followed by the others.

Pick one from the list and you get phone/email/web links along with info regarding the range -- public, private, indoor, outdoor, access, types of firearms allowed, etc.

And for you hunters out there.... http://www.wheretohunt.org for hunting information for every states.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:25 pm
Lil_Sis:

Welcome aboard!

I think I've seen references to those sites before, but at my age, it it's not written on the insides of my eyelids, I tend to forget :mrgreen: .... Thanks for the links, though.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory, and may be sleep inducing. At least you'll find out who the little dog in my avatar is.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:04 pm
Tom Sarver runs Thunder Valley in Kimbolton, Ohio (Guernsey County) and has a long distance range of nearly a mile (I think it's a couple hundred yards short of a mile). I haven't been there yet, but I have talked to him and plan to go in the Spring to shoot my Barrett. I'm looking for other ranges that are closer that will allow me to shoot a .50BMG.

The ranges where I shoot, both indoor and outside that allow pistols and rifles include KC's Gun Club in Lawrence Twp (near Canal Fulton) and Pro-Armament in Cuyahoga Falls. KC's is run by Dan Cleavenger, an OPTOC instructor who conducts CCW classes at Pro-Armament. $30 flat fee.

Pro-Armament is one of the few indoor ranges that allows rifles. No armor piercing, no incendiary, and no shotguns (they foul up their water recovery system).

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:26 pm
Uncle Duke, have you checked out Tusco Rifle Club? It is about 30 miles farther north in Midvale, and allows .50BMG, I see them up on the 300 yard range upon occasion and I imagine they would be allowed on the other ranges as well. The longest range they have is only about 600 yards though, and they do require a membership. But something to consider.

Also, are you sure about the $30 class? Dan used to charge $150 for his classes, if he's dropped it that much I wonder why...

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 am
JustaShooter wrote:
Uncle Duke, have you checked out Tusco Rifle Club? It is about 30 miles farther north in Midvale, and allows .50BMG, I see them up on the 300 yard range upon occasion and I imagine they would be allowed on the other ranges as well. The longest range they have is only about 600 yards though, and they do require a membership. But something to consider.

Also, are you sure about the $30 class? Dan used to charge $150 for his classes, if he's dropped it that much I wonder why...

Sorry about the misinterpretation. Dan charges $30 for range time just to shoot (not part of his classes). He still charges $150 for his classes, which I think is money well spent. I'm not going to put down any instructors (especially NRA instructors) because there are a large number of them that are extremely knowledgeable and good at what they do. Under ORC, they have had to use a lawyer to present information on the laws regarding CCW and ramifications of involvement in shootings if they aren't a sworn law enforcement officer. Having the experienced law enforcement officer who has been involved in a shooting or shootings adds a perspective that most instructors don't have.

Additionally, there are a lot of instructors who will charge $50 for instruction in their home and maybe some range time. Anything under $100 raises red flags for me. A couple of years ago an instructor in Summit County ended up going to prison for falsifying certificates which claimed that they met the 12 hour requirement and everyone who went through his courses lost their CHL or were unable to renew them.

Thanks for the info on Tusco. I'll check it out soon. I have to testify in crinminal court down there this week.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
Pro-Armament is one of the few indoor ranges that allows rifles. No armor piercing, no incendiary, and no shotguns (they foul up their water recovery system).

Point Blank in Mentor as well as Sherwin in Eastlake (and their Geauga County branch, First Strike) also allow rifles up to 7.62/.308, and both allow buckshot/birdshot for shotguns. Same with Stonewall and Select Fire Training Center.

Sherwin and First Strike's distances are pretty short - neither will be able to give even a 25-yard zero on a 5.56/.223 AR carbine.

Stonewall had a silly single-shot only rule with box-mag fed 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308s, but I haven't been there in a long while and do not know if that rule still stands.

Ammo restrictions with regard to armor piercing/steel-core and incendiary still apply, of-course.

-Allen
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 pm
TSiWRX wrote:
Uncle Duke wrote:

Point Blank in Mentor as well as Sherwin in Eastlake (and their Geauga County branch, First Strike) also allow rifles up to 7.62/.308, and both allow buckshot/birdshot for shotguns. Same with Stonewall and Select Fire Training Center.

Sherwin and First Strike's distances are pretty short - neither will be able to give even a 25-yard zero on a 5.56/.223 AR carbine.

Stonewall had a silly single-shot only rule with box-mag fed 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308s, but I haven't been there in a long while and do not know if that rule still stands.

Ammo restrictions with regard to armor piercing/steel-core and incendiary still apply, of-course.

I live very close to The Marksman in Barberton (formerly known as the Deer Hunter). In my experience the staff has an attitude and could really care less about waiting on you unless you're either a friend or relative or a girlfriend of one of the former.Limited selection of ammunition available for sale and poor climate control are the "Icing on the cake" for me. I've been there in the winter and the range is bitter cold and I've been there in warmer times and it's been beastly hot. The ventilation sucks and by the time you're done shooting you're ready for chelation therapy to get rid of the lead from your system or file for disability, which seems strange given the fact that you can hear their exhaust fans running away like Howard Hughes is Spruce Goose when you pull in the parking lot.

They seem to be more invested in their indoor archery range (which seems pretty scary to me because people are shooting arrows out in the open and what seems to be a large open space that is separated from the area used by the general public only by the presence of orange safety cones. Oh, yeah I almost forgot no more rifles or shotguns.

NRA Life Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

Sorry about the misinterpretation. Dan charges $30 for range time just to shoot (not part of his classes). He still charges $150 for his classes, which I think is money well spent. I'm not going to put down any instructors (especially NRA instructors) because there are a large number of them that are extremely knowledgeable and good at what they do.

No worries, and I don't have any beef with Dan. He seems to do a creditable job, but if he had reduced the cost of his class that much I'd be wondering why (and making my own inquiries, both from Dan and mutual acquaintances).

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:25 am
Uncle Duke wrote:
I live very close to The Marksman in Barberton (formerly known as the Deer Hunter). In my experience the staff has an attitude and could really care less about waiting on you unless you're either a friend or relative or a girlfriend of one of the former.Limited selection of ammunition available for sale and poor climate control are the "Icing on the cake" for me. I've been there in the winter and the range is bitter cold and I've been there in warmer times and it's been beastly hot. The ventilation sucks and by the time you're done shooting you're ready for chelation therapy to get rid of the lead from your system or file for disability, which seems strange given the fact that you can hear their exhaust fans running away like Howard Hughes is Spruce Goose when you pull in the parking lot.

They seem to be more invested in their indoor archery range (which seems pretty scary to me because people are shooting arrows out in the open and what seems to be a large open space that is separated from the area used by the general public only by the presence of orange safety cones. Oh, yeah I almost forgot no more rifles or shotguns.

I've only been to The Marksman as a part of an instructor-led class (Chris Cerino's "Marksmanship Enhancement Clinics" in the winter of 2012), so I really have had no interaction with the staff there.

We were forward of the line for most of the class instruction, and it's definitely colder in there than some of the other indoor ranges I've been to in the area (those listed above, plus a few more, including Pro Armament) - nevertheless, I do not believe that they are that outside the bell-curve, either: Stonewall and Sherwin also get plenty cold (I typically shoot in just my T-shirt). I've never been inside The Marksman during the summer...then again, for me, that can be said of pretty much all indoor venues during the summer months, when I typically take outdoor classes.

As for ventilation, my opinion is undoubtedly distorted by the fact that I was in a low-round-count class along with only a few other shooters.

Locally, I think Select Fire and Point Blank I have the best air-handling and HVAC. If you're looking for somewhere really warm for the winter months, the Gray's Armory range in downtown Cleveland usually has me sweating (again, in just a T-shirt) by the second hour of classes. :lol:

-Allen
Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:49 pm
CenterMass wrote:
I had a friend of mine the took some 357 brass and modified to accept shotgun primers. Then he would shoot paraffin wax bullets in his basement. He had a dryer vent with a computer type fan 120mm connect to the dryer hose to pull the powder smell out of the basement.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

~ Mark Twain
Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 pm
i was just told of an organization called "lagrange hunt club" by a customer i did work for

currently i am not able to find and contact info for this group

any help would be appreciated

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:24 am
I practice target shooting with my Glock 17 handgun in my basement. However, the sound of shooting is too loud. I want an ear plug so that I may not damage my hearing.

Get firearms safety training online from an NRA certified school.
MA Gun License
 Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next