Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Serial Rapists/Home Invasions! Advice on securing your home?
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:21 pm
Serial Rapists/Home Invasions oh my! Advice on securing your home.

With concerns of the serial rapist and home invasions skyrocketing is anyone concerned or more aware of their homes security

What steps have you taken or would you suggest to others to make your home more resistant to unauthorized entry?
Site Admin
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 pm
In bad weather, when the doors and windows are closed, they are locked. In nicer weather with windows and doors open, we have a Jack Russell early warning system. Mitch would give us enough advance warning to dive across whatever room we are in to secure (at least) a handgun, since there is SOMETHING in every room. Downside is that a 45ACP or a 41 mag is a little overkill on the occasional squirrel that Mitch warns off the property.

We live in a rural area and neighbors, even without an official Neighborhood Watch program, kind of keep our eyes open for each other.

While we do often lapse into condition white, we try to keep an ear cocked and can go to yellow or higher pretty quickly.

Common sense measures of using locks, a little dog that makes LOTS of noise, cooperation and situational awareness is what we use for now. Maybe later we may have to move to electronics, but what we have now works pretty well.

Would be interested in hearing from other rural folks.

I can do ALL THINGS through Him who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13

Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum
Post subject:
Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:46 pm
Dogs are the best, they hear and sense things we cannot. I have a yellow lab that will warn you of anything of interest.

I had ADT installed (I won it at a health and safety fair at work) and love it.

The doors and windows stay locked at all times, people think I'm a little strange when they try to leave my house and try to open the door and it's locked. If my 6yr old son is the last one in or out he will even lock the door behind him.

Lighting at night is a must, motion lights or any kind of lights that keep the area lit up. My neighbors probably hate me. :D

Oh and I almost forgot a red headed wife with a firearm! WATCH OUT!!!

NRA Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Post subject:
Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:05 am
Where I live is very low crime. Up until a couple of years ago, I used to sleep with the doors and windows open. Of course I have a German Shepard wouldn't let anyone in. I'll never live without a big dog in my house..... Since I have kids in the house, I keep my S&W in the gunsafe, but it only takes me 1 or 2 extra seconds to get it out. The GSD should keep the bad guys busy until then. Like Skip said situational awareness is important. And stayig condition yellow as much as possible.
CW
Post subject:
Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:12 am
I also live in a rural setting...my dog is outside in a kennel, and wakes me up every time the deer or a cat comes walking through the yard. Contemplating a little ankle biter for in the house as well, never wanted a dog that didn't hunt for me though... :roll:

Couple .45's in the bedroom when we sleep...think I'm gonna move the 12 ga. tactical folder up to the bedroom with the recent home invasions over in Newark.

Doors are locked (nowa days) have contemplated an electronic system for a while now. Motion detector lights go a long way to deterring unauthorized night time activities. I have one that covers the area between my back door and the garage.

Guns/valuables are in a 52 gun, fireproof safe.

Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths

James Madison,,
Federalist Paper No 10
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]