Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Road rage murder or self defense?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:35 am
Road rage murder: Cop with wife, 3 young kids in car, kills in road rage episode

Quote:
The road rage murder with a .45 Glock pistol by 40-year-old police officer Joseph Walker is prompting Maryland State Police to ask the public for help. Joseph Walker is a father of three children under the age of seven and family members, neighbors, and authorities are puzzled as to what might have led to the road rage murder that ended with 36-year-old Joseph Harvey Jr. of Halethorpe, Md., dead and 40-year-old Joseph Walker charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter, reported the Burlington County Times on June 9, 2013.

Get out the popcorn. This one's going to be interesting. MD vs. NJ

Just reading the story as written.
1. It sounds like the car Harvey was in failed to yield right of way while entering I-97.
2. Did Walker feel he and his family were in danger from the two men approaching their car?
3. What makes this a road rage incident? Who was raging?

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post subject: Re: Road rage murder or self defense?
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:59 pm
That link has no details, they're just reporting on another article (which they link to): http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/hamp ... 71e1b.html

Not much to go on.
Sounds like the cars had some sort of collision which prompted them both to pull over.

Why the shooting happen I don't know.
Maybe it was a misunderstanding, maybe he thought they bumped him to get him to pull over and when they approached he thought they was gonna hurt him and his family, Im just speculating.
There is precious little detail in either article.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:08 pm
This is going to get really interesting....

The East Coast LE community has a history of ignoring all but the most egregious offenses by LEO's from other PD's, but this one may be hard to sweep under the rug. (If Harvey was not Black, that's a major problem, too.)

The only question is whether Walker thought that Harvey was attempting to attack him and his family as they approached Walker. Pipes, guns, ?.

This won't do his career any good....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 pm
Here in MD there is no other info than already posted. It has sparked rather heated discussion on a MD forum between LEOs and others... In my eyes it its an all around horrible happening and I will be awaiting more info before opining.

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 am
The NJ newspaper version reports the same "facts" in a somewhat different light but doesn't mention the vehicles "contacting".
N.J. police detective charged with murder in Maryland 'road rage' shooting

I'm just wondering if the Maryland prosecutor charged him to keep him from leaving the state while things were being sorted out to save having to extradite him at a later date.
The first story said he was charged with murder AND manslaughter. Shouldn't that be an either/or situation?

OBTW: Unlike most reports of LEO involved shootings, this guy actually seems to be a good shot. Three rounds expended (I think), three holes in the intended (I think) target.

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/def ... story.html

Similar story to Alan's...

It is from Walker's defense, but paints a much more "self defense-ish" scenario.

-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm
this will be yet another story where we will never get any of the actual facts .
but personaly i smell a combination of road rage and i have a badge and a gun coming into play .... but this is my own biased opinion based on no actual facts .
i dont think anyone without a chip on their shoulder lets someone walk up on them from 150 ft away while in fear of their own and their family's personal safety ...
it would have been entirely to easy to either just pull back into traffic or put the car in reverse and beck the heck up .... but again my opinion is just that an opinion .

but this story does feed into my own personal belief that continues to be proven by law enforcements actions everywhere that we are far more likly to have a need to defend ourselves against a leo type with a poor attitude then a criminal .... dang my tinfoil hat is getting tight
Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3405800

Going for the throat with first degree murder. I do not see that sticking...

-Matt

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]