Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Home Invasion - Stolen Pistol help ?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 am
Hi Guys, first off nice to have the site back, unfortunately this has to be my first post since the site is back up.

My dad's house has been broken into 3 times this year, and the people responsible are getting bolder. Dad's not in good health to the point where this excitement could do him in. Wednesday the crooks got in and looked for medication, took some money, and my dad's Colt Series 80 .380 (we have the serial).

Dad lives in Ross County outside of Frankfort. So far the Sheriff's office hasn't done much. My mother-in-law saw the suspect at one point during an attempted break-in, and they live in a "compound style" place not quite a quarter mile down a lane from my dad's place back in the woods. The suspect has a lengthy record, I'm not sure if he's a felon but almost certain of it.

Any advice, other than to help dad dig in and wait? That was his only pistol, so I stopped and got him some shot shells for the 870.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post subject: Re: Home Invasion - Stolen Pistol help ?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:35 am
RogerD wrote:
Any advice, other than to help dad dig in and wait?

I'd invest in a set of surveilance cameras so the next time (and you know there will be a next time) you can supply the Sheriff with some video of the dirtbags that are doing this to your dad. You should be able to pick up a set without spending too much and it sounds like you probably know where they are likely to be coming into the house so you probably don't need more than a couple of cameras. Place them so that they aren't obvious of course, but if they are getting as bold as it sounds, they may be getting over confident and sloppy as well so you may not have to conceal them particularly well. Still if it isn't too hard to hide them I'd do the best I could to make sure they won't be seen.

Just my $0.02

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am
Cameras are a good choice, i'd actually put them inside the house covering the doors.

that way you can avoid them being seen and get a good picture of htem (close up)

Harbor freight sells some B&W cameras with IR for night time.. they not very good for outdoors not enough to get a good ID at distance and the IR's only good for about 10 yards.

but Indoors they would suffice, but you would need a recording device the old mainstay VCR would work and can be found cheap if not free, get a few 8 hour tapes.

a more expensive approach would be high resolution IP cameras with either a computer or DVR for storage.
(some cameras can even dump directly to external disk)

Tell your dad to keep his 870 with him and loaded, if he leaves unload it and put it in the trunk and take it with him.
the last thing you want to do is have them break in and get yet another gun.

You have to assume anyone breaking in is armed especially now with 3 break in's and 1 stolen gun.

• If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am
RogerD wrote:
Hi Guys, first off nice to have the site back, unfortunately this has to be my first post since the site is back up.

My dad's house has been broken into 3 times this year, and the people responsible are getting bolder. Dad's not in good health to the point where this excitement could do him in. Wednesday the crooks got in and looked for medication, took some money, and my dad's Colt Series 80 .380 (we have the serial).

Dad lives in Ross County outside of Frankfort. So far the Sheriff's office hasn't done much. My mother-in-law saw the suspect at one point during an attempted break-in, and they live in a "compound style" place not quite a quarter mile down a lane from my dad's place back in the woods. The suspect has a lengthy record, I'm not sure if he's a felon but almost certain of it.

Any advice, other than to help dad dig in and wait? That was his only pistol, so I stopped and got him some shot shells for the 870.

Man I hate to hear that. Those type of crimes are becoming more common here in Ross County as they are through out the state. I'm sure you have taken care of this but does he have other protection besides the little Colt that was stolen?

I live about 6 miles from Frankfort and in my area we had two Home invasions last summer. Thankfully both we uneventful and the thief left when the unexpected homeowner suprised them. On a side note our local news rag has never reported about any of these crimes, keeping the good residents of Ross County in the dark about these type of crimes that are pretty regular accurances.

Ranger 230
NRA Patron Member
”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
~Benjamin Franklin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 am
..Very bold indeed, 3 times....

If it were my family I would have to take some time off and try and catch this guy myself....LE can't be around to do the job so I would try for awhile to do it myself......
.....The reason I would is this guy has done this 3 times (if it is the same guy) and I would be afraid this guy would be as bold to confront your Dad the next time and that could be a bad thing..
........Of course I would have some help.....sounds like someone that lives near by doing this and catching him would be just a matter of time........
.......I would not confront but observe him and then call LE.....

Good luck in catching this poor misguided piece of crap...
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm
Thanks for all the input- I had considered one of those game & trail cameras. Dad's a tough customer, but he's in pretty poor shape. He actually Marshalled Frankfort for a couple of years back in the late 70's - early 80's. Then he worked a couple years as a prison guard at CCI.

Some people strive to make their mark on the world. I strive to make my mark on a paper plate.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:15 pm
Did you report the theft and get that serial# into the database?

Thugs are cowards and unfortunately prey on the weak and elderly and they have identified your Dad as an easy target.

What you need is a deterrent either by hardening security or removing their motivation to B&E. Cameras could work as a deterrent if they know they're there but as proof to put them away, if your county is like mine they'll just bond out at 10% and be back again.

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm
I picked up a descent camera system for a reasonable price that has.motion detection and a terabite dvr. You can even keep an eye on it with your smart phone if he has WiFi.
Just have to put the DVR in a place where the thug doesn't walk off with it.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 pm
petergunn wrote:
Did you report the theft and get that serial# into the database?

Yep, it's in.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:44 pm
We were sure who did it all along, and day before yesterday the little bastard put himself in rehab. I wonder what that does to an investigation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]