A time and a place for open carry.

Dedicated to the discussion of criminal activity and uses of firearms in lawful self defense.
Joe Sixpack

Re: A time and a place for open carry.

Post by Joe Sixpack » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Marca, I agree.. it's not a crime.. Just a bad idea..

Just incase the cops get confused.. you don't wanna catch a bullet.. even if it's a mistake it probably still hurts a bit.
  • If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage

ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 am

marca wrote:So the guy is holding a gun while he is standing in his own doorway on his own property? What part of "shall not be infringed" could possibly apply? Just because the cops have itchy trigger fingers does not make them right even if they know they would get away with shooting him.
Not exactly Marca. He walked out to the perimeter where officers were watching for the suspect.

As for cops having the itchy trigger fingers. That is a silly statement. I have been doing force on force training for about 15 years with civilians, cops, military and security contractors. Every class I have been involved in there have been people shot that shouldn't have been shot. Every class starts out with a few bad shoots and some times more than a few but as we go through reps and people trust training and gain experience the bad shoots go away for the most part. It has been my experience that there are two groups that are more likely to shoot the wrong person/people, Civilians with minimal or no training and Military personnel with minimal or no training.

The civilians and military personnel I am talking about just lack training and experience. That is all. After they receive training and know how to scan and assess a threat this diminishes drastically and they fall in with everyone else. Security contractors and active duty Military personnel with combat experience tend to be the best at threat assessment and knowing when to shoot in this training exercises. It simply comes down to these two groups have a lot of experience and have the benefit from learning easier from this mistakes. The deciding factor in this is experience and training. I know cops that are by far the best of anyone at threat assessment because they have tons of experience and training. They have been in the military, served in combat, worked as security contractors and then became cops. Then there is the 19 year old kid that has played paintball, airsoft and 1st person shooter games for the last 10 years and can do threat assessments faster and more efficient than most people ever will.

I will tell you who has the "itchy trigger finger", scared, untrained humans.

Other people that I have noticed do well with threat assessment:
Fire Fighters, EMTs and other medical personnel- They tend to scan people on a daily basis and pick up on weapons being held by a threat.
Pilots, Engineers, and hard core hunters- They are detail orientated people.
Stay Safe, Andrew

To whom much is given much is expected

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

ThawMyTongue

Post by ThawMyTongue » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:22 pm

There's a Bible verse which I think can be applied to this situation:

1 Corintians 10:23
"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify."

Tact and common sense need to be taken seriously. Running into a common area already secured by police while brandishing an unloaded shotgun does not help anyone.
-Matt

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.