Congresswoman struck by driver

Dedicated to the discussion of criminal activity and uses of firearms in lawful self defense.
KnightOfTheOldeCode
Site Admin

Post by KnightOfTheOldeCode » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:45 am

By G. SAM PIATT
PDT Staff Writer
U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt ap-peared to have no serious injuries from being knocked into a ditch by a hit-and-run driver early Wednesday morning in Miami Township, according to a report by the township police.

In the police report, Schmidt said, "I saw a car approaching. The driver appeared to be very close to the road's edge. The driver kept getting closer. I moved into the grass and realized the driver was going to hit me. So I turned my back to the car. He hit me, and it threw me into the ditch."

Schmidt said she did not see the driver clearly but it appeared to be a man.

The driver still hasn't been located, said Chief Steven Bailey of the Miami Township Police Department.

Schmidt is a former Miami Township trustee. She was struck by the car, a mid-sized sedan, she said, while running alongside Loveland-Miamiville Road about 5:45 a.m., according to the police report.

She told police the car never even slowed down.

She said the car struck her in the right hip with enough force that she figured the car must have been damaged by hitting her.

She said she got up from the ditch and flagged down a car, which took her home. She drove herself to the hospital.

Barry Bennett, her chief of staff, told Cincinnati Enquirer reporter Barrett Brunsman the congresswoman suffered only minor injuries.

"Other than being sore, she's fine. There was no bleeding, no broken bones. She was lucky," Bennett said.

Schmidt, 56, is a long-time runner who has competed in marathons.

Schmidt is traveling to Afghanistan at the request of the Pentagon and could not be reached for comment.

She's expected back Tuesday.

Schmidt is a Republican representing the 2nd Congressional District. The district covers six counties from Clermont County to Portsmouth.

Democrat Victoria Wulsin and Independent David Kirkorian are challenging her for the seat in the Nov. 4 election.
If People do their best what else is there?
Patton.

Then said he unto them, But now, He that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garmet, and buy one
Luke 22:36

mreising

Post by mreising » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Here is an update: According to the Cincinnati Enquirer this morning, when Schmidt's flight landed in Germany (Sunday or Monday) she passed out and was taken to a military hospital where it was discovered she had two broken ribs and two broken vertebrae. She returned on a commercial flight and went to the hospital (not the same one she went to at first) for treatment.
Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO, Refuse to Be a Victim

Little Miami Tactical LLC

Linda
Region Leader

Post by Linda » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Just my opinion, but I don't think this was an accident! Especially since she said she was off in the grass and he came at her. I would suspect the police to be looking closely at her opponents people that surround them.

Jean's a great lady!
2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor