Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: For those that don't know, all stolen guns must be reported!
Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:40 pm
FYI, for those that don't know, all stolen guns must be repo
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Many of us may not kow this, and I doubt most folks would fail to report a stolen or missing firearm. However if you do you are putting yourself in legal jeopardy under the Ohio revised code

2923.20 Unlawful transaction in weapons.
(A) No person shall:

(1) Recklessly sell, lend, give, or furnish any firearm to any person prohibited by section 2923.13 or 2923.15 of the Revised Code from acquiring or using any firearm, or recklessly sell, lend, give, or furnish any dangerous ordnance to any person prohibited by section 2923.13, 2923.15, or 2923.17 of the Revised Code from acquiring or using any dangerous ordnance;

(2) Possess any firearm or dangerous ordnance with purpose to dispose of it in violation of division (A) of this section;

(3) Manufacture, possess for sale, sell, or furnish to any person other than a law enforcement agency for authorized use in police work, any brass knuckles, cestus, billy, blackjack, sandbag, switchblade knife, springblade knife, gravity knife, or similar weapon;

(4) When transferring any dangerous ordnance to another, negligently fail to require the transferee to exhibit such identification, license, or permit showing him to be authorized to acquire dangerous ordnance pursuant to section 2923.17 of the Revised Code, or negligently fail to take a complete record of the transaction and forthwith forward a copy of that record to the sheriff of the county or safety director or police chief of the municipality where the transaction takes place;

(5) Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance in the person’s possession or under the person’s control.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful transactions in weapons. A violation of division (A)(1) or (2) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. A violation of division (A)(3) or (4) of this section is a misdemeanor of the second degree. A violation of division (A)(5) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Effective Date: 07-01-1996
Post subject: Re: For those that don't know, all stolen guns must be reported!
Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:44 pm
I have one or two that I did not bother to report.From the wording of this law,it is overly-broad and flakey.I am certain a good court defense could be made by some poor unfortunate that falls into the clutches of this black widows web.

Abiding by the law is a laudable thing to do:however,laws written to bewilder the layman are dangerous by nature.I suspect that this one was written to hide and hinder any defense.It was written by a lawyer for the interpretation of lawyers and judges.It was written to intimidate the everyman as well.

Might have to take it to a jury of my peers,if push comes to shove.Just thought that I would toss that out there.BTW:not everyone keeps good records of serial numbers and such;for their guns.I would dare them to prosecute grandpa/grandma for being a reckless felon.

Dennis R Mills
Post subject: Re: For those that don't know, all stolen guns must be repor
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:45 pm
Dennis: Are you sure you want to make that statement about not reporting on a public forum?

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO, Refuse to Be a Victim

Little Miami Tactical LLC
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:25 pm
Dennis:

Gotta hold with Mark here.... Not a good idea to admit to a crime in public....

Anybody's guess who's reading this.

If you don't want to edit your post, or can't, please let somebody know (I can do it)....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am
Quote:
No person shall Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance in the person’s possession or under the person’s control.

I'm at a loss to understand this sentence. If it is lost or stolen then how would it be in my possession or under my control?

Adding five words makes it clear.
No person shall Knowingly fail to report to law enforcement authorities forthwith the loss or theft of any firearm or dangerous ordnance that at the time was in the person’s possession or under the person’s control.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 am
col:

Just off the top of my greying head, the "that at the time was" probably is implied elsewhere in the ORC in one of those "singular means plural" comments. Be fun to play with in court, though, but IANAL, and don't have the budget :D....

Or somebody just mucked it up :mrgreen: ....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:14 am
so if you steal a gun should you report it? dont want to be in violation. haha.

Runs like a Deere; Smells like a John.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:02 am
Furthermore, if you do report a firearm or dangerous ordnance as lost or stolen and then recover it, report that it has been recovered! On one of the cop shows I watched recently, a guy was arrested because he was in possession of a gun that had been reported stolen... by the guy that was arrested! He had never reported that the gun had been recovered. Once the cops figured out what was going on, they all had a chuckle and "un-arrested" him.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 am
I reported a gun stolen in 1995 or so. An acquaintance stole it, I had the box with serial number, called the po-lice who summarily took down the information including the person's name and that was it. Nothing. Then six months later and every six months after that for 2 years I get a form letter form the local PeeDee asking me if: a) did you find your firearm? b) was if fired? c) was it used in a crime? After a few of these I went to the Captain down there and told them to stop being so stupid. I still miss that gun, it was an early 442 in nickel (looks just like a pre-lock 642), so I tried to follow up a few times to see if it was ever recovered in another crime. Of course not.

I do believe stolen guns should be reported, but I feel it's no more relevant than reporting a stolen bicycle or generator. It should be the owner's discretion on whether they report it or not. I did because that was one of the few guns I did a 4473 on, I liked it, I wanted the thief caught and prosecuted, and if I could prevent a further crime from happening all the better.

I also logged on to a website stolengun.com that lists guns stolen, but I do not believe the FBI or any other LE follows anything there.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:45 pm
Yeah right if I steel a gun I'm sure not going to report it!
haha...

Colorado

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same of them"
- John Wayne
Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:13 pm
Even if one doesnt care to follow the law it would be in the best interest to report it stolen. If you dont and its used in a crime, i think it would be a little late to tell the officer it was stolen a few months or days ago. The evidence lead to you now your saying conveniently it was stolen. just a thought.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]