Forum rules

The presence of an ad for services here, such as, but not limited to, Concealed Carry classes, does not imply that the BFA endorses, supports, or has vetted the instructor, agency, course, or content. See http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8028 for more.

Please refer to he Class/Event Posting Rules at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16733.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Tactical First Aid by Greg Ellifritz from TDI, AAR (5-7-11)
Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:22 pm
I would like to start out by thanking Linda for hosting this class, and Greg for putting it on.

Greg is an excellent instructor. His class was easy to follow, covered a lot of material during the allotted time, but not so much that the material couldn't be retained. He was very personable, kept the class fun without getting too far off topic, and was more than willing to stop for questions. I highly recommend him as an instructor, and I would love to train with him again.

The bulk of the class was dedicated to stopping life threatening bleeding using techniques such as pressure dressings, tourniquets, and hemostatic agents. We had "hands on" training in the use of Israeli, cinch type and H bandages, in addition to the Carlisle dressing most of us veterans are familiar with. We also covered irrigating wounds, wound packing, sealing wounds, etc. After that we moved on to tourniquets. We had some hands on time with CAT tourniquets (Special Operations Command approved), and TK4's which are less expensive and in use by the Navy. Greg then closed the bleeding portion of the class with improvised techniques.

There were several interesting sidebar conversations covering topics like "a lot of people are allergic to one of the antibiotics in Neosporin, may be better keeping Polysporin in your kit" and "mixing Tylenol and Advil gives about as good of a non narcotic pain relief as you'll find for field medicine". Please note: Only use Tylenol (Acetaminophen) if they are bleeding because it isn't a blood thinner.

The rest of the class was dedicated to Airway Management and Breathing Problems. We covered topics such as opening the airway and inserting an NPA. Also covered was the process to treat for tension pneumothorax if the casualty has a corso wound combined with progressive respiratory distress.

All in all, it was an excellent class. I highly recommend taking it if you get the chance. I wouldn't even mind taking it again myself. It was definitely one of the bigger training bargains out there at $50. Anyone who was interested, but didn't attend, definitely missed the boat by not going today.

Jay
Post subject: Re: Tactical First Aid by Greg Ellifritz from TDI, AAR (5-7-
Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Thanks Jay for the most excellant review and for attending. Greg and I are going to look at our calendars and host another class probably Sept/Oct sometime.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:00 pm
You're welcome, Linda.

Same class, or branching out to other subjects?

Jay
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:53 am
There's a need for the same class to reach out to others, but if he's got other goodies up his sleeve, I would be MORE than happy to host them.

2009 NRA "Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award" recipient
Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
Buckeye Firearms Association's Vice President
NRA Benefactor Member, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA-EVC, Realtor
Region Leader
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:48 am
It sounds like Mrs J, who is an RN, is interested in going to the next class. I'll definitely be taking it again if she wants to go.

Jay
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]