Forum rules

The presence of an ad for services here, such as, but not limited to, Concealed Carry classes, does not imply that the BFA endorses, supports, or has vetted the instructor, agency, course, or content. See http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8028 for more.

Please refer to he Class/Event Posting Rules at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16733.
 Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author
Post subject: NRA Basic Pistol reminder of blended learning-soon!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 am
Blended Learning
The NRA plans to roll out the new blended pistol course before the end of the year, and completely replace the pistol course as it is now conducted by the end of the first quarter of 2016. This means that the current packets and certificates will become obsolete, so we want to make sure you consider that when placing your orders.NRA Pistol Instructors will be provided with a new Instructor Led Training (ILT) lesson plan, which will be downloadable right on your NRAInstructors.org account page. Basic pistol students will come to your course with a solid foundation, which they learned in the e-learning module. The ILT portion of the course will consist of a firearm and range safety review, fundamentals, practical handling exercises using each action type with dummy ammunition, shooting positions, and shooting to a standard with a qualification shoot requirement. Once you are satisfied that the students have fulfilled each learning objective, you can check them as passed and print their certificates through NRAInstructors.org. We anticipate reaching more people than ever before. There will be two ways for students to find your course – the way they currently do, where you advertise on nrainstructors.org, or they will be directed to your courses if they found out about the NRA Basic Pistol Course from another source. They will provide more information as it develops.
It makes sense that if instructors have the current student packets that we help each other out by sharing and use them up!
Bill

Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, Varmint Hunters Association member
Post subject: Re: NRA Basic Pistol reminder of blended learning-soon!
Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 am
I still think the NRA is misfiring on this one.

My partner and I have discussed it and will not be moving to this format for our Ohio CHL classes. We believe the student - instructor and student - student interaction in a classroom setting is invaluable. The hands-on materials we use the and one-on-one instruction we provide simply cannot be replicated in an online format. Plus, we go beyond the NRA Basic Pistol curriculum and exceed Ohio's requirements by covering practical and legal aspects of carrying. Adding a couple of hours to the NRA class while you already have the students in the classroom is one thing, tacking it onto the range time is something else entirely.

We will either be developing our own curriculum and issue our own certificates or will move to another curriculum from a national gun rights organization. Depending on how things go, we may well let our NRA Instructor certification lapse and move to another organization. USCCA, are you listening?

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:35 pm
Please watch for a USCCA Certified Instructor training class to be organized here in mid-Ohio soon. All indicators are that the USCCA Certificates (issued by USCCA Certified Instructors not Afflilates) should be approved as NRA certificates have been for CHL application.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:22 pm
caver wrote:
Please watch for a USCCA Certified Instructor training class to be organized here in mid-Ohio soon.

Be sure to post the information in the forums here when that happens, if you don't mind.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 am
I certainly will.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 am
I am agreement with Justashooter. I don't think that you can replace the face-to-face interaction between student and instructor. While the on-line blended format might provide the same information, in my opinion, I don't think that you can ascertain that your student has integrated the information that they've read on-line, even if they are tested. Like Justashooter, I have gone beyond what the NRA requires for instruction in the Basic Pistol course and bring a lawyer (either a criminal defense attorney or an Assistant Prosecutor from a nearby county) in to talk about the legal aspects of use of Deadly Force. Yes, I charge more than other instructors, but I can sleep at night knowing that I have provided them with information that they can use to make an informed decision when/if they carry.

I may change my mind about teaching the NRA Basic Pistol course and either become certified as a USCCA Instructor or just teach the NRA PPIH and PPOH courses.

By the by, I didn't see anything in the O.R.C. that said that the NRA or OPOTA instructed courses are the only pathway to obtaining a CHL in Ohio. I think that the USCCA certificate would fall under the same category as a nationally recognized organization.

Uncle Duke

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Member
GOAL Member
Range Safety Officer
NRA Pistol,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor, Certified UT, MD, MA Handgun & LEOSA Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:09 pm
Uncle Duke wrote:
I didn't see anything in the O.R.C. that said that the NRA or OPOTA instructed courses are the only pathway to obtaining a CHL in Ohio. I think that the USCCA certificate would fall under the same category as a nationally recognized organization.

Indeed, I believe the USCCA was exactly who they had in mind when the law was changed to say "It utilized qualified instructors who were certified by a national gun advocacy organization" instead of limiting it to NRA and OPOTA instructors.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 am
The latest update from the NRA TC department is that they will activate the Blended Learning on the Basic Pistol Classes sometime in early 2016, and they have decided on a 90 day transition period. So if you purchase student packets they will be good for the 90 day period immediately after start of the Blended Learning Classes.

Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, Varmint Hunters Association member
Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:47 pm
There will be a USCCA Certified Instructor class held at the Richwood Gun and Game Club January 30 & 31 , 2016. Details regarding registration, class fees and other information is available at http://richwoodgunandgameclub.org/trainingandclasses.html
I can also be contacted via the Richwood Gun and Game Club Contact page for more information.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:56 pm
I have a pile of BP packets it is looking like I am going to be stuck with. If anybody needs any drop me an email at [email protected]

drop the SPAM in that address :-).

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:20 pm
My partner and I managed to end up with just about enough to meet our needs for our last NRA class. We are working on our own curriculum, test and certificate for the next class. Now, we just have to make sure we don't lose our NRA certification - I've heard they will be requiring us to teach at least one NRA class each year to keep our ratings.

BTW, has anyone else looked over the instructor portion of the new blended learning? The way I read it, instructors are still going to be spending 5 hours with the students, 3 classroom/evaluation and 2 on the range. I still haven't seen anything about the online portion yet, anyone have any details - especially time the students will be taking on the online portion, and what they will be paying the NRA?

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:56 am
Well we had a class lined up but the group backed out, leaving us with a stack of the packets.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:39 am
Sorry I forgot to update this. Somebody in IL spoke for the packets and I shipped them out. Their class is 16 hours and goes two days....they are shoveling in money hand over fist teaching CCW classes.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:55 am
If the online portion costs $20 or less, I'll have no problem continuing to teach the NRA curriculum. If it's much more than that, I'll stick with my own for the majority of classes.

While the state requirement is 8 hours, that IS a minimum. With the blended training, I would still schedule an 8 hour class...with the added advantage of being able to cut the class short without becoming a felon. :)

If some students show competency sooner than others, sign off on them and cut them loose. That will give me more time to focus on the remaining students.

What does a caring, sensitive
person feel when they are forced
to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:24 pm
So if I have packets left, when do they actually expire? When is the last class I can hold and still be recognized by the state so students are able to apply for a concealed handgun license?
 Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next