Forum rules

The presence of an ad for services here, such as, but not limited to, Concealed Carry classes, does not imply that the BFA endorses, supports, or has vetted the instructor, agency, course, or content. See http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8028 for more.

Please refer to he Class/Event Posting Rules at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16733.
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: Conducting our own training
Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:40 pm
I see no one has been on this forum for a long time. I hope someone see's this. I have been told that as an instructor we were permitted to not do the blended classes and still run our own classes with our own materials and still use our NRA cert to do it. Now I have heard a rumor that if you no longer run a certified NRA course then you will not be able to renew your teaching cert. I have come to this forum in desperation because of contacting a NRA board member I got a very vague answer telling me I should contact the NRA Training Dept. I can't find a "contact us" , a phone number or anything on the instructor page of the NRA website. If the NRA will still allow us to continue teaching our own classes, meeting and exceeding the ORC criteria, with our own "graduation " certificates I need to have something in writing from the NRA saying that it's OK to do this. Can anyone help me out here?
Post subject: Re: Conducting our own training
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:42 pm
Ohio requires the instructor to be certified by a national gun rights organization like the NRA (or OPOTA, but that's a different topic) but does not require you to teach their curriculum. So yes, under Ohio law you can teach your own curriculum using your own materials and issue your own certificates as long as the class meets the requirements under Ohio law. You will need to include your NRA Instructor ID on either the certificate or a separate affidavit certifying the class meets the requirements under Ohio law. No need for anything formal in writing from the NRA to do this.

As to the NRA, there has been talk about them requiring that you teach a certain number of NRA classes with a certain minimum number of students to be able to renew your certification. As far as I can tell, they have not yet done that so for now, nothing to worry about, but it could eventually happen. When it does, you can either comply with their recertification requirements or drop your NRA certification and either stop offering classes or get certified by another organization like USCCA.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm
Thank you JustaShooter. The above mentioned board member told me to contact the Atty. General's office (which I don't know has anything to do with my question), and then gave me a number to call the NRA Training Dept, which I'm going to do.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:38 pm
He told you to call the OH AG because he doesn't know OH law on the topic - and the AG is who ultimately enforces the law, so that was appropriate. The OH AG might even give you an opinion, but take a look at http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125, which is OH law on the application process which includes the instructor and training requirements - it boils down to essentially what I said above.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
 Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]