Forum rules


Moderator Aaron: The U.S. Sportsman's Alliance has given BFA (and me personally) permission to reproduce any of their articles here in the Great Outdoors forum or on our home page, in their entirety, as long as the original source is given credit.
 Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author
Message
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm
how about just using the blue dummy bullets

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress:FrederickDouglass

learning is good .understanding is better .pleas teach with wisdom
Top
Offline
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 7:49 pm
Posts: 282
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 pm
Assuming that the 3-round limit will be enforced on pistol caliber rifles, would filling the tubular magazine of a lever-action rifle with enough dummy rounds to limit live-round capacity to 3 be considered acceptable by the DNR? The DNR might say that it would be too easy for someone to replace the dummy rounds with live rounds after the DNR officer departs, but it would be even easier to replace a limited-to-3-rounds box magazine with a standard magazine in the same circumstance.

Zeko
Top
Offline
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Central Ohio
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 am
There are detachable magazine fed shotguns being used now for deer and waterfowl. So, whatever protocol that is in place for those will work for every other gun.

Dummy rounds would rock! I hope that idea happens. Anyone can comply with that provided they find a suitable and approved plugging method.

Proud Member of the NRA, Crossbow Nation, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Freedom Alliance

So! This is how liberty dies...With thunderous applause.
Top
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 pm
Posts: 3243
Location: Newark, OH
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 pm
You better check what ODNR is proposing:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife-ho ... bag-limits
A proposal was also offered that would allow the use of pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The proposal is designed to allow additional gun-hunting opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the proposed rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.


I'm sorry, but I have to cry B.S.! I sure hope this is NOT the actual text, but more of a description with examples. From that quoted text above this means the .450 Bushmaster is out along with numerous other straight-walled cartridges. Looks like using any wildcats or new developed cartridges would be out based on the text too.
Top
Offline
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:20 am
Posts: 123
Location: Springfield, OH
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 am
I agree with you. I have a 450 marlin bolt action I am hoping to use. Magnum research makes their bfr handgun in 450 marlin and I have hunted with it here in ohio in an encore. I hope this isn't a specific list.
Top
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 pm
Posts: 17
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm
Think this was mentioned in another thread, but try to keep in mind that it's been a long tedious process to get ODNR to change their regulations with regards to inclusion of "new" firearms for hunting. Contact them frequently and be patient.

"I have decided not to vote, speak in public, assemble in groups or petition my government either directly or by writing to the newspapers.

Some ignorant person may become alarmed, and we can't have that.''

--CAR15A2, 3/31/09
Top
Offline
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 pm
Posts: 1941
Location: SW Ohio
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm
spook1 wrote:
I agree with you. I have a 450 marlin bolt action I am hoping to use. Magnum research makes their bfr handgun in 450 marlin and I have hunted with it here in ohio in an encore. I hope this isn't a specific list.


Spook1...see my post in the linked thread below:
http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18576&p=129191#p129191

Also...did a little research last night and there are at least 12 SAAMI cartridges that ODNR left off the list.
Top
Offline
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:20 am
Posts: 123
Location: Springfield, OH
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:53 pm
If they started off just allowing .45 LC and .44mag in rifles but nothing else that would've still been quite an accomplishment. I'm happy about the new options and I'm sure they'll get better.

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Top
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Centerburg, Ohio
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm
jcsabolt2 wrote:
You better check what ODNR is proposing:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife-ho ... bag-limits
A proposal was also offered that would allow the use of pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The proposal is designed to allow additional gun-hunting opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the proposed rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.


I'm sorry, but I have to cry B.S.! I sure hope this is NOT the actual text, but more of a description with examples. From that quoted text above this means the .450 Bushmaster is out along with numerous other straight-walled cartridges. Looks like using any wildcats or new developed cartridges would be out based on the text too.


MANY people think the list that is published now for handguns is EXCLUSIVE, IE they feel that ctg NOT on the list are not legal, and that is NOT true....the list for handguns just illustrates SOME legal ctg. but ones not on the list that still meet the requirements ARE LEGAL.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Top
Offline
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3180
Location: Exit 13 on the Ohio pike
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm
NRAInstructor wrote:
If they started off just allowing .45 LC and .44mag in rifles but nothing else that would've still been quite an accomplishment. I'm happy about the new options and I'm sure they'll get better.

I don't understand all the complaining either. We're talking about adding pistol-caliber rifles and people are complaining that .338 Win Mag isn't on the list... what's up with that?

My guess is that if we make enough noise we can get them to back-track to the point where we'll be lucky to use a recurve with field points.

--
James Beatty
Top
Offline
User avatar
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:33 pm
Posts: 1502
Location: East of Cincinnati
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:17 am
^^^This^^^
Even if the final rule ends up with the list being the only approved calibers, it is a vast improvement over the zero we have now. We can get improvements down the road, just like we have been doing with concealed carry.

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO, Refuse to Be a Victim

Little Miami Tactical LLC
Top
Offline
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
Posts: 372
Location: WARREN COUNTY
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 am
jabeatty wrote:
NRAInstructor wrote:
If they started off just allowing .45 LC and .44mag in rifles but nothing else that would've still been quite an accomplishment. I'm happy about the new options and I'm sure they'll get better.

I don't understand all the complaining either. We're talking about adding pistol-caliber rifles and people are complaining that .338 Win Mag isn't on the list... what's up with that?

My guess is that if we make enough noise we can get them to back-track to the point where we'll be lucky to use a recurve with field points.


Well these folks at the DNR are public employees, and they are paid with our tax dollars, so they work FOR us not vice versa.

But we seem to do pretty well in Ohio getting things done in increments. IMHO the DNR would rather do away with gun hunting totally if they could get away with it.

Bill

America NO LONGER held hostage by ZERO the lying dictator.......:-)

Ohio, a government of the unions, by the unions, for the unions
Top
Offline
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 3180
Location: Exit 13 on the Ohio pike
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:10 pm
Any updates on how the meetings went. My mother had emergency surgery yesterday evening and I couldn't get to Athens for my local meeting. Any updates on the straight walled cases is appreciated.
Top
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:53 pm
Posts: 17
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 am
spook1 wrote:
Any updates on how the meetings went. My mother had emergency surgery yesterday evening and I couldn't get to Athens for my local meeting. Any updates on the straight walled cases is appreciated.


We had a Wildlife Officer show up at our club meeting last night to talk about this and a few other things. His opinion was that it will pass, which is good to hear. He said a lot of people were supporting it and he has not really heard of any opposition. He also said the final vote is coming up. Maybe March 14th?

Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews
Top
Offline
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:18 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Centerburg, Ohio
Post subject: Re: Pistol Caliber Rifles For Deer Hunting
Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 am
Quick response I have heard is that it was 95% in favor of PCR. Was some discussion on the caliber list.
Even at the Ohio Hunter Education banquet they raffled off a .357 rifle and said it will come in handy this fall in their announcement letter.

JLE

Image
Top
Offline
Region Leader
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 948
Location: SW Ohio
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Search for:
Jump to: