Need permit to reload?

Handloading and Ammunition topics

Moderators: NRAInstructor, Rich 2.0

shibadad

Need permit to reload?

Post by shibadad » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 am

I saw reference to ORC2923.17 in another part of the forum and looking at it I see, (B) No person shall manufacture or process an explosive at any location in this state unless the person first has been issued a license, certificate of registration, or permit to do so from a fire official of a political subdivision of this state or from the office of the fire marshal.

Do you need a permit to reload? Are reloaders excused from this part of the ORC by another part?

NRAInstructor

Re: Need permit to reload?

Post by NRAInstructor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:06 am

That looks like it's for explosives and not related to ammo at all. You need a license to manufacture ammo if you are selling it, not for your own use.
Joel
NRA Certified Instructor,Member and Recruiter
Centerburg Conservation Club Trustee
CCC Range committee and Lake committee
Second Call Defense Recruiter

If you like guns, click here! https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/sign ... ID=nranews

Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:43 pm

What NRAI said, If you're reloading to sell you'll need a license, if it's just for your self (I'd imaging sharing among friends/family/etc is also ok) you're fine.

small arms ammo is not considered an explosive.

although I think I did read some obscure law pertaining to quantities stored in a house.. something like 10k primers and 10lb of powder or something, I don't recall..

It should'nt be an issue unless maybe you have a fire and your insurance finds a way of weaseling out of paying.
  • If you can't hit the broad side of a barn, You're not using enough bullets.
  • Zombies are the Trash-men of Humanity.
  • Certified Ammosexual, lolzImage

color of law

Post by color of law » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Joe Sixpack wrote:It should'nt be an issue unless maybe you have a fire and your insurance finds a way of weaseling out of paying.
Most home owner insurance policies have a paragraph dealing with this.

diamondsun

Post by diamondsun » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Chapter 1301:7-7 Ohio Fire Code
Exception: Storage in Group R-3 occupancies of smokeless propellant, black powder and small arms primers for personal use, not for resale and in accordance with paragraph (F)(3306) of rule 1301:7-7-33 of the Administrative Code.
4.The possession, storage and use of not more than 1 pound ( 0.454kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and 10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.

It's also in the State Fire Code
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.

color of law

Post by color of law » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm

diamondsun wrote:Chapter 1301:7-7 Ohio Fire Code
Exception: Storage in Group R-3 occupancies of smokeless propellant, black powder and small arms primers for personal use, not for resale and in accordance with paragraph (F)(3306) of rule 1301:7-7-33 of the Administrative Code.
4.The possession, storage and use of not more than 1 pound ( 0.454kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and 10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.

So, per the state fire marshal you are not sitting on an arsenal until you have 10,001 + rounds.....

Rich 2.0

Post by Rich 2.0 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:37 pm

So, per the state fire marshal you are not sitting on an arsenal until you have 10,001 + rounds.....

OH SHI% ..................................... :roll:
We can rebuild him, we can make him stronger, we can make him faster, we can make him politically correct..NOT !!!

"Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office."

centurynick

Post by centurynick » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 pm

um........
lots of black rifles, way too many hand guns, and motorcycles

fatbaldguy

Post by fatbaldguy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:41 am

diamondsun wrote:Chapter 1301:7-7 Ohio Fire Code
4.The possession, storage and use of not more than 1 pound ( 0.454kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder,

Hell, I don't shoot muzzleloader competition anymore, but usually kept around 25#, if not more when I did. I bet I still have 4 or 5# around here somewhere.
I eat meat, smoke cigars, drink bourbon, and shoot guns. Not necessarily in that order. JR Terriers are big dogs in little bodies.