Forum rules

Please have a look at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 before diving too deeply into the board.

Enjoy!
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Author
Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 am
Hello all, just moved here from Kentucky. Does anyone know if I need to jump through all of the same hoops for my CCW in Ohio. Guessing I probably do, but hoping there is an easier way. Kentucky's requirements are almost identical, class, shooting proficiency, background check. Thank you!
Post subject: Re: New from Kentucky
Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
To get your Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) you will need to take a class that qualifies and pay the fee and apply. No shortcuts unfortunately. However, since we have a written reciprocal agreement with Kentucky you can carry on your Kentucky license until it expires (assuming it isn't revoked when you establish residency in OH), giving you plenty of time to jump through those hoops.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post subject: Re: New from Kentucky
Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:11 pm
tgm5471:

Welcome Aboard!

I see JustaShooter has more or less answered your question. The bad news is that it'll cost you about $150. The good news is that you can handle that with one day of classroom + range time, and it'll take about a month at worst. Meantime, if your KY license is still valid, it's good here for a while.

(I haven't looked up the costs in a while, so don't hold me to that figure, but it's pretty close.)

I think you'll still need a drugstore passport photo with your application (Walgreens did a fine job on my last renewal), but that's about the worst of the extra stuff. (Lawrence County PA, where I renewed my PA license in May, requires two LOCAL references. Not a problem for me, but not everybody lives so close to PA that an errant shot from my club's outdoor range can land in PA. :) )

Each Sheriff does things a little differently, but I used Columbiana County, and their procedure is:

1. Visit the "Downtown" Sheriff's Office to drop off your application and give 'em your money.

2. Wait about a week and go to the Sheriff's Station at the Jail (way outside of town) to start the paperwork.

3. Wait another week and go to the Jail again to finish the process and walk out with your new license.

For an in-state renewal, steps 2 and 3 could be handled together in about an hour (of mostly waiting), but they severely restrict the availability of the Deputies who handle this. Some counties don't.... A new application from somebody who's just moved into OH takes a little longer.

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you may want to have a look at, but it's not mandatory and may be hazardous to your health. Just a bit about how this place works, and who's here. You don't need to go past the first couple pages.

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]