Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: New member & legal question
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:23 pm
Hello all! I just moved back to the Buckeye state after a two year work assignment in Tennessee. While in Tennessee, I obtained my Concealed Carry permit for the state of TN. It appears that I need to take the Ohio required 8 hour class and apply for my Ohio. However, my questions:

1) Do I need to take the class in Ohio in order to apply for Ohio?
2) *Most importantly": Is there a grace period that I can legally carry in Ohio with my TN permit (since it is a reciprocal state) while I wait for my Ohio class and application/permit?

I want to continue to carry while I wait for my Ohio credentials. Any advice on this? (Note: I still have a TN driver's license, I've been back in Ohio for almost 2 months though.

Thanks to all, looking forward to hearing from ya!

John
Post subject: Re: New member & legal question
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:33 pm
1) You do not have to take the class in Ohio, but there are a couple of requirements that must be met that are unlikely to be handled in an out-of-state class.

2) As far as Ohio is concerned, since Ohio has a written reciprocity agreement with TN, your TN license is legal for you to carry in Ohio until it expires or is no longer valid. You might make sure TN doesn't revoke it when you are no longer a TN resident, some states do that.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:33 pm
I believe there will be a transition period where you will not have a license to conceal. What amount of time that is I don't know. However, open carry without a license in Ohio is legal. But, you can't carry in your car.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:44 pm
You have to be a resident of Ohio for at least 45 days.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56 pm
So is the recommendation that I do not carry until I am licensed in Ohio? Open carry is not an option for me. Not a fan of that.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:38 pm
I think COL is remembering an older version of the law. You no longer have to be a resident of Ohio for 45 days to get your Ohio Concealed Handgun License, as soon as you take the class, you can apply.

In the mean time, you can carry on your FL license since we have a written reciprocity agreement with FL. See ORC 109.69 (B)(1)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

Quote:
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

And for the reciprocity agreement with FL, see this page and click on Florida:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law- ... Agreements

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:19 pm
That sounds awesome. It's still good for two more years, so can I carry it for two more? Btw, it's TN :)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:14 pm
Oops, I knew it was TN, not sure why I put FL in that last reply.

But, as long as TN still considers it valid after you become an Ohio resident, yes, you can carry until it expires. I couldn't find anything with a quick scan through their laws about it no longer being valid after you are no longer a resident, but you are required to notify them of any address change within 60 days.

NRA Life Member
Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:20 pm
John:

Welcome aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory. Might be sleep inducing, too. The first couple pages are sufficient to give you an idea of who's here, and how this place works.

I think the guy's covered your question pretty well - I can't add anything. Your prior training may be applicable, but it's a "who knows?" for me. Other than the PITA factor of finding time and paying for it, the actual course isn't too difficult.

Enjoy!

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:10 am
JustaShooter wrote:
I think COL is remembering an older version of the law. You no longer have to be a resident of Ohio for 45 days to get your Ohio Concealed Handgun License, as soon as you take the class, you can apply.

In the mean time, you can carry on your FL license since we have a written reciprocity agreement with FL. See ORC 109.69 (B)(1)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

Quote:
(B)

(1) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section or the attorney general determines that the eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

And for the reciprocity agreement with FL, see this page and click on Florida:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law- ... Agreements

Who? Me? Wrong???? Unbelievable, couldn't be? Well, maybe once. Thanks for the correction!!!!!!
Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:39 pm
jdoz22 wrote:
Hello all! I just moved back to the Buckeye state after a two year work assignment in Tennessee. While in Tennessee, I obtained my Concealed Carry permit for the state of TN. It appears that I need to take the Ohio required 8 hour class and apply for my Ohio. However, my questions:

1) Do I need to take the class in Ohio in order to apply for Ohio?
2) *Most importantly": Is there a grace period that I can legally carry in Ohio with my TN permit (since it is a reciprocal state) while I wait for my Ohio class and application/permit?

I want to continue to carry while I wait for my Ohio credentials. Any advice on this? (Note: I still have a TN driver's license, I've been back in Ohio for almost 2 months though.

Thanks to all, looking forward to hearing from ya!

John

The recent changes in Ohio law changed a lot of things. You now can carry on your previous state's license for a period of six months after establishing reciprocity here. However, since we have reciprocity with Tennessee, you can continue to carry on it after that time until it expires. It would be a good idea to get your Ohio license as I believe the only other state that is honored by as many states as Ohio is Missouri. Further, there are some states that will not honor a non-residential license such as Michigan, Colorado and Florida. There is also the school zone issue, though I don't think that is a serious problem if you're not doing anything else illegal.

Do make sure that your Tennessee license is still good after leaving the state.

-- Mike
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:11 am
Thanks a bunch, everyone! I took my Ohio class this past weekend and have my cert. The perception of the instructors was "Why not keep carrying your TN until it nears expiration". So, I'm going to continue to carry with my TN permit until such time that I need to get an Ohio (~18 months).
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]