Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
Author
Post subject: CHL, SB199, Motorcycles, and my workplace parking
Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 am
Hello BFA,

I have a question about my CHL, SB199, motorcycles, and my workplace parking. I read that I can keep my firearm in a locked area inside my car and also my trunk. I ride a motorcycle to work and I do have lockable luggage on my bike, but does the law allow me to move a firearm from my person to my lockable luggage? I would think this would be the same as a car trunk. The way my company policy was changed, it sounds like I have to enter the property with it in my trunk already. They don't want me leaving the car with it on my person. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks!
Post subject: Re: CHL, SB199, Motorcycles, and my workplace parking
Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 am
tpthatsme:

Welcome Aboard!

There's a sticky at http://forums.buckeyefirearms.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10097 that you should have a look at, but it's not mandatory. I think the Geneva Convention folks are upset about it, too.... :D

If you have a CHL IMHO you should be able to find a quiet (and relatively invisible) place to swap your gun into some kinds of luggage, bag, etc. "Management" may not take to kindly about seeing you do it, though. I think I'd just put the gun in the unlocked luggage, and lock it up when I got into the parking lot.

If you haven't got a CHL, UNLOAD IT first, and then lock it up before you leave your driveway (or parking area) and keep it locked in there until you get home. You cannot carry a firearm, loaded or not, unless it's fully secured without a license.

We have more than a few others here who will likely chime in and tell me I'm full of it :). I will admit to being old....

Regards,

Stu

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

יזכר לא עד פעם
Site Admin
Post subject: Re: CHL, SB199, Motorcycles, and my workplace parking
Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:01 pm
Stu, with respect, a bit of that advice is incorrect. SB199 only protects you from employer, land owner or business owner prohibitions if you have CHL.

I ride as well, and thanks to SB199, have been riding Harley to work nearly each day for last 2 weeks, carrying .45.

Read the law carefully again. I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding:
> When you're on a motorcycle, you're not _IN_ a motor vehicle, you're _ON_ a motor vehicle.
> The firearm and all ammo only has to stay IN the vehicle while you are IN the vehicle.
> You can lock firearm and all ammo in a container ON your vehicle.
> It's also my understanding that you CAN carry a loaded firearm on a motorcycle via open carry without a CHL, but then you're not protected by SB199.

So, ride to work, concealed or open, doesn't matter. Lock firearm in saddlebag or trunk on bike, along with spare mags/moon clips/speed loaders, and you're good to go.

In theory, as long as you have your CHL, you could also carry SBR this way. However, you'd need a really big saddlebag, like a Victory Vision or Magnum.

IANAL

-ddh
 Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]