Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-resident Permits and ORC 106.69(B)(1)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-resident Permits and ORC 106.69(B)(1)

I tried for a while to find any threads on this subject but failed.

Ohio Revised Code 106.69(B)(1) clearly states that CCW permits for other states with which the Ohio Attorney General has signed a reciprocity agreement are valid in Ohio for Ohio residents. Meaning that you could legally carry in Ohio, as an Ohio resident, with a permit issued by another state such as Virginia, Utah, New Hampshire, etc., where there is an explicit reciprocity agreement with Ohio.

Does anyone know if any incidents where this has been put to test, or where Ohio law enforcement officers have shown to be aware or ignorant of this law?

I was previously carrying in Ohio with my Virginia non-resident permit but was neglectful and let it expire, and now Virginia's renewal processing times are pushing 2-3 months. With all the delays in processing times in Ohio and all the sheriff's offices closing down and no longer providing fingerprinting services, I am submitting an application for a New Hampshire non-resident permit, which has an explicit reciprocity agreement with Ohio, does not require training, and is bound by law to be issued within 14 days.

Aside: ORC 106.69(B)(2) states that CCW permits for ANY other state are valid in Ohio for new Ohio residents for 6 months after they become an Ohio resident.

References:
    ORC 109.69 - http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69
    OH AG Reciprocity Agreements - https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...ity-Agreements
    New Hampshire CHL Application Process - https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...ing/plupr.html

I have always had an Ohio license...along with an out of state license (both PA and VA). Let the PA lapse when they changed their application process to an in-person only system. I have carried with only my non-resident license on my person, but never had an interaction with LE. Ohio has had at least limited reciprocity in place since early on when HB12 first went into effect. The AG has entered into MANY more reciprocity agreements since, making it largely unnecessary to get non resident licenses anymore (doesn't add any xtra states). LEO's are well aware that other states licenses are valid here. I have never heard of an instance like you are concerned about above.

FYI, the "bound by law" part of NH issuing within 14 days is all well and good, but who's to say under current circumstances WHEN it will actually be issued. Ohio law states that Sheriffs offices MUST accept applications and supporting documents 15hrs/week, yet they are NOT right now. The state quickly agreed to extend the grace period for an expired license... kinda hard to attack them for not accepting applications during a pandemic now.

If you had an Ohio license, they have extended the 30 day grace period for an undetermined amount of time after the current "crisis" has passed. Should have gotten an Ohio license long ago. Good luck with the NH thing, and let us know how you fare...
    Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      If you had an Ohio license, they have extended the 30 day grace period for an undetermined amount of time after the current "crisis" has passed.
      Is this by legislation or executive/emergency order of the governor? Can you provide a link?
      Christian, Husband, Father
      NRA Life Member
      NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
      NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Comment

I went ahead and created a new thread for it justashooter.... it's labeled "Coronavirus response" on this shat board.
        Hence it is, that democracies have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have, in general, been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. James Madison, Federalist Paper No 10

Comment

I have always had an Ohio license...along with an out of state license (both PA and VA). Let the PA lapse when they changed their application process to an in-person only system. I have carried with only my non-resident license on my person, but never had an interaction with LE. Ohio has had at least limited reciprocity in place since early on when HB12 first went into effect. The AG has entered into MANY more reciprocity agreements since, making it largely unnecessary to get non resident licenses anymore (doesn't add any xtra states). LEO's are well aware that other states licenses are valid here. I have never heard of an instance like you are concerned about above.
          I've never had an Ohio license, just a VA non-res that I inadvertently let lapse. I'm sure that OH LEO are aware of reciprocity agreements and other states' permits being valid in Ohio, but I just haven't heard of any instance of interaction with LEO where an OH resident *only* has an out-of-state license and no OH license at all.

FYI, the "bound by law" part of NH issuing within 14 days is all well and good, but who's to say under current circumstances WHEN it will actually be issued. Ohio law states that Sheriffs offices MUST accept applications and supporting documents 15hrs/week, yet they are NOT right now. The state quickly agreed to extend the grace period for an expired license... kinda hard to attack them for not accepting applications during a pandemic now.
          We'll see. I figured that NH would probably not have as much of a run for CCW permits since they have constitutional carry and residents only get them now for reciprocity benefits in other states. I wasn't expecting to actually get the permit in 14 days during all of this, but I'm sure it will be a quicker process than getting an OH license from scratch right now.

I'll update this thread when (if?) I finally get the NH license.

Comment

Working...
          X